$10 DIY Neck Seal v1

The draught excluder came today, and an old black T-shirt was consigned to experimentation :D<br>

I think the first attempt came out really well... Used the sleeve of T-shirt, with a 4" strip of the armpit material retained as a bib.<br>

I don't have any black velcro at the moment, but utilised what I had for this first prototype, and used some snaps that I normally use for leatherworking. Not ideal looking at the join, but easily covered, and I'd make it slightly different next time.<br>

Here it is on 'Manakkin'...post-27182-0-68456300-1454335664_thumb.jpeg<br>

Edit: photo on its side? Strange. Anyway, 6m of the excluder cost £3.39. I used 6 lines on this one and have enough left to make another one with 8 lines (and the other sleeve of the T-shirt). Total cost per neck seal - £1.70 each plus an old T.

Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 1

Wow, well done! Looks great. Did you go for the P profile strip or D shape? Can you share how you attached it to the t-shirt?

Many thanks

Gareth

Hi, thanks. It was the 'D' profile (two joined D profiles per strip). It's a really ugly connection, but it was a make-it-up as I went along process.

I'll post a pic of the join asap. The self-adhesive tape does adhere pretty well to the shirt.

Thanks humperdingle. The P shape is smaller and looks like it might be more accurate, plus you could possibly overlap the flat section in theory to hide the gaps. Won't know until I try it out I guess!

Yeh, you can only try!

Sorry about the quality of the pics - i'm running out of photo space!

As I said... Reeeeally ugly. 3 x chicago screws down one side, so the joining leather is fixed at one side, and 3 x popper snaps down the other. The gap was just a mis-measurement due to my fat neck! Could be covered by a loop of black material, I suppose, but it's fine to stay on the mannequin.

Edited by humperdingle

Ok, made another - much happier with this one, but still not 100%<br><br>

Tried to conceal as much as possible. Might still need a little cover material, but gap does shrink when worn.<br><br>

post-27182-0-19401400-1454436266_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, made another - much happier with this one, but still not 100%<br><br>

Tried to conceal as much as possible. Might still need a little cover material, but gap does shrink when worn.<br><br>

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I have the same problem with mine. I am going to add a bit of fabric to the ends. I tried everything I could think of hook and eye, velcro on the edge. The only thing I am going to try before sewing on fabric is magnets. That may help keep it flush. If not, fabric is an easy fix. 

I have the same problem with mine. I am going to add a bit of fabric to the ends. I tried everything I could think of hook and eye, velcro on the edge. The only thing I am going to try before sewing on fabric is magnets. That may help keep it flush. If not, fabric is an easy fix.

Magnets. I always forget about magnets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about making a V2 with magnets as well, the open ends of the tubing make for a perfect concealment. Just a matter of finding magnets with a shape that will fit...

What about trimming magnets down to make them fit? Anyone experiment with this?

• 4 months later...

Hey guys! I want to try it too :) But I need to know if what I bough is the right size. I think it need to have 8 tubes, right? Mine has only six. Please give me your advice, thanks!

fe7f34f2807727bfbc952673e9111796.jpg

efc24ddf428d348df7e001cdccc37cad.jpg

Elisa Arguello

The number doesn't matter. Just that it is black, ribbed and covers the neck. That was from my GML and the DL.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The number doesn't matter. Just that it is black, ribbed and covers the neck. That was from my GML and the DL.

Thanks! This is for my Jes Gistang and her neck looks very long in comics and statues. I thought maybe more tubes could make that effect.

I haven't found black yet on my area so I bought this to try some tests like dye it, sew it, add magnets, etc because I'm concern about the durability in the crazy Texas weather... trooping at least twice per month.

So if anyone else have done it and trooped with, please give me some words ;)

Thanks in advance!

Elisa Arguello

• Like 2

Yeah I've decide to go another route. With my neck seal. Headline fabric, but I'm looking for a good outer layer for the "rubber" look.

• Like 1

Try the material used around screens in screen doors...little black tubular stuff you press around with a wheel. Sewn in between material it may work. I like a neck seal that breathes a.lot tho, rubber might just be warm.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/25/2015 at 1:35 PM, BrinkHouse said:

Hey guys! So excited to join this group of passionate and imaginative people, the stuff some of you guys are doing is super inspiring. I decided after some searching around to give making my own neck seal a try, I think it came out okay, considering the whole thing costs about $10 to make. Please let me know what you think, I'd love any feedback. 

First I went to Home Depot and picked up a package of this stuff: 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-5-16-in-x-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Black-EPDM-Cellular-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Tape-V25BK/202844545

It's great because it's got two round 'tubes' per strip, with adhesive on the back. I then went on a half day long search for a black turtleneck, to no avail. Who knew finding turtlenecks was actually really difficult? Hmmh. So then I had the idea that maybe the arm of a T-shirt would fit over my head! Turns out a 2XL worked pretty damn well. So I cut the sleeve off from the shirt, leaving some material that I could tuck inside my compression shirt later. 

Once I had the weatherstrip and the shirt material, I simply removed the adhesive backing and started applying the strips in rows to the sleeve. Surprisingly the weatherstrip stuck really well to the shirt and I didn't have to use additional adhesive. I butted the rows up against each other and cut them with a razor blade. I decided to do four strips, giving me eight tubes. For me this fit nicely up against my chin, and gave me enough room around my neck that it didn't choke or rub against my adams apple. You could adjust this to your preference, obviously.

Once I had all the strips installed and trimmed, I cut a slit down the sleeve where the tubes met. This is necessary so you can actually get your head through. Go down only as far as you need to get your head through. Then I e6000'd velcro pieces over the ends of the tubes, which both cleaned up the edges and mated the strips to the fabric, keeping them from separating over time. I wasn't sure how this would look but if you look at some photos of Han in ANH, you can clearly see a velcro or similar closure on his seal. For now it's okay, I may revisit/clean this up eventually. 

23341827063_f7868dd005_z.jpg

My only little gripe is that maybe the tubes themselves are a little too thick, I'm currently looking for a thinner version of this weatherstrip. What do you guys think? All in all this seal took about an hour to make, and again cost about $10 so even despite some minor issues I think it's a worthwhile build.

23942530236_0e6175a597_z.jpg

23942528186_257a42edc6_z.jpg

23886093581_3e2cefd2ff_z.jpg

Nice. ! Now I'm going to make me one

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/27/2016 at 4:09 PM, BrinkHouse said:

I'm thinking about making a V2 with magnets as well, the open ends of the tubing make for a perfect concealment. Just a matter of finding magnets with a shape that will fit... 

I was thinking of trying these magnet's ProMAG® Neodymium Magnets. As far as the stripping you can get it on aliexpress I just looked up self adhesive weather strip.

Photos of the magnets, they are really small and strong as well as aliexpress what its called on there.

IMG_20220304_000230.jpg

IMG_20220304_000319.jpg