Fans in Helmet

I'd suggest wearing a balaclava if you have long hair. Other than keeping your hair out of the way of fan blades it can also protect you from an exploding battery. Our Darth Vader had a close call this past weekend at a Force Awakens appearance when his battery pack for his fans exploded. Luckily he wasn't burned but he was wearing a balaclava.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

IMO fans are a nice to have, but certainly not a requirement. They aren't OT accurate (since such things didn't exist in the mid-70s to early-80s) but they can certainly help keep your head cool and reduce lens fogging.

Ā 

I don't have fans in either of my Troopermaster OT lids and I do just fine even in hot weather. However, I most certainly have fans installed in my TFA lid, and I can't imagine trooping without them.

I'd suggest wearing a balaclava if you have long hair. Other than keeping your hair out of the way of fan blades it can also protect you from an exploding battery. Our Darth Vader had a close call this past weekend at a Force Awakens appearance when his battery pack for his fans exploded. Luckily he wasn't burned but he was wearing a balaclava.

Assuming it was, this is why I shudder to think of people using Lipo batteries under helmets and armour. Seriously it's worth the cost of just buying standard alkaline ones all the time rather than run such a risk.

Ā 

Lipos, convenient? Sure. Dangerous? Hell yes, especially without suitable protection circuits which many kit solutions don't have.

I had fans for a number of years before installing them into my bucket. I don't use screen in back of the teeth, and use Velcro for keep my lenses in place. Lots of air flow throw the bucket without the fans. Last summer got pretty hot, so I installed them with Velcro, this way I can remove them, or put them in as I see fit. <br><br>

I'm in Ontario Canada, so our summers aren't too bad... Last summer got up to the high 30s though...<br>

As to a balaclava, it'll keep your head warmer than usual, so if you wear one, you may wish to look into fans too.

Edited by TK 2759

Assuming it was, this is why I shudder to think of people using Lipo batteries under helmets and armour. Seriously it's worth the cost of just buying standard alkaline ones all the time rather than run such a risk.

Ā 

Lipos, convenient? Sure. Dangerous? Hell yes, especially without suitable protection circuits which many kit solutions don't have.

That's a good thing to remember.Ā 

I have the Evilboy's fan system, and am really happy with it. Ā Being in NY, you may get away without using them much, but here in FL., the heat can really get to you quick, (but at least we have high humidity,Ā  B) ). Ā Mine are installed near my jaw line on either side, so even for someone with long hair this shouldn't be a problem. Ā As for the lenses fogging up, a cool trick that really works is put a dab of shaving cream on the inside, smear it around a bit, let it dry, and then polish the inside of the lens just until it is clear.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Or find a solution where lenses aren't solid in place. Like I said, I use Velcro to hold lenses in place, allows air to flow between lense and bucket, which helps keep them from fogging up. Also reduces the needs for fans...

Edited by TK 2759

Or find a solution where lenses aren't solid in place. Like I said, I use Velcro to hold lenses in place, allows air to flow between lense and bucket, which helps keep them from fogging up. Also reduces the needs for fans...

I'm trying to picture the velcro holding in the lenses. Are they over-sized or are you using some seriously thin velcro strips? I like the idea of not putting the screen on the teeth, are there any negatives to that that you have noticed? I might be jumping the gun. I should probably have waited until I actually got the bucket in my hands. I can't help it though, I am far too excited.Ā  :P

• Like 1

I have the Echos fan system as well, and am really happy with it. Ā Being in NY, you may get away without using them much, but here in FL., the heat can really get to you quick, (but at least we have high humidity,Ā  B) ). Ā Mine are installed near my jaw line on either side, so even for someone with long hair this shouldn't be a problem. Ā As for the lenses fogging up, a cool trick that really works is put a dab of shaving cream on the inside, smear it around a bit, let it dry, and then polish the inside of the lens just until it is clear.

I'm going to keep this trick my mind. Does it polish off easily or does it leave a film or anything?

If you choose not to use a mesh screen behind the teeth, then you almost certainly will need a balaclava to prevent your face from showing through the open teeth.

Ā 

The positive is that by not having the mesh, the flow of fresh air into the helmet increases noticeably. :)

• Like 1

I'm trying to picture the velcro holding in the lenses. Are they over-sized or are you using some seriously thin velcro strips? I like the idea of not putting the screen on the teeth, are there any negatives to that that you have noticed? I might be jumping the gun. I should probably have waited until I actually got the bucket in my hands. I can't help it though, I am far too excited. :P

The lenses are a little oversized by about 1/4 of an inch all way around, being a Hero TK I also have the apropriate single strip bubble lense replacement. I had the bubble lenses installed first, and matched the Velcro to the flat lenses. I use 3 tack points for each lens, 2 at top left and right, and 1 at bottom...

Ā 

I haven't noticed any negatives without the screen behind the teeth. I don't usually wear a balaclava, and don't think not having the screen there takes away from the over all visage. I still get compliments and the occasional hug, along with tons of photo ops lol

• Like 1

A buddy here in the UK does a lens which utilises the ear screws to attach. Really good lenses and two different shade options. Look up Imperial Supply Depot on Facebook if you're interested, I hope admin doesn't blast me to space dust for referencing a supplier.

I really like having fans in my helmet. It makes the helmet way more comfortable to me.<br><br>

I just got Echo's set for my new helmet and absolutely love it. It is a great setup, looks good, and personalized option adds a really nice touch. <br><br>

Note that Echo said he's taking some time off over the holidays from building.

• Like 1

I'm going to keep this trick my mind. Does it polish off easily or does it leave a film or anything?

It polishes off easily, and leaves no film!

• Like 1

Excellent point Rich. I would like to know what the chemistry of the batteries in the Vader helmet was to start with and then where they were purchased from, how they were being charged and then how much of a load was on them when the failure occurred. Also with the influx of counterfeit and very cheaply manufactured LiPo and LiIon batteries on the market especially in the realm of hobbyists such as ourselves we need to be very careful where we buy and what we use for these small projects.Ā 

I'm on the other side of NY than you, I'm in Albany. You will have to see for yourself how comfortable you are all suited up and bucket on. I sweat pretty easily all suited up mostly because of the compression gear. I have two Evilboy fans in my helmet now and plan on adding Echo's here soon. The downsize to being cool in your bucket is it makes it near impossible to hear anything. Hearing already is rather limited. But luckily we have some smart people on this forum that offer environmental sound systems so you can actually hear people standing in front of you.Ā 

Hey Jamie,

Ā 

I've seen troopers with and without fan kits. I think it depends on a few things .. (1) Are you a "hot" person, that gets warm easy, and (2) how large is your head opening in the bottom of the helmet(how much fresh air/ventilation can you get)?

Ā 

I run the Evilboy fan set-up in my TK bucket. I found it very hot in there without it. The fans keep me cool and help prevent my lenses from fogging up. I wear glasses in my bucket too.

Ā 

My helmet retains a bit of heat because I kept my helmet opening (for slipping my head in and out) as small as possible, and I have the mesh behind the teeth.

Ā 

I don't wear a balaclava, but do wear a headband. There are a few other threads on this topic on FISD & I'd search them out. You'll find great pics of peoples set-ups if interested. Hope this helps. ;)