Captain Phasma CRL Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

We are just waiting for photos to complete the CRL (and a DL review.)

Ā 

Ingrid may not be available to take photos of her costume, which saddens me.

Ā 

Does someone out there have a really nice phasma build that is also pretty darn shiny? If so please PM me.Ā 

Ā 

-Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Well there's always mine...

Ā 

Ā 

Although I am now half done with a repaint. Our major 4 day con took it's toll on the costume. Yes, I have been working with Ingrid and some of the other makers and getting this right, to include having the most accurate cape material you'll find.

Edited by Sly11
Image links broken and unrecoverable

Hey all, I'm sure some of you have seen my pics now from my shoot this past weekend. <br>

We managed to capture pics of all parts and I'm just waiting for my photographs to be sent... Eric I will send them to you Asap.<br>

Thx<br>

Jessica Bowyer

• Like 3

Hey all, I'm sure some of you have seen my pics now from my shoot this past weekend. <br>

We managed to capture pics of all parts and I'm just waiting for my photographs to be sent... Eric I will send them to you Asap.<br>

Thx<br>

Jessica Bowyer

Ā 

Ā 

Me and Ingrid had just talked last night about you sending in pics of your parts!

Thx<br>

Jessica Bowyer

Ā 

57105723.jpg

Would a chrome vinyl wrap material work for this application .

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ā 

I would need to see it to say. My instinct is that many of the parts would be too complex and intricate to make it look right. The ab section and thermal detonator specifically.Ā 

Ā 

-Eric

• Like 1

So say again why this is not spec-ops?

Because phasma is a commander, and stormtrooper commander is fisd?

Ā 

Spec ops has coloured tks, yes, but no commanders other than general weir.

Edited by sylverbard

Because phasma is a commander, and stormtrooper commander is fisd.

Ā 

Spec ops has coloured tks, yes, but no commanders other than general weir.

Ā 

It's funny. People keep ascribing all sorts of logic as to why a costume goes to a particular det. Little of it makes much sense across all 15 detachments. A lot of it was dictated by an LMO and some of it happened organically without reason. But as the 501st grows, and detachment leadership changes, many of the dets begin to navel gaze about their own existence. One of many examples is that SLD and TFE rethinking what types of costumes they support.Ā 

Ā 

Members can read my rant about this here.

Ā 

I know that SpecOps wants Phasma for sure. I personally think the support for building the costume is best served from the FISD forums.Ā 

Ā 

While the LMO has the power to dictate where a costume goes, he shouldn't. This is between the two DLs with my support behind FISD.

Ā 

-Eric

• Like 1

I'm skeptical of the chrome wrap as well...Ā  As Eric said, definitely have to see it.Ā  It is both compelling, and scary.Ā  LoL

With regards to Phasma and where she belongs, nobody has said word one to me about her being anyplace else and here we are, so let's forge ahead and get her approvable!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

This is the photo I'm thinking of using for the cape entry in the CRL:

Ā 

Image nor recoverable Sly11 Feb 2021

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Questions:

• Is it accurate?
  • Does it provide enough detail?

Ā 

-Eric

Edited by Sly11

Personally, I think that's an acceptable example of what will eventually be level one.

Ā 

To me, it looks a bit too large overall, a bit too much like wool, and not quite enough bunching on the shoulder, to be "screen accurate" in appearance.

My hope is to get a separate reference page of photos of people's capes together to tell the full story. I'm putting Ingrid in charge of it but she doesn't know it yet.Ā 

Ā 

Also here is a close up of that photo:

Ā 

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.09.14 PM.png

• Like 1

My hope is to get a separate reference page of photos of people's capes together to tell the full story. I'm putting Ingrid in charge of it but she doesn't know it yet.

Brilliant!! She'll love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!Ā 

Ā 

There has been a fair bit of impatience about this CRL floating about. None if it directed at me sadly, but I do welcome direct feedback anytime. If you feel impatient or upset or want to know what is going on... I can be reached via email, PM and Facebook chat if you insist. Many folks have my phone number that I will happily give out to call or text anytime. I get a ton of messages from all sources every day and I try to respond to each and every one of them. My inbox door is always open. So is Tim's.Ā 

Ā 

I apologize for not posting an update on where we are with this CRL. Not only is my legion life full but my actual life is madness. It's all poor excuses but it is what it is.Ā 

Ā 

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf! Why isn't this CRL done?!?!?!?Ā 

Ā 

Thank you for asking! I cobbled together a CRL. It used photos from a few different sources. I then sent it out for review to all the LMOs, FISD's Detachment Leader, and a couple phasma experts.

Ā 

I received great feedback on the words from all parties. With one more major edit those will good to go.

Ā 

The majority of them rejected most of the photos outright. If both my LMO team say NFW as well as the Detachment Leader I don't have a choice but to go back to the drawing board for this very important and popular CRL.Ā 

Ā 

They are not wrong in their assessment, but I was wrong got try and rush a half assed CRL.Ā 

Ā 

The photos we've received for this CRL have either been low resolution and/or the parts aren't shiny at all, or they are poor quality photos of good parts.Ā 

Ā 

I requested a professional photographer redo one of our costumer's photos of parts. In the mean time if you have a shiny and accurate Phasma and access to a good camera under well lit conditions I invite you to take photos of all of your parts. Feel free to reach out to me directly and I will tell you which photos we need. Ā 

Ā 

Thank you for continued patience with this very very important CRL.Ā 

Ā 

-Eric

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Btw the CRL for TFA the upper sabatons(the armor pieces on the boot)Ā are pictured with incorrect placement. the top edge should go under the spats not on top of it. It always looking wrong to me but I just figured it out today. They were displayed wrong in the prop show.Ā  Scenes in the TFA shows with it under but also showed with it slightly over. I think they are meant to be placed under like every other set of sabaton I have seen on every other suit of amor. I think that during shooting they had a tendency to pop out of placement because of the method of attachment. Its shown here slightly above and then below the spats. Lastly if you look at the visual dictionary for the force awakens, it shows the sabatons under the spats.Ā 

Ā 

So that's my reasoning for why the spats have incorrect placement.

Ā 

christie810takodana_1_X-600x600.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. :) I'd actually managed to completely miss that, despite having pored over the V.D. pic, that publicity shot above, and all the screen grabs I have. Since I'm doing sabatons for my Cardinal build, this saved me the heartache of realizing I'd done them wrong (since I'm still waiting on KB for them). Plans revising accordingly...

I am glad I caught it now. I been pouring over the Armor of phasma. and I am becoming an phasmaĀ expert. I just started 3d printing my phasma build. I am starting with easier stuff like her pistol(from 5th horseman)Ā and quicksilver baton(that I modeled, woo, I modeled something!) in its compact form.

Ā 

FYI the two things that changed from TFA and TLJ are the gloves and the spats are now standard Stormtrooper spats. I think I will make both spats. and Gloves to switch between the two. Also I plan to do a death trooper phasma. I am vacuum forming my 3d prints.

Ā 

Can you message me about your build? I would like to hear about it.Ā 

1 hour ago, gammax said:

I am glad I caught it now. I been pouring over the Armor of phasma. and I am becoming an phasmaĀ expert.

Have you already joined the Phasma group on FB? A lot of folks on here are on there, but it's not a 100% overlap. Might also poke your head in on the Replica Props Forum. I haven't delved as much as some, so I don't know who might know what -- but sharing insights, discoveries, and revelations as widely as possible so others may benefit is probably one of my favorite aspects of this hobby.

Ā 

FYI the two things that changed from TFA and TLJ are the gloves and the spats are now standard Stormtrooper spats. [...]Ā Can you message me about your build? I would like to hear about it.Ā 

First part is definitely relevant to this thread, but not to me. :) Cardinal was beaten by Phasma and left sometime prior to TFA, so as much as some of the changes for TLJ might help me, I can't use them.Ā :mellow:Ā I can message you about my build, but there's not much to say yet. I've accumulated a lot of the supplies, and peripheral pieces such as gloves and boots and neck seal and R2Dan's magnificent holster upgrade (and undersuit and cape are staged for purchase)... But I'm still waiting on the actual armor and it's driving me nuts. I'll be starting my actual build thread as soon as I have even one more component to work with. But I'm happy to babble about theory.Ā :P Let me know.