New Approach to FO Stormtrooper CRL

camprandall

I'd like to throw something out there that I've been thinking about regarding the Stormtrooper CRL for Force Awakens. We've already seen quite a few variations of the costume, but I'm actually wondering if this is an argument for not spinning off new CRLs but instead expanding the concept a bit to have grouped optional accessories. Here's why:

The variations in the new movie are essentially the same costume. I know because I've been working on several of them. We have a whole FB group of troopers working on different versions. It's the same base costume. Here is a partial list so far.

1. Standard Stormtrooper with F-11D blaster
  2. Stormtrooper with Vest, FWMB-10 Megablaster and pistol (aka: Heavy Gunner)
  3. Stormtrooper with Vest, F-11D blaster with full stock and pistol
  4. Stormtrooper with Vest, Backpack, F-11D blaster with full stock and pistol
  5. Stormtrooper with red pauldron and F-11D blaster with full stock
  6. Stormtrooper with black pauldron and F-11D blaster with full stock
  7. Stormtrooper with white pauldron and F-11D blaster with full stock
  8. Riot Control trooper with shield and baton, sometimes with pistol

There are more, but you can see there are a lot of variations and the costume is exactly the same except for some additional accessories. There are also accessories that make it unclear who exactly can have them at any given time. There are binoculars and also some kind of holster mounted flashlight thing too, but doesn't really seem like a distinct character separation. We will likely find more of these. There is also the issue that when you exclude optional weapons, there is ambiguity. If I just wear my vest, as I have been doing at non-blaster events, am I the Heavy Gunnery type of guy in number 2 above or the rifle guy from 3 above? There's no distinction. Since it would seem like overkill to make all these different CRLs when 99% of it is exactly the same and there are a lot of crossover accessories, I'm wondering about a section of "allowed accessory combinations" at the bottom of the base CRL. For example, you can have the Vest and the F-11D and pistol, but not the vest and riot baton. This would be much easier to maintain and also keep the understanding that these are all Stormtroopers, with some variation to the same base costume. It also keeps things simple because in reality, if they are separate then pretty soon I'm going to have 5-8 different approved costumes simply by adding accessories to my current one. Buy a red pauldron and a vest and you've already got numbers 1, 3 and 4.

What do you guys think of this? It's a little different, but I think this costume is different.

Here are some pics of variations. I don't have screen caps of all of them so most are toy references, but these all exist in the movie.

--------------

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-Wars-the-Force-Awakens-Stormtroopers.jpg

star-wars-first-order-squad-leader-storm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dYyAZ5hMxuU/VmIhDFEQ_eI/AAAAAAACOZI/T3hoKZQrFDU/s1600/star-wars-stormtrooper-jakku-exclusive-sixth-scale-hot-toys-902579-13.jpg

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 6

looks exciting! dont have FB myself but please do post pics when you can, sounds like great progress and something exciting to look at for variation!!!!

Hello Kris! Yeah, it might be a good idea to stick some pics in the original post to show the variations. I'll do that shortly.

• Like 1

There should be room in the CRL "template" to allow for this, without much trouble. Something like:

If you have this accessory, these ones are also required to be worn with it. IE "pushing" you into one of the groups.

I think Sandtroopers already do something similar with backpack+pocket configurations.

• Like 1

There should be room in the CRL "template" to allow for this, without much trouble. Something like:

If you have this accessory, these ones are also required to be worn with it. IE "pushing" you into one of the groups.

I think Sandtroopers already do something similar with backpack+pocket configurations.

Yeah, that's a good example. Similar situation.

Btw, last night when I watched the movie again I kept my eye out specifically for the pistol, and I didn't see it once on anyone. The only holstered weapons I saw were the F-11D and the baton.

Hi Clint, Thanks for opening this topic. I am fully with you on this one. So many variations; before you know it we have 8 additional CRL's.<br>

So yes, good idea. Thumbs up!

• Like 1

Btw, last night when I watched the movie again I kept my eye out specifically for the pistol, and I didn't see it once on anyone. The only holstered weapons I saw were the F-11D and the baton.

It was holstered on the jakku trooper with the vest.

Stormtrooper with Vest, F-11D blaster with full stock and pistol

This trooper was also wearing a FO survival (snowtrooper) backpack.

Edited by Robert P

I think the Imperial Gunnery Corps does a very similar thing. I like the idea. As a new guy, if I had to dig through 7 different CRLs to figure out which I wanted to build, only to learn the accessories are different, i think I might be deterred from pursuing it.

Great topic, and fully agree. Had the EXACT conversation with another member of my Garrison yesterday. The one thing we discussed in addition is how would the accessories/weapons be approved? Once the base costume is approved, would you then need to submit each additional piece as you get them to ensure accuracy?

Edited by Pencap510

I agree that making a single CRL with a list of optionnal possibilities is the best way of handling all those costume variations.

I also noticed a lot of variations with the belt pouches. Might need to have a look upon that too, when we'll be able to screenshot the film.

• Like 1

Agree that having a single CRL is probably the best way to go.

BTW, saw no mention of the MP40 pouches. I admit I don't recall seeing them in the movie but I have seen this pic of a vested trooper with the pouches.

F58aPZQ.jpg

I've also seen the figure with pauldron and pouches no vest. Not sure if this would be acceptable version.

XXYuBV6.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I think this is the best way to handle it.  No reason to have multiple CRLs when they are all just different loadouts of the same base armor.  I know there are some people that want to collect approved costumes and would like to see as many different CRLs as possible, but I there were just too many on screen variations to do this.

Of course there are some of us that will just grab whatever accessories we want to carry on a particular day and not care at all about if it's in a CRL.

One CRL for the FO Stormtrooper sounds reasonable. Leave the weapons, vest, backpack etc. as optional accessories.

Having a configuration that precisely matches a trooper from the movie could still be added as a L2 or L3 requirement later, as we have it for the sandtroopers.

In the scene on Jakku, several stormtroopers as they were exiting the drop ship had the pistols on their legs and were carrying F-11Ds.  I noticed both times I have seen the movie.

• Like 2

In the scene on Jakku, several stormtroopers as they were exiting the drop ship had the pistols on their legs and were carrying F-11Ds.  I noticed both times I have seen the movie.

+1.

Noticed as well. Coming off the drop ship.

I was think about the poor guy that already dead before the camera even has a chance to pan over to follow the action. Buckets off for our fallen comrade. :(