Should I get the full kit from RS?

Hi all,

I've lurked around on this forum long enough. I've decided to get kit from RS, but I’m unsure whether to get the complete kit or the helmet and armour – the prices are GBP1,450 and GBP750, respectively.

Complete: http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-stormtrooper-commission/

Helmet and armour: http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/armor-helmet-kit/

My questions are:

1. How much extra would I need to spend to bring the helmet and armour suit from the basic stage right up to the complete stage if I was to do myself (also, I’m based in Australia so many of the additional items I would incur international shipping)?
  2. How much time would it take given I’m starting from little knowledge and no gear (this includes constructing, painting, sourcing, etc)?
  3. How would you rate your satisfaction for completing the set off yourself? For example, I’m not a handy man, but I get great enjoyment in building Lego – is this the same or will it be an annoying process?

I would prefer to get Centurion level too if I plant to spend this kind of cash (or if too hard I would just go to Expert Infantryman.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Hi all,

I've lurked around on this forum long enough. I've decided to get kit from RS, but I’m unsure whether to get the complete kit or the helmet and armour – the prices are GBP1,450 and GBP750, respectively.

Complete: http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-stormtrooper-commission/

Helmet and armour: http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/armor-helmet-kit/

My questions are:

• How much extra would I need to spend to bring the helmet and armour suit from the basic stage right up to the complete stage if I was to do myself (also, I’m based in Australia so many of the additional items I would incur international shipping)?
  • How much time would it take given I’m starting from little knowledge and no gear (this includes constructing, painting, sourcing, etc)?
  • How would you rate your satisfaction for completing the set off yourself? For example, I’m not a handy man, but I get great enjoyment in building Lego – is this the same or will it be an annoying process?
I would prefer to get Centurion level too if I plant to spend this kind of cash (or if too hard I would just go to Expert Infantryman.

I appreciate your help in advance.

1. RS armor itself does not lack features needed for centurion, (for example the the notch area on the kidney plate- it is already there, no customizing required). To get it up to centurion, there are the smaller details like the split rivets for the AB plate, cap rivets for the knee ammo pack and brass split rivet for the cod, etc. that need to be installed but not easily accessible. Also how you assemble it, making sure the sniper plate is glued on not riveted or the knee ammo belt needs certain cap rivets and installed in the right place . I followed the centurion check list when building my armor so I got it to centurion standard right off the bat. I decided at the time to have RS assemble the helmet and ordered and an extra kit to try myself someday. I am in Japan so shipping is killer but some things you may be able to source locally such the rivets, paints, etc.

2. Time- I second guessed myself the whole process so it took me several months to get done but that is due to my own silly self . You can complete the kit as a beginner in a few months or few weeks time no sweat if you feel confident. I allowed myself a long build time because I knew my skills going into this was minimum to none and didnt want to destroy my very expensive new armor kit. But I did get it done and did it to my preferences so proof you can too. I was going to have RS complete it for me but had heard there are still adjustments sometimes needed when you get it, never a perfect fit. So rather than ripping apart nicely glued armor to make adjustments, I chose to do it my self. No regrets. Lots of help along the way from other members here to get advice and opinions.

3. Happy I completed the kit myself, wish I had done the helmet too myself. It feels great to this day to say I did it myself. I made plenty of mistakes along the way but learned it can be fixed and if not, replaced at an extra cost. Of you have the time, confidence comes with time spent on the build and satisfaction is certain to follow. Just keep on referencing the screenshots, archived lucasfilm armor and ask around. It seems daunting at first but if you aim straight for centurion, you will have no trouble getting it. Just approved centurion this month!

Good luck with whatever you choose. Just think about your time frame and willingness to do the research to build your armor centurion accurate. I had zero experience and skills for putting together armor and glad I decided to do it myself. Hope I helped give you some perspective of someone who asked the exact same questions a while back. Good luck in your decision!

• Like 1

The good:

Extremely screen accurate in every aspect. Amazing how every detail is exactly the same.

501st approvable out of the box.

Includes every item you need. Comes with gloves and hand guards , neck seal, E-11 blaster, and shoes.

Custom fitted to your needs.

Craftsmanship quality over all is very good minus one aspect (I will cover later)

Communication with RS was always good. Prompt responses to emails and Facebook. When called they were very helpful.

The bad:

Price, after shipping expect to spend close to $2,500.

Lead time was slow. I waited closed to 70 days for mine to be shipped. I have heard lead times of up to 100+ days with Ep 7 and Holidays.

You will need to make some adjustments to make the armor more comfortable and wearable. Not sure if this is a necessarily a “bad” thing. I had a lot of fun upgrading and customizing.

The ugly:

Stitching and thread is of very low quality and poorly done. I have had to re-sew 4 of the snaps. The stitching on the calves, both shoulders, stomach, and chin strap have all failed and had to be re-sewed.

I would recommend this suit and company to anyone who has a budget and can afford it. I went with them because I had no experience whatsoever making armor so this was a good fit for me. The minor upgrades and fixes I have had to make have been fun to do. (Minus the sewing).

I came dangerously close to buying a Jedi-Robe suit and “Thank the Maker” I found this forum. Spent more money but feel like I got that I paid for and am very happy.

I hope this helps.

^ I was actually considering getting a finished helmet from RS and doing the rest of the kit myself, but after reading this, I think I'm going to do the helmet myself too. Thanks. :)

The helmet seems daunting but I think if you are able to build it slowly and get the results you want, it will be a wearable trophy. I bought an extra helmet kit afterwards to try it. Going to get my helmet kit started soon. Good luck when you get all your stuff and don't forget to start a build thread. Love to see it all come together!

Hey Stratton,  

I too want to get a kit from RS and cant make up my mind if I will get just the kit or the full commission. Have you reached out to your local garrison? I found my local garrison as well as this forum have been extremely helpful.

RS build suits every day of the week , they know what they are doing . But if you feel adventurous , and are willing to do research here on this very forum , it's not so hard to build your own . <br>

And , as I said in another thread, RS have a free shipping offer on for orders placed over the holiday period ( Christmas 2015 ) <br>

I built my arm or in five evenings , flushing to get it finished for an event , however I had a built helmet with my kit .

• Like 1