TFA viewings. Opinions on the movie? (Spoiler zone)

PGHtrooper21

I saw it for a second time today (in 3D for the first time) and still thoroughly enjoyed it.  Visually, this IS Star Wars.  Real sets, with real props (although some of the props seem like cast offs from Star Trek), and practical effects.  If this didn't look "Star Wars" enough for some people, then there simply was no pleasing them.

As for the story, yes it felt a whole lot like ANH.  They're both the first movie of their respective trilogy, and as such have to establish the who what and why of things. (when and where are taken care of in the scroll)

Is it a perfect movie?  No, of course not - no movie is.  Except ESB.  That's a perfect movie. But is it good?  Yes.  It's darn good.

Here are the two major quibbles I have with TFA.  Okay three, but the first one is that saying the acronym TFA out loud sounds like you're talking about airport security with a lisp.

So Finn's dialog; A few times it took me out of the movie.  Boyega is good.  I felt what his character was going through.  I was rooting for him the whole time.  However when he was interacting with Phasma,  and letting her know that he was in fact in charge, I felt (1) that he sounded more like a linebacker after a good play.  And (2) that Han's line about "taking it down a little" was Harrison Ford giving him acting advice, not actual scripted dialog.  And let's not forget "Droid Please".

The other big point of contention that I have is with how the big "reveal" was handled.  With Snoak casually spoiling Kylo Ren's paternal lineage, so much emotion was drained from the bridge confrontation.

Imagine that Snoak hadn't told us that.  And that Kylo kept his helmet on and told Rey that yes he IS just a monster in a mask.  Now when his father demands the mask be removed, the line "So I can see my son's face" would have hit us like a ton of carbonite.  And we'd still be reeling from that bombshell when Kylo cements his path to the dark side.

Some could be said about the speed with which Rey learns to use her budding powers, or how Finn could go toe to toe with Kylo Ren, but I feel like answers to those issues may be delivered in the next installment.

As a side note, I view TFA as a bridge and or setup movie.  It had to set the stage for the future films, whilst explaining the 30 year gap.  It could have done more in the exposition department, but it sets up what comes next very well.  And as a transition, I don't view it as the first of it's trilogy.  Not in the strictest sense of the word at least.

And that's all I gots to say about that.  For now.

• Like 1

Just a thought, and knowing Abrams from every Bad a Robot film, here's a thought:<br><br>

The storyline is very similar to ANH, yes, but I feel this was done on purpose.<br><br>

It's done to show the futility and arrogance of the empire. The fact that history repeats itself if we do not learn from the mistakes of the past. <br><br><br>

Also, another thought. I think we can all say who Rey is going to turn out to be, but are all Jedi's are going to be direct blood lines, right? Because the only Jedi's that survived order 66 were Obi Wan, Yoda and The twins when they were born?

Not a remake, tho. It's textbook homage. The only continuity issue was the skywalker saber: why does it have ESB grips with ROTS brass eye instead of another graflex button? And since when does the "activation box" (graflex clamp) not turn it on? She hits the "blade length adjustment" knob to turn it on, according to the TFA visual dictionary lol. I think JJ had a MR ESB and then... a time warp opened and the emitter reverted to its 40-years-ago form :)

• Like 1

More importantly, where how the hell did they get it back after it fell from Cloud City?? Haha<br><br>

Also, for those of you saying about Rey's power, I have another theory.<br><br>

Ok, so Rey is Luke's daughter. She was one of the new generation of Jedi that he was training when Kylo killed them all. Luke sent her away to somewhere he didn't even know so Kylo couldn't find her or even know of her existence. That's why he looks at her the way he does.<br><br>

The ship she remembers leaving is her mum leaving but she was too young to know exactly what was going on. But that explains why she was able to use the force to easily and quickly, she had been trained from a young age but was so young when she was abandoned that she never honed it. <br><br>

Just a thought, more really my point is this is the setup for the rest of the trilogy, I feel confident all will become clear.

• Like 1

I've seen it 3 times now (twice for free for trooping beforehand).

What I loved:

-So awesome to see an example of who the stormtroopers really are behind the mask. What a fun thing to explore!

-Finally the Stormtroopers kick butt (hopefully no more jokes about not being able to hit anything)

-The Stormtroopers using riot shields and batons that can repel a lightsaber... genius!!!

-The moment Rey activates the lightsaber to prepare to fight Ren... gives me goose bumps every time!

-Kylo Ren's voice is so awesome, I love how menacing it sounds.

-Really enjoyed seeing how immature he was by throwing tantrums... it showed how weak he still is even though he wants to be like Vader who was more seasoned and mature.

-Having Fin in the same gunner cockpit in the Falcon as Luke used with the same graphics was so great!

What I liked:

-The humor really worked and was helpful at breaking tension.

- It was impressive that the Tie Fighters didn't just crash every time Rey made a quick getaway turn, but were able to stay on top of her in the Falcon, unlike in ESB where they weren't able to dodge asteroids. Seems like they are better pilots now or better trained.

-BB-8 was great and most times I'd just stare at him in awe knowing that he wasn't CGI, but an actual robot. So impressive.

-It was great how the lightsabers blue and/or red glow was on the characters unlike in the previous movies where the lightsaber effects were added afterwords.

-The design of the First Order ships and bases looked like they evolved from the design of the OT.

What I disliked:

-Too many similar plot points as ANH: droid has the plans, death star being blown up, loner from a desert planet becomes the hero, cantina with weird aliens. Hux is Tarkin and Kylo is Vader, Snoke is the Emperor.

-The 3 CGI characters just stood out too much and took me out of the film whenever I was looking at them. Maz, Snoke and the guy on Jakku who handed out the rations... all disappointing and not needed to be computer generated at all.

-Fin should not have been able to last as long as he did in a saber fight against Kylo Ren let alone get a hit on his shoulder.

-Rey using the jedi mind trick doesn't make sense because she has no prior knowledge of it or has seen it in use. Seems like this was only in the movie because we as an audience knew about it therefore it was plausible.

-If Kylo Ren can stop a laser blast in mid air, can hold Rey's arm behind her so that she can't fire her blaster and later throw her into a tree all by using the force, then why doesn't he do it when he is saberfighting? It makes no sense that someone who is evil enough to kill his own father doesn't play dirty when saberfighting and freeze his opponent in one place in order to strike them down. Huge plot hole for me.

More importantly, where how the hell did they get it back after it fell from Cloud City?? Haha<br><br>

Ok, so Rey is Luke's daughter. She was one of the new generation of Jedi that he was training when Kylo killed them all. Luke sent her away to somewhere he didn't even know so Kylo couldn't find her or even know of her existence. That's why he looks at her the way he does.<br><br>

The ship she remembers leaving is her mum leaving but she was too young to know exactly what was going on. But that explains why she was able to use the force to easily and quickly, she had been trained from a young age but was so young when she was abandoned that she never honed it. <br><br>

Just a thought, more really my point is this is the setup for the rest of the trilogy, I feel confident all will become clear.

No doubt Luke will be uttering that same familiar line, "I am your father".

I also think that it will be made clear that the force is recreating past events over and over until the "balance is restored".

-If Kylo Ren can stop a laser blast in mid air, can hold Rey's arm behind her so that she can't fire her blaster and later throw her into a tree all by using the force, then why doesn't he do it when he is saberfighting? It makes no sense that someone who is evil enough to kill his own father doesn't play dirty when saberfighting and freeze his opponent in one place in order to strike them down. Huge plot hole for me.

This has always bothered me in any sith/jedi saber fight. How easy would it be for a sith (or jedi if they don't mind fighting "dirty") to make their attack and at the last second, force push their opponent's arm away as the opponent is trying to block. Fight would be over quick.

I think you've completely nailed it. This is exactly what I was thinking. It also shows how tragic the massacre is and why it would be enough to shatter Han & Leia's relationship.

Kylo was injured, under-trained, and undisciplined. He had no control of his fury at all. He can stop a blaster bolt if he's under control, that's how I see it. Even Snoke said he needed more training. We don't know for sure if Kylo had any lightsaber training at all. It's not like there are any saber warriors left in the galaxy, and he was swinging that thing around like a broadsword. No finesse, no precision. Finn, being trained in melee combat as a stormtrooper, had a chance.

"This will begin to make things right." was the first spoken line in TFA.<br><br>

And yeah I do think that was a double entendre referring to how the Star Wars franchise had veered off course into the Jutland Wastes with the prequels. But I don't think it was an insult directed at George Lucas.<br><br>

I think it was declaration directed at Star Wars fans that they are committed to putting the franchise back on course. And perhaps even an apology to Star Wars fans for some vewwery bombad "artistic risk taking" resulting in content that did not meet the expectations of many Star Wars fans. If that's the case, then personally I say apology accepted (pending release of the original trilogy despecialized version in 3d bluray format).

Of course! Disney is under a lot of pressure to turn their $4 billion investment into a profit. A favorable reception of TFA by a broad demographic being critical. Disney understands that keeping the core fan base happy is good for business.<br><br>

And don't forget the shopping season isn't over. If you haven't picked up a Star Wars The Force Awakens dartboard or an inflatable floating R2D2 they are in stock.

anyone else think kylo sounds like bane from batman? I've seen it twice and tomorrow will be #3 and that's the main thing that bothers me...he doesn't sound scary

He managed to scare the 2 troopers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Cinematography doesnt feel like the othwr 6 at all, story wasnt great, music wasnt John Williams' best, and characterization of Rey was weird, yet most of the acting was solid and costume design was top notch<br><br>

Id have to say it has some interesting moments but definetley my least favorite star wars film