TFA viewings. Opinions on the movie? (Spoiler zone)

PGHtrooper21

You liked the prequels and hated TFA? :huh::blink:

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

To me, TFA felt more close to the original trilogy than the prequels did. The scope in TFA seemed smaller, much like the originals, where the audience is following this little band of characters around who are just kind of playing it by ear.

For me, there were definitely some plot holes already mentioned, and as an electrical engineer, it irritates the crap out of me that they called the exhaust port a flippin oscillator  :angry: An oscillator is something that moves back and forth, like a wave, usually used to refer to electrical wave making devices. NOT a heat sink or exhaust vent  :angry:  Aside from that, it felt like they copied a lot from ANH to try to get back into the spirit of the original trillogy, and I expect that the later movies will be much more original.

I was also disappointed with Phasma, but I think I might have an explanation for what she was so... Lackluster, one might say.

Here's my full theory: https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/3xmfbd/captain_phasma_theory_slightly_different_than/

I won't post it all here because it's long and very spoilery.

Han also was a huge character in EP7. He did a fabulous job and any EP8 story with him would drown out other characters, where the focus should be on them. Carie wasn't great, I could easily bear not seeing her on film again. This will really be Rey's story arc I think - in fact looking back despite the trailers leading up to it - I don't think Finn is Force conscious.

Honestly, what stokes me are the stormtroopers - they are fantastic and we haven't seen them this aggressive and soldierly since ANH (well, there is ROTS if you include the NT).

I can agree with you on that Paul, I did find them to be more Military like and it was pretty awesome to see them act more "soldierly" like they did in A new Hope. I just like the older storm trooper armor that is all. 

My take, having seen it twice - once in 2D, once in 3D.

For starters, see it in 3D if at all possible. Man, it is stunning. If you can get to a laser projected 3D showing then lucky you. I haven't done that one yet.

Characters:

First Order is ruthless. Savage. Makes the Empire look like the Senate. No playing around. TKs were brutal and efficient (unless trying to shoot at all of the major characters - which is just par for the Star Wars course).

Captain Phasma. I'm sure that a lot of her scenes ended up on the cutting room floor, and that she'll be a much bigger, badder part of things in Ep VIII. If not, then she's instantly right there with Boba Fett and Darth Maul - cool looking characters that got underplayed relative to how much we've loved them.

Kylo Ren. OMG... EVERYTHING that I'd hoped he'd be. THIS, this is exactly what a descent to the dark side should be like. Granted, Adam Driver had it easier than Hayden Christensen in one way - he was established as a villain from the get-go - but he absolutely comes off as a guy who is troubled by his situation, and struggling with it. He brought some serious gravitas to the role, and some incredible human depth to the situation. Anakin took a pledge and became a Sith Lord. Kylo Ren is everything that Anakin should have been mid-way through Ep II.

Rey. Great job by Daisy Ridley. Loved the character, and can't wait to learn more about her background (although I have my theories) and see what it was that led to the switch seemingly getting flipped for her in regard to the force.

Finn. Truly fun. He played up a lot of the comedy bits very seamlessly and it didn't feel forced like so many that we've seen in previous SW movies (prequels). He is the anti-hero. He's the guy that's simply running for his life, and gets caught up in the life of some girl he happens to meet on his way out. It may seem a bit campy to some folks, but I think he's just a regular guy who gets wrapped up in a situation because he likes a girl and wants to see what happens next. It felt natural to me. Natural, refreshing, and real.

BB-8. Awesome. I couldn't have believed that there was room for another droid with that much personality, but he's awesome.

Poe. Are you kidding me? Man, did they ever take advantage of every bit of tech at their disposal to truly show us what a badass he is in that X-wing. Phenomenal. As for the guy as opposed to the pilot... Very strong character. Very committed to the resistance, and truly a heroic type.

Leia. Sadly, for me, one of the flattest performances in the movie - but I'm not taking anything from her. She's still "Princess Leia" and that's still awesome. She's still the enigmatic leader she's always been, and that's critical to the plot.

Han Solo. I expected what we got, as Harrison Ford thought he should have died at the end of Star Wars, and had been lobbying to kill him off since then. To me, the moment he signed on for TFA, I knew that it would only be if he finally got to kill the character. As for Han Solo himself, what is there to say? He's Han Solo. Will he be missed, of course but he had to go - the others have to go as well - for the new cast to be able to shine.

Maz Kanata. Character that I expected to basically be some side-story to be forgotten about in the long run, quietly turned into one of the most interesting new characters in the series to me. I cannot wait to see what else she knows.

Lor San Tekka. Very brief appearance on screen. Huge number of questions surrounding him, and I hope we get those answers as well.

Luke Skywalker. Mark Hamill definitely summed up the movie quite well when he said that we know the story, but things have changed. Like many others, I can't wait to see what he does in the subsequent episodes.

Snoke. Very intriguing. Another that even though we saw plenty of him, we don't know much about him at all.

As for the plot, yes... It borrowed heavily from ANH, but it needed to have a way to blend the old with the new, to feel familiar and become something else along the way. I feel like they did a great job with it. I love that there are so many questions left to answer - because there are a lot of them. A few people I know have said that there was no backstory to the film. While I understand that, how much needs to be spoon-fed? Nobody was worried about how the Empire came to power after watching Star Wars. Nobody cared that Luke Skywalker just randomly happened to have a reason to meet Obi-Wan Kenobi. It was just part of the story. All of a sudden, everything needs to be explained completely - DAMN YOU, MIDICHLORIANS!!! - in order for people to feel that the movie was worthwhile. This is a part of a new, bigger story. If they tied everything up, what purpose would Episodes VIII and IX have?

I love it, and the direction that everything is heading. Just wanted to chime in as well. I've got no beef with the few people that don't like it. I just can't understand why - but then... I saw the original in the theater, and this gave me so many of the same feelings all over again. :D

• Like 8

I live in China and made the effort to travel across the planet back to my home land of Ireland to watch this movie with my ageing father, whi i will always cheerish the memories of watching all the star wars movies in the cinema with. For me, it was a momentious occasion in the history of cinema, both personally and for the genre alike. Working as a professional indutrial animator, and having a few friends actually work on TFA i really cant praise my apprechiation for it enough. Admittitly yes im abit biased being in the industry, but looking at it the way it is, in black and white, i loved it and passed the 10 veiws mark then stopped.
These new memories with my father will live on forever and i intend to travel back home again for every star wars movie onward.  Star Wars inspired me as a child to become an artist and has forever been my favourite series of sci fi, if not, all movies...so i honestly cant crap on TFA that much because it brings me and my dad closer as father and son, which for me was the biggest point.
Only thing i laughed at was the name Snoke...a bit ridiculous but again i got over it in 10 minutes, future is change and we must embrace it. Fear not, that we do not predict lol

• Like 1

I thought it was excellent. Harrison ford played a great part, and the two newcomers were great aswell. My only slate would be the bad guy. Thought he was a little weak. Kinda ruined it when he took off the helmet. 

lol with those big b.j lips...reminded me of Ted from bill n ted

• Like 1

I love it, and the direction that everything is heading. Just wanted to chime in as well. I've got no beef with the few people that don't like it. I just can't understand why - but then... I saw the original in the theater, and this gave me so many of the same feelings all over again. :D

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. I was going to write about as much as you did, but it would basically be the same commentary. Well stated and thanks for saving me some typing

Open the Blast Door!

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised so many of you guys like it. I disliked it so much I thought for sure other Star Wars fans would be upset. Of course I'm happy you do. Glad someones happy haha :P But to me it just seemed like a not as good remake of ANH. Doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie, and as bad as the prequels were, at least they felt like Star Wars. Personally, it feels like they announced they where making a new Beatles record, then didn't use any of Paul's ideas and just hired Miley Cyrus, or some other modern pop star to cover the old songs. 

Those who like it, you didn't mind the visuals and the corny parts? Cause I think I'm going again, and hopefully this time I'll like it a bit more. 

Edited by psychotropic
  • Like 2

Well i still not know what to think about the movie.Sure it was not that worse as Episode I , but to me there was the Star Wars feeling gone after the mid part of the movie.

I liked how the movie worked till the mid part as sad, Kylo Ren had could become a bad villian ...till..yeah till he drop his mask of and begun to get  a whiny childish teen guy.

After that sence the whole movie get more and more boring.

Ren did not know if he now should wear his helmet or not, i no longer have seen any sence it that thing also. So did he just wear it to look as his grandfather did ..or just cause it's nice, or cause he had halitosis?

At the biginning of the movie this guy acts like a main person of the new order, command troops , execute enemys without any question.

And after they changed him to that whiny boy ,it seems he has no clue what he's doing, is not more as trainee from this CGI remake of Grendel out of Beowulf which got called Snoke and get shoved arround from new order officers.

At the end of the movie he got beaten by a girl which has more force power as luke and Vader together ever had as it seems and learned to used the force in a speed, like Neo in the matrix did learn KungFu..

That all ruined the whole charakter to me. From bad guy to worse guy in 60 min.

Than at next this "Death Planet" which had looked like a big terminator eye or a bad brother of HAL 9000 had the same faults as all the Death Stars before him.

Sure...guys... a litle bit new thoughts on the movie could had been there.

And it got destroyed from a singel man fighter and some tiny detonators which Han and Chewie placed...lol...same procedure as last year miss sophie?

To much stolen from AnH this movie was,....for me more a reboot as a sequel.

That Han died was ok for me,Ford wanted that since ESB, but how he died was a joke.

I mean Han see his Son and tell him that he loves him so much and he should come back to who?? To him and Lea which he has not spoken for how long...we don't know ...Han Solo you got really old man.

I had could understand, if Han had gave " Ben" a slap in his stupid face and after that "Ben" get one of his ADHS attacks and cut him in half with his lightsaber.

That would had been a worthy end of Solo.

Than what should this Captain Phasma thing be? Screen time less then Boba Fett, looked cool but thats all imho.

Big anounced as a stromtrooper commader and squibbed like hot air in the wind.

Btw. stormtrooper, they all looked like they are 300 lbs heavy and as it seems they lost there neck.

Still not like the disgn, but that's a matter of taste for sure.

As one other here also said, there had could been a bit more different vehicles in it as, one stardestroyer 30 X Wings and 30 Tie Fighters.

The sets looked realy real which i liked at most on the movie  , but they also looked very empty and loveless at some points.

The Thing with Lukes lightsaber...is that now metamorphosed into Saurons ring that it called for his master? Sorry ..wrong universe.

So there is a lot of disappointment to me in that movie.It just feels like rewarmed coffe for the 10th time and got to much hyped before release for what it really is.

The best part for me had Luke, without to say something he had a presence which i not have felt since ..... ;)

Edited by Turrican
  • Like 1

Has no one mentioned the big yank alien x-wing pilot shouting "BUT NOOOOOOO DAMAGE!" Fairly enjoyed that scene enough to laugh aloud lol similar to ackbars "it's a trap!"

Ello Asty...  I truly hoped that he'd become a staple character, in the mold of Wedge, but alas...  He shall not.

• Like 1

Just seen it today star wars but not Star Wars very mixed feelings about it. I Definitely agree that Ren seems to pick up the force to fast great comedic moments between Han and Chewie like an old married couple. The thing I spotted that tickled me was Finn crashes in a TIE dressed as a trooper takes his armour off removes his neck seal that seems to be nothing more than just the ribbed part and finally seems to no longer be wearing his white boots but black/brown shoes. Where did he get them from?

• Like 3

I watched TFA and I have to say it is indeed a good SW movie, and remember I'm a big OT fan. The acting was really fine, Han was great (including solo ;) , with Rey and Finn, and with Leia), you can feel Harrison did his best for this role, Rey and Finn totally have the chemistry going, hope we'll see more of Poe Dameron. I also liked Kylo's quite complex character torn between the two worlds, not a powerful Sith, but an unbalanced wannabe baddie who finally chooses his path.

The overall plot was a bit too safe, by following OT (ANH and ESB) steps, but was kind of understandable considering this was the first movie from a new trilogy (or even 2 trilogies, who knows). Special effects were great, but that was to be expected.

Waiting to see the next "Death Star" in episode 8. :P

Phasma and Luke were a bit of a disappointment. Phasma really should have had more going to her, hope she will come back, and Luke in the final scenes was too odd. It would have been ok for a short scene, but it was too long, and became weird.  :mellow:

In the next films we also need to find out and understand how and why Rey has access so fast to the Force, because otherwise it would be weird (Luke's daughter maybe but even so, you know what I mean). I didn't like the scenes with the tentacle monster on Han's ship, it was too forced, and also a bit the way Finn turns against his fellow Stormtroopers, he found his way, but shoots his former colleagues too easily, at least at the beginning.

My personal conclusion: TFA beats the Prequels the same way furry Ewoks beat both the Rebels and the Empire on Endor LOL :lol:

It is not perfect, but a good start for the new Star Wars.

• Like 1

Movie was too rushed. ESPECIALLY everything to do with the New Order and the Resistance.

Loved Rey's and Kylo's parts. Both as characters as well as their story-lines.

Loved Poe as a character.

Liked the Luke-story.

Finn seemed a little out of place, at times. I hope they 'fix' him in the next movie.

At times it seemed a bit goofy, but never at any point 'Jar Jar-goofy', more like 'ROTJ goofy', So that's OK. Gotta please the kids.

Only thing keeping me from TRULY enjoying this was(spoiler in white text):That damn planet-death-star sucking in suns, and pooping out death-rays. How do you fly it? If it has to eat a star to shoot, how do you get it to the next? Everything about it was just terrible...(spoiler end.)

I only watched it twice, so I might change my mind on a couple of things in the future. It's enjoyable and it's Star Wars. I'm looking forward to the next one.

So, time has gone, Christmas is over. I've had time to think about it, after watching it the second time.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Rey turning "Jedi" in 5 minutes, but to me, that was the point of the movie. The Force Awakens... In Rey. I loved that, although it could've been done more gracefully. I like the idea that Kylo's force-torture/interrogation ignites the spark in her.

Another thing that has surfaced is Kylo's nickname: Darth Tantrum(f-ing hilarious :D ) I like him. I love the new take on the inner conflict, and the way Adam acts. Yes, his hair is pretty. Never noticed that before people made conditioner-jokes....

Still don't know what to feel about Finn... I think John ruined him a bit for me. I actually like the actor more, than I like the character... I hope he'll fit in better in VIII.

Listened to William's score a couple of times. Where the movie could've been a bit less nostalgic, and a bit more original, the score could've used a little more of the old recipe. Still, a great score from the greatest composer. I especially liked Rey's theme.

My major complaints are still the same: Plant-Death Star is idiotic(see my spoiler-post), the conflict is too rushed, and(NERD ALERT!) the Millennium Falcon dropping out of hyper-space in planet atmosphere?! COME ON!

Really liked it. Disney and Abrams done good. I think it's my third favourite of the 7 films. It feels like a Star Wars film, much more than EP I - III, but then the less mentioned about those the better. Haha. <br><br>

As for the story, it was always gonna be a bit of a rehash as it's got to cater for both new and old fans, plus in relation to plot holes mentioned, this film was always designed to be the first of a trilogy.<br><br>

Complaining that it doesn't explain everything is like watching a first to show to the first ad break and complaining it's an incomplete story.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it, except for Phasma's giving in about the shields too quickly. That is the only major plot hole that I see. The rest can pretty much be explained with varying degrees to loopholes.

A friend of mine said it perfectly: That this is the OT's "greatest hits" movie, with bits and pieces of each of the OT films, perfect for catching up the new generation (my kids) and being a springboard for new material.

It really could have been (and has been) a lot worse.

Bill

Let's hope in the next one that Captain Phasma does more than just lowers shields without putting up a fight. 

I don't see how. She was on the "new-bigger-better" death star when they blew it up.

She's already been mentioned by LFL as being in Episode 8. So, will we find out if her lowering the shields was cowardice, divided loyalties, or simply bad writing. I suppose it could also be arrogance, like the idea that even lowering the shields couldn't give the Resistance an advantage.

I just hope it's explained one way or another.

Evidence Phasma is not dead:

http://www.hngn.com/articles/162913/20151222/star-wars-episode-8-rumors-captain-phasma-to-be-featured-more.htm

Edited by Astyanax

She's already been mentioned by LFL as being in Episode 8. So, will we find out if her lowering the shields was cowardice, divided loyalties, or simply bad writing. I suppose it could also be arrogance, like the idea that even lowering the shields couldn't give the Resistance an advantage.

I just hope it's explained one way or another.

Evidence Phasma is not dead:

http://www.hngn.com/articles/162913/20151222/star-wars-episode-8-rumors-captain-phasma-to-be-featured-more.htm

Luckily lowering the shields has never ended badly for anyone in the Star Wars universe before :)