TFA vs. Classic TK armor

I'm trying to decide between going with the classic trilogy style of Stormtrooper armor or the New Order variety.

On one hand, having grown up with the classic era Stormtroopers, they seem much more iconic to me, and more recognizable. However, with the release of TFA in a few days, and with my ability to buy armor being almost a year away, by the time I'm in a position to get armor of my own (my goal is to have it in time for Halloween), they'll be pretty mainstream as far as the recognizable Stormtrooper goes. I also think the New Order armor looks better. The new troopers, to me, look more intimidating.

I'm not looking for someone to choose for me since I'm aware the decision is ultimately my own. I'm just looking for insight and comments from the rest of the community on the matter.

I say get the classic now at the lower cost and take your time building it and enjoy it. Then in a year or two you can decide how much you actually use it and see if you want to pay the higher cost for the FO and if they are even available. 

You could always sell the classic to recoup some of the cost of the FO.

• Like 1

Your building skills can also determine what is right for you. Putting together a First Order Stormtrooper is a whole lot more work compared to an Original trilogy Stormtrooper. The FO TK will need the use of bondo or other filling materials plus painting the entire suit. Building one is very similar to a clone trooper build. I know there were quite a few people who were quick to order and acquire a FO TK only to be way in over their heads with the build. Plus it didn't help that the early builds didn't have much documentation or instructions. 

• Like 1

The best advice is start with the easier original TK. Since you can get one within weeks by some vendors. Building this will give you better skills to attempt building the new TFA TK.

• Like 1

nothing beat in design the classic trooper look, not a fan of the Donald Duck helmet

reminds me of a jurassic park t-rex or raptor.

Daniel is right... the FO TK build is a whole different animal. I would start with the basics, literally, and get a classic TK. I think the biggest drawback is having to paint the armor, but the new design doesn't have cover strips to hide the seems. I think the seamless look is nice. What is the correct paint color to use when we do paint?

Wait a minute, I'm waking from my daydream... FO TK's aren't available at all right now, 501st or not. I would guess it will be sometime before they are available to the general public. I'm on the FO TK 501st waiting list myself, so I hope it's sooner than later.

Edited by cjdesign

The TFA is a pretty involved build and is a lot of work.  However, after it is on, the range of motion is better (with improved gaskets that is) so trooping in it is fun. 

The classic isn't bad either though, I love both sets.  Price would be the biggest factor, this build has been a money pit for sure.

• Like 1

I love having both, best of both worlds and ready for which ever new Star Wars movie comes out ;)

• Like 2

My brother and I were in the same boat as you at first. Ultimately, we chose the classic TK for a few reasons.. One, it's what we've always known a stormtrooper to be since we were 4 and 8 years old in 77'. Those frowns really stuck and made an impression on my four year old mind. I guess because there were so many of them! Two, it's readily available with years of build threads and help on this site. And three, the unknown of when TFA kits will even be available and for how much. Initially, we were set on TFA kits, we even have helmets on the way. So, like Paul said, we'll eventually do both! Someday... maybe, (we'll see). In the meantime, we wait for our AP kits and gather supplies, most of which I already have. And honestly, we couldn't be happier with our decision and we're ready to get this going!

My brother and I were in the same boat as you at first. Ultimately, we chose the classic TK for a few reasons.. One, it's what we've always known a stormtrooper to be since we were 4 and 8 years old in 77'. Those frowns really stuck and made an impression on my four year old mind. I guess because there were so many of them! Two, it's readily available with years of build threads and help on this site. And three, the unknown of when TFA kits will even be available and for how much. Initially, we were set on TFA kits, we even have helmets on the way. So, like Paul said, we'll eventually do both! Someday... maybe, (we'll see). In the meantime, we wait for our AP kits and gather supplies, most of which I already have. And honestly, we couldn't be happier with our decision and we're ready to get this going!

AP kits are amazing and I love mine, I get tons of compliments on this one!

That being said..TFA is much..much more detailed. Rushing it's easy, but careful building and it'll take a while.

Money pit for sure

In the end. My 2 cents. TK first, then TFA TK down the road,the skills will transfer over and make TFA building enjoyable vs a daunting task.

I also 2nd mobility. I can move so easily in my TFA and visibility is great, comfortable but really depends on gaskets and under harness assembly and who's build you followed ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 2