Original Weapons?

I noticed that a lot of the weapons in the prequels seem to be scratch made, probably designed by a prop designer and then cast or fabricated, and far fewer of them are based off of real life weapons.

Is there any interest in constructing original weapons or variants using Star Wars styles? Specifically, using real world weapons as a basis for constructing Star Wars universe blasters, and trying to capture the same feel as the original trilogy's weapons.

I'm working on an idea for a smaller blaster pistol based on the Ruger 22/45 and didn't want to bother sharing pics and whatnot of the process if nobody here would be interested. The 22/45 has a similar shape to the C96 Mauser, so I'm envisioning it as a smaller version of the DL-44, perhaps made for people with smaller hands or a desire for a lighter blaster.

I'm in the process of starting a make believe weapon, not based of a real gun, well sort of, sort of not, anyway.... Can't harm posting up here (I intend to) and if people are interested they will comment or reply.

Well, I just recently learned that Ruger, in a silly attempt to stick it to California's handgun safety roster, pulled sales of all of their firearms in CA a few years ago. All they've successfully done is stuck it to their customers here. So, that means that my "DL-30 Blaster Pistol" build is on hold indefinitely unless I can find a private party to purchase the pistol from.

I have another idea for one built from an M1 Carbine. Maybe I'll tinker on that while I wait for the parts for my E-11 to arrive.