Glue/Cement Question

I have been told by a friend and long time trooper that the Plastic Welder does not create a long lasting secure bond and does tend to fail after time. Has anybody else had similar problems?

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that plastic welder is great for anyplace you can reach with clamps (i.e. ends of shins/thighs/forarms/biceps) for it's strong hold, then use superglue gel anyplace you can't reach with clamps (i.e. middle of shins/thighs/forarms/biceps) because of it's 15 second set time.

I used plastic weld on all of my armor and that was 3 years ago. I have never once had it fail in that time and I troop very reguarly. Also in that time I have done some very stupid things in my armor and it has always held up for me. Hope that helps.

• 9 months later...

DEVCON is the brand name I use. In Walmart it is in the glue and tape section of hardware with the duct tape and stuff. Not with the pencils and school glue. It is called Devcon Plastic Welder. It looks like two syringes made together side by side. If I recall it was about 4 bucks a pack. I went thru SEVERAL of these putting my suit together. I'd buy at least 4 to get started. Nothing worse than getting on a building roll and run out of glue.

You squirt it out together. Best to squirt it into the plastic cover it comes in. Don't squirt it on your wife's plates, she will kill you. Whatever you use it is pretty much garbage after you're thru. Then you stir it up real good. Let it set for about 2 or 3 minutes to start to set up. Apply to your armor in the appropriate place. I would highly reccomens scoring the places you are gluing. It gives the glue something to grab ahold of. Makes a better bond. But you don't have to. Clamp your stuff together firmly. Stuff sets in about 10 to 15 minutes. Bond is tighter-n-all get out!!. In about an hour you can remove the clamps.

Thanks darrel :)

hey btw, will PVC adhesive work? I went to a nearby Hardware are they sell it pretty cheap, about $2 per 250ml cans.

Are PVC piping and ABS plastic made of the same stuff? what i see on ABS glue usually works on PVC pipes too.. so will the latter work as well?

Not sure, never used it. I would test it on some scrap ABS first. Check the label for proper ventilation. Fumes might be bad. You don't want to be wasted putting it together. I drank too much vodka one night while putting mine together. Cutting knife slipped, ended up in the emergency room with 7 stitches. :o OUCH!!