ATA armor build in progress

Thought I'd share some pics of my ATA ANH Stunt build. I started off with the helmet first. Needless to say I was terrified with every cut and trim I made, lol! Seriously though, I was. 

IMG_3621_zpslkb32mpr.jpg

I'm really happy that ATA Works sends a set of spare ears. I ended up using one.

IMG_4280_zpsq9hsiikd.jpg

IMG_4282_zpsvega4hvy.jpg

I followed Gazmosis's ATA helmet build (I highly recommend for your 1st ATA helmet). I'm really happy with the cheesecloth Plasti-Dip interior.

IMG_3913_zpswpzskeqk.jpg

IMG_3912_zpsgwy9njmj.jpg

IMG_4299_zpsrj7psjuv.jpg

IMG_4301_zpstpopmzsm.jpg

I've completed the helmet (and blaster during the long ATA wait). I have also built up more confidence working with the material. I've trimmed most of the parts and I'm currently in the process of creating my bracket system for the torso. I pulled out my wife's sewing machine, read through the instructions and started sewing the elastic loops. It was easier then I was anticipating. I got some great tips from RainTrooper with placing the brackets on the ATA armor. ATA has some very small return edges so some of the screws face outwards but they will be covered by the belt.

IMG_4042_zps0kmfabpr.jpg

I did a test fit of the armor and found that I will need to trim 1 inch off of each side of the kidney to get a much better fit. It was like wearing a loose plastic barrel before I made the adjustments. I'm 5' 10" and 160 lbs. The pics below show the ab and kidney taped to where I'll be making the cut on the kidney. I love the fit of this much better. I might need to trim the butt a bit so it lines up, but I'm going to wait and see on that. I'm happy to hear comments and suggestions.

IMG_4274_zpsufivrp7i.jpg

EC4DE361-F640-4394-8A3F-9FD17FD50687_zps

Edited by Squimspickle
  • Like 3

So I finished up bracketing and strapping the torso of my armor.  That was a lot of putting on and taking off of the torso pieces! I attached the shoulder bridges and the ab buttons.  I ended up moving the shoulder bells closer to the shoulder bridges. I'm starting to paint the exposed screws and rivets. My next project will be the belt.

IMG_4366_zpszacwkvbw.jpg

IMG_4372_zpsadlbft1n.jpg

IMG_4371_zpsghclbgd4.jpg

Edited by Squimspickle

Very Nice Aaron  :duim: . Note: Make sure that chest piece stays down over the ab, especially during approvals. 

Thanks Tony!  Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that in the pic until now. I will def keep that in mind.

I finished my ATA thermal detonator. I might have cut off a little more then I should have on the control panel part.  But all in all I'm satisfied.

image5_zpst9ztgvxs.jpg

image3_zpsylmoj8du.jpg

Then I painted the slotted screws on the detonator black. Thermal detonator...done.

I went to The Force Awakens yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It motivated me to tackle the belt.

I had been putting off the belt for awhile. After I trimmed out all the parts and pieces I was on a role and it was easier to see what I needed to do to get this completed.

image4_zpssqvmcy9a.jpg

Oops! Needed to change the placement of a snap. It landed under a ridge of the plastic ammo clips.  I could have left it, but it did make the belt push out a bit in that area. I also had to remind myself how long I waited for this kit so taking a little extra time and move a snap on the canvas belt and abdominal armor would make it right.

image2-1_zps5b2lnqhs.jpg

I'm glad I stopped and took the time to make that fix. Part of this building process is a great lesson in patience!

image1_zps1cvhz30x.jpg

image2_zps5pgsfnfx.jpg

Completed Stormtrooper belt... check!

image1-1_zpstor8fsib.jpg

All I have left to do is the thighs and shins!!! 

Edited by Squimspickle

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Xmas! This morning I finished up my thighs. So this evening I pulled out the sewing machine again and assembled the thigh armor garter.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  I need to get the rest of my chicken legs covered! The end is so close.

IMG_4572_zps0okt5hzz.jpg

IMG_4574_zpsnmtgoz0g.jpg

Edited by Squimspickle

Getting more and more excited to submit my pics! When I started this whole build I didn't even know how I was going to tackle this intimidating project. But working one section at a time it's been coming together. I started working on the shins. Back to trimming plastic.

IMG_4577_zpsjnxchsj7.jpg

IMG_4579_zpshswjhnqs.jpg

I'm going with the hooks and elastic to hold my shins closed. 

IMG_4587_zpsgalco78y.jpg

Right one is done left one to go. I just have to remember to do everything opposite for the left one. I want the opening seam to face the inside of my legs. The pic below is a weird angle because the ankle isn't that small. I'm happy with how it closes.

IMG_4586_zpsifkwo1mj.jpg

Edited by Squimspickle

Looking fantastic, Aaron!  Hopefully you will get approved soon and get those EIB submission pics in, then on to Centurion!

• Like 1