MR CE Brow Trim

I'm in the process of totally re-doing this bucket. I accidentally ripped the brow trim while removing it. Anyone have any replacement trim ideas, i.e. places to buy locally, or where to order it. Also, if anyone on here has some to sell, please PM me.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm in the process of totally re-doing this bucket. I accidentally ripped the brow trim while removing it. Anyone have any replacement trim ideas, i.e. places to buy locally, or where to order it. Also, if anyone on here has some to sell, please PM me.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm looking all over for rubber trim. I wonder if I am looking in the right places....

Window trim and molding, vehicle molding, rubber trim, etc...nothing seems to yeild the right thing.

Onigiri said:
Looks fantastic...still teh best bang for teh buck in troopin helmets....

Agreed!

While I'm at it I'll post up some progress pics.

I'm waiting on painting the frown until I get the decals for the traps and tears so I can use matching paint. I masked off the original trap/tear details, but when I removed the masking tape (yes, the blue easy to remove kind) it took nearly half of one of the back ones off, so I'm getting vinyl decals. I'll most likely be painting the vocoder (satin black) this weekend.

I cut down the ears so they dont stick out so far and added screws. Also added new darker lenses. I found some door trim that I re-purposed to brow trim by doing some precise cutting.

The hovis are the originals. I removed them by grinding them out from the back using a cylindrical burr tip on my dremel. After they were off the helmet I ground out the remaining white plastic and epoxy in the back of them using the same burr tip. There is a nice ridge about 1/4" deep in them. I made circles out of black abs and bottomed them out in the hovi and filled it with plastic weld then I embedded a screw into them. I used some spare white ABS and plastic welded some squares in on the back side of the large holes in the recesses of the helmet and then drilled a small hole for the hovi screws. I hope to be trying out Stompers' hovis on it soon once I get everything situated.

Filling in the frown gap. Plastic welder, spot putty, then primer. Also sanded down all mold lines on the helmet.

VUg7slJ.jpg

More filling and primer

484NQu1.jpg

First paint coat. Krylon fusion gloss white, followed by wet sand, then second coat.

gTlvrT5.jpg

Polished second coat. Don't try polishing compound or novus on the original paint unless you don't want it on there anymore. Polishing krylon fusion is like polishing iron.

HFnUAOP.jpg

Top angle view showing there are no mold seams or gaps

XEm2hmY.jpg

Door trim re-purposed as replacement brow trim (looks better than original), the original got messed up during removal

QYHrnNd.jpg

Nice job on the ears. I was too much of a chicken to do that mod...I had a hard enough time just getting the paint right.

Anyway, what decals will you be using? I orded the ANH set from trooperdecals...some fit ok, some didn't. The teardrop was a little small, but seems to work ok as is. The traps just above the brow trim will need a bit trimmed off the bottom edge. The most difficult was the decals for the rear of the helmet. The angles were wrong, as was the length. I needed to make a template by rubbing pencil on paper over the indents in the helmet, cut out the template, and lay it over the existing decal. Draw the outline with thin black Sharpie, and cut it out with an X-acto knife. Make sure the stripes are centered...and you will lose a stripe or two on each decal. You will also need new 1/16" black pin-striping to make a new outline. I used this...

...instead of auto pin-striping. It should be available at hobby shops where models are sold.

The angles of the striping were too sharp to just bend it, so I had to cut it in sections. It's not noticeable unless you're really close up...and thats too close. ;)

There's a guy on ebay (toonman3f4v) that makes tube stripes proportionate to the MR-CE. Those are his stripes on my bucket. I inquired if he was going to make the traps & tears for the helmet and he said that he was planning on it and was working out the details of making them. If it doesn't work out I'll end up painting them on.