*NO BLASTER USE / DISPLAY | Lucasfilm, Ltd. - Disney Policy*

TK bondservnt

Thanks! I think it's important that we talk about this stuff, because these issues are very powerful and have a lot to do with complicated emotional responses. It's hard to really talk through violent problems like these, but it's necessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The 501st is not like a business.  We have personal choices, and are not under any kind of corporate rule.  Albin our leader, and founder has made statements quite to the contrary.

it has in fact been said that the 501st does not have to be a lacky to disney, and as a separate group we don't have to simply bow to some kind of ban on blasters.

if you're not a 501 member, and don't have access to the debate, then you're just guessing. 

it has clearly been shown in the public eye this week disney employees, major actors in the film (mark hamill) have openly been carrying blasters in open public appearances.

I see no blaster ban in place for disneyland, or for hollywood Blvd.

sounds like a crock to me.

• Like 1

I'm really not guessing. If you read over the rules for the 501st, which are available to the general public, it's very clear that the actions of members are understood to be representative of the organization as a whole. That's why membership can be revoked for involvement in criminal activities. I'm not saying that the 501st is under any kind of corporate leadership. I'm not saying that the 501st is like a business at all. Again, it's a club. Yes, individual choices can be made. However, those choices reflect on the rest of the 501st as every member is viewed as representative of the whole.

Again, this isn't a ban on blasters. It's a request to refrain from carrying them.

• Like 5

I'm really not guessing. If you read over the rules for the 501st, which are available to the general public, it's very clear that the actions of members are understood to be representative of the organization as a whole. That's why membership can be revoked for involvement in criminal activities. I'm not saying that the 501st is under any kind of corporate leadership. I'm not saying that the 501st is like a business at all. Again, it's a club. Yes, individual choices can be made. However, those choices reflect on the rest of the 501st as every member is viewed as representative of the whole.

Again, this isn't a ban on blasters. It's a request to refrain from carrying them.

Well said. To me we are supposed to be somewhat military, should we not be following chain of command, and our Garrison CO/XO orders?
  • Like 3

I just want us to carry blasters.

I do too good sir - and concur it is part of the trooper image but no doubt obviously frustrating to not have that image for the new movie or for troops.

A different perspective for you, if I may, is to look at this as a show of compassion during the Holiday Season. This way you have two hands available for high fives, fist pumps, hugs, and the occasional ladies that like to hug a trooper from both sides.

Stay positive mate - it's only temporary.

With calm minds we will be holding those beauty's again soon enough and with all the new movies coming up troops and demand will increase with more opportunities to carry.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Freedom is the lack of restraint.  Terrorism and gun violence have nothing, and I say nothing to do with our freedom to carry fake guns in the face of terrorism.

For us as a legion to stand in the face of terror with a fake gun.  I say it is a right.

I want to be given my right to carry my fake gun in the defiance of terror.

If we do not stand for our freedom then we will fall for anything.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

Look: You're misunderstanding two things here. One is the nature of rights, and the other is the nature of freedom. Rights are, by definition, legal entitlements to behave a particular way. You absolutely do have a right to carry a blaster whenever you want, depending on what part of the US you live in, as long as you adhere to local laws as they pertain to the carriage of firearms, firearm replicas, and toys or props resembling firearms. That is your right as a citizen of the US. However, as a trooper in the 501st, you have agreed to a particular set of rules which limit your natural rights as a US citizen WHILE IN COSTUME. While you are representing an organization, you must obey the guidelines laid down by that organization. By not adhering to guidelines followed by an organization, you essentially submit yourself to disciplinary action at the hands of the organization. Again, this boils down to the fact that the 501st is essentially a really high-quality costume club. You have to follow the club's rules, even if you don't like them. You signed up to be in the club.

Second is the nature of freedom. You say that freedom is a "lack of restraint." I completely disagree. Freedom is not a lack of restraint, but rather a mutually consensual agreement by two parties wherein freedoms to do particular things (kill people, steal things, what we refer to as "crime") are forfeited in return for protection from threats, both foreign and domestic, natural and man-made. Freedom, really, as many would define it in a governmental sense, is the ability to live without fear.

An argument can be made for "standing up to terrorism and showing that we're not afraid" as a means of guaranteeing some a fear-free life, but how can that help the victims of domestic terrorism? Where do we draw the line and accept that holding onto our guns doesn't actually do anything to combat terrorism?

I hate to bring this in because I know that it always starts fights, but it's at the core of this argument anyway and it might as well be said outright:

Guns have not solved the issue. We have fought wars against terrorism, both in the US and overseas. We have increased military spending to frankly unsustainable levels. We have destroyed a huge amount of foreign lives and allowed many of our own to be destroyed in the process. So why do you cling to this idea that keeping guns in the modern canon will do anything to help? It hasn't for close to twenty years. We need to make a change. Keeping up this idea that our guns will solve anything is childish.

Complaining about the request to cease carriage of blaster props and relying solely on anti-terrorism and patriotism does nothing to help your cause. The fact of the matter is that Disney and Lucasfilm, in concert with the 501st, have very respectfully requested that members of the 501st not carry blaster props at official troops. Whether or not you adhere to that request is up to you, but you need to be willing to face the consequences of disobeying a clear and direct request.

• Like 5

<br>

I'm sure Isis and all their cohorts everywhere are running around giving each other high-fives and firing their AKs into the air in GRAND celebration that they have succeeded in making it so that make-believe spacemen who wear plastic suits have been requested to not carry their make-believe space guns at official events.<br><br>

LOL

Or to put it like this, if you had a concealed carry license where you troop, would you still carry a live firearm while in costume? The 501st would not allow that ('m pretty sure about that at least). While it would be your right as a license holder and US citizen to do so.

• Like 1

Or to put it like this, if you had a concealed carry license where you troop, would you still carry a live firearm while in costume? The 501st would not allow that ('m pretty sure about that at least). While it would be your right as a license holder and US citizen to do so.

This is true, I hadn't thought about it in reverse. I would certainly hope that the 501st would frown upon the carriage of live firearms at a troop.  :blink:

Fear will keep the local systems in line. 

personally I have been asked at several events by law enforcement if my prop is real, and since I own and use a sound system, they are usually quite surprised

by my response when I tell them over the speaker that my prop is a solid block of resin, or rubber, with no moving parts.

In every single event where blasters have been present, the event marked the item with a zip tie.

I personally don't agree that free people should bow to public pressure from terrorist groups.  If we ban blasters in the 501st legion, then we are

showing FEAR.

Orange Tips , tags, flags and zip ties have worked for over 15 years, and they are mandated in some states.

devaluing the methods used in the past, as if they were not good enough simply shows a loss of freedom.

Agree.

Good post. Worth to think about it. :jc_doublethumbup:

I see it quite simple.

You may feel better with your blaster - but if only a few, maybe even one, parents are feeling uncomfortable at a event seeing this gunlike things (and they can´t check every blaster to feel better) - what is more important? Your wish to carry it, or their not to see such? Do you still try to argue "We don´t do this for us, we only do it for the people"? Or would you be honest and say "I´m selfishly, and i need the plastic gun to really feel good as a plastic spaceman"?

A little bit like farting. I´m sure there is no law against it, but everyone with good manners wouldn´t do it at a dinner table or other such moments. If you´re alone in the woods, noone will care, go ahead.

• Like 4

Fear will keep the local systems in line. 

personally I have been asked at several events by law enforcement if my prop is real, and since I own and use a sound system, they are usually quite surprised

by my response when I tell them over the speaker that my prop is a solid block of resin, or rubber, with no moving parts.

In every single event where blasters have been present, the event marked the item with a zip tie.

I personally don't agree that free people should bow to public pressure from terrorist groups.  If we ban blasters in the 501st legion, then we are

showing FEAR.

Orange Tips , tags, flags and zip ties have worked for over 15 years, and they are mandated in some states.

devaluing the methods used in the past, as if they were not good enough simply shows a loss of freedom.

We'd have to change/redesign our garrison emblem if the 501st were to ban blaster props. Our emblem HAS a blaster in it. We're not the only ones.

But I agree . . . .  :deadhorse:  :deadhorse:  :56pullhair:

• Like 1

The point I made in the first place is simple.

Freedom stands for me to be able to carry a fake gun with my stormtrooper costume in public.  I had that right before, and I don't want some stupid people taking away my right and my freedom from carrying a fake gun ( which I am proud of, and I spent thousands of hours working on in study) I certainly would carry it according to legion rules.  Those rules are already in place.  I personally feel that if we in the legion are not allowed to carry blasters.

Then why have disney members openly carried blasters.  I will stand in opposition to any kind of limitation of my personal freedom to bear even FAKE arms.

I carried my fake gun on stage with Weird Al..  We all had fake guns onstage.

we were here before them, and blasters have never caused problems before.

If we stop carrying blasters then I feel we have allowed fear to win... and fear leads to the dark side... 'we are bad guy's doing good'

this blaster ban garbage is just that... fear, and pandering.

it is not a sign of respect to allow terror to win.  We must not allow public pressure to eliminate blasters from the deployment.

If we ban open carry of FAKE guns in star wars costuming, then we allow fear to CHANGE our life.  This allows fear and terrorism to win in the public mindset.

We are used to being proud of our blasters... and now because of this stupid fear we should just be willing to 'drop em'

I would be willing to bet most who want to drop em, had a hasbro.

As  a costume fan I have spent hundreds of hours working on the history of the blaster.

www.e-11blaster.com 

Fear never stopped me from carrying my fake gun.

And NO I do not believe in following the party line... I can see 2 of you who are quickly brainwashed into [following orders]

PS  and just to tell the  Trolls on this thread.. freedom does not like banning anything... that is a contradiction...

we danced and we had fun with blasters in our hands.

I am standing in mere center stage on the left hand side of vader right behind AL.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 2

The point you made in the first place is invalid. If you don't like requests made by the 501st, don't adhere to them, but don't complain about them either and be prepared to face the consequences of failing to adhere to them.

Again, super respectful request which is totally up to you to ignore. Just be aware that if you do, the 501st is pretty clearly entitled to the ability to put forth disciplinary action. Continuing to yell about terrorism does nothing to help your argument.

• Like 2