*NO BLASTER USE / DISPLAY | Lucasfilm, Ltd. - Disney Policy*

TK bondservnt

4844869-6077858223-YodaHu.jpeg

-Eric

hahahahaha

Basically in the end after all this, the result is the same. Talk to your GEC and the event requester sets the policy.

Move along, move along...

• Like 2

Best response I've seen "For the premieres, lets be smart, and give up the guns. Its just for a few nights. LFL already relaxed the rest of the request so that other events are up to us at local level. Call it "compromise". Each side gives just a little bit. Meet in the middle."

• Like 5

I feel a compromise would be more along the lines of keeping our weapons that resemble guns holstered. They can still be inspected by the police at the TFA theaters events and peace bonded with whatever secret colored ribbons the event coordinators wish to use.

Scott Alan Wilcox | TK-42194 | Centurion | Imperial Rangers Fire Team | Kilted Trooper Brigade

North Texas Squad Leader 2015

"Lord Vader is coming - look busy..."

• Like 2

I feel a compromise would be more along the lines of keeping our weapons that resemble guns holstered. They can still be inspected by the police at the TFA theaters events and peace bonded with whatever secret colored ribbons the event coordinators wish to use.

Scott Alan Wilcox | TK-42194 | Centurion | Imperial Rangers Fire Team | Kilted Trooper Brigadeo

North Texas Squad Leader 2015

"Lord Vader is coming - look busy..."

f

what a great reason to wear a holster?   That is what it's for!  so we could ask the 501 to holster their weapon unless asked for photos

Don't forget, people panic when something bad happened and a lot of bad things happened lately. Disney/LFL have an image to protect and for a good majority of the general public, they don't know who we are (more and more start to tho) and they associate us with Lucas. So why don't we just let the dust settle for a couple of weeks. Power to be will talk among each other. Then, we can decide to b!tch or not. I like my blaster, it adds to the armor and I feel naked without it, even if 95% of the time it's in my holster. But for now, it will stay at home.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Taking away the opportunity to troop in full costume for the premiere of the biggest film that many never thought would happen in our lifetimes is a fairly large slap when a compromise makes so much more sense. At the very least there should have been a vote by the membership.

Scott Alan Wilcox TK-42194

badguysdoinggood@gmail.com

NTX Squad Leader

Star Garrison

• Like 1

You think Disney and/or LFL didn't have a board meeting I which they at least informally voted? It's not up to us unless we personally own enough stock in the parent corporation. We're still just a fringe-class cosplay club that is tolerated at their whim and I think we should act accordingly. I'd hate for this to be viewed as reason the 501st can no longer be ignored by their copyright lawyers etc. when they've been nothing but nice about their request. Not that that's a likely scenario, but still a reason to not wake the giant. Why wouldn't our club in particular observe a "moment of blasterlessness," especially if they're viewed by everyone as such center pieces to the costume? What an opportunity to spread a positive empathetic attitude regarding world events to those who ask about their absence. We should carry banners/flags with crossed-out circles over an E11, and/or some catchy poignant phrases like "Unarmed and Proud," "Blaster-less and Unphased," "Empire of Empathy," or preferably something much better along those lines lol :) We have a reputation to uphold, after all.

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 2

Again, there's no loss of freedom here. You were never guaranteed a right to bear blasters. In the 501st, you're part of an organization. As such, you're required to follow its guidelines. You agreed to that when you signed on. You forfeited your "freedom" the day you became a member.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Are you allowed to carry a concealed weapon in public if you have a licence in the USA...or anywhere for that matter?

I know the law in Australia but was wondering how it differs from the rest of the world. 

Edit - forgot the question mark...

Edited by HansDC

Are you allowed to carry a concealed weapon in public if you have a licence in the USA...or anywhere for that matter?

I know the law in Australia but was wondering how it differs from the rest of the world.

Edit - forgot the question mark...

In the US it varies by state. Also some states it's much easier to get a concealed carry permit than others.

Hey there mates, this kind of action is not uncommon and happens more often than you think - even when I served on my tour of duty. Sometimes word from HQ would dictate that only certain weapons could be taken out on patrol during certain times. The important part is that we be patient, co-operate and let the situation calm down. Don't give the evil eye any reason to look our way.

I , however, can't promise that it won't be permanent - but it's generally only when undisciplined situations occur that permanent disciplinary actions are required.

Cheers troopers!

Compared to most here I've only been an approved member and trooping for a year...so I can't really compare anything to how it 'was'. 

But I don't think we should panic and cast knee jerk reactions. Just yet anyways. 

In my squad, nothing has changed so far. We have ALWAYS been told 'yea' or 'nae' before the event if we should have our blasters or not.

Sometimes its 'all good'. Sometimes 'in holster only'. Sometimes the client requests it. And sometimes its a 'might as well leave the holster at home too'.

So much so that it has become the culture for troopers to actually ask if we can have blasters before each troop in the changeroom. Hospitals and other more sensitive troops are of course a no-brainer. And so far no one has complained. Ever. 

I personally think the blasters are a part of the costume/character. I've said it before somewhere that a Jedi without a lightsaber is just some person in a fancy bathrobe innit. But I kinda get it that at some point...if I want to be in the gang...I would have to adhere to certain rules weather I like it or not. 

• Like 2

I can't help but comment after watching the news and my FB feed all day...

Whether you troop with or without your blaster, I urge you to CONSIDER the following:

As we watch the beginning of jihad on our soil, and as EP7 and Christmas approach, I encourage all of you to keep your eyes up, and heads on a swivel.

If you think what's happening now is, or will continue to be isolated, and it can't be, or simply isn't terrorism, you should probably do yourself a favor and just stay home.

If you're going out, the MOST important thing you can do is PLAN.

As Vern has pointed out repeatedly, DO NOT fear going anywhere.

DO NOT fear going to a movie, a Christmas function or going shopping.

But PLAN, and make sure everyone in your group KNOWS the plan.

Here are a few things you can do to be more vigilant in public:

-Always look for more than one way to escape.

-Know where multiple exits are.

-Keep your eyes open for heavy cover areas. 

-Watch those around you. 

-Bulky coats will be everywhere during winter. Look for bulges at waist height that look unnatural.

-Don't let family members venture farther than a few steps.

-Have a family agreement that you will be the sheepdog. So you're on watch. They do the shopping, while you do your job. 

-If you need to shop, do your shopping alone and leave the family at home. 

-Look for people who seem out of place or are acting unnaturally.

-Avoid malls if possible. Small shops have less people, and are less likely to be a target for terrorists. Their goal is the largest body count with the least effort.

Hopefully, the worst that will happen is you can tell me I'm ridiculous or having a knee jerk reaction...

• Like 3

Again, there's no loss of freedom here. You were never guaranteed a right to bear blasters. In the 501st, you're part of an organization. As such, you're required to follow its guidelines. You agreed to that when you signed on. You forfeited your "freedom" the day you became a member.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

huh?  pure doubletalk.

no loss, by giving up the right?  Albin himself has made it a point in this debate.  read the posts on the main board.

my point will always be that if fear makes us change our lives, (carrying a toy gun with pride.) then the terrorists win.

Then I never will give up my freedom to carry an e-11, or an F11.    I am a stormtrooper.   I carry a toy gun.  I'm proud of it, just like my armor.

way too THX 1138 for me... sorry... no go.

none of the members of the 501st have ever been expected to do anything less than represent the legion with pride.

I'll be wearing my TX and carrying a lightsabre.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I can't help but comment after watching the news and my FB feed all day...

Whether you troop with or without your blaster, I urge you to CONSIDER the following:

As we watch the beginning of jihad on our soil, and as EP7 and Christmas approach, I encourage all of you to keep your eyes up, and heads on a swivel.

If you think what's happening now is, or will continue to be isolated, and it can't be, or simply isn't terrorism, you should probably do yourself a favor and just stay home.

If you're going out, the MOST important thing you can do is PLAN.
As Vern has pointed out repeatedly, DO NOT fear going anywhere.
DO NOT fear going to a movie, a Christmas function or going shopping.
But PLAN, and make sure everyone in your group KNOWS the plan.

Here are a few things you can do to be more vigilant in public:
-Always look for more than one way to escape.
-Know where multiple exits are.
-Keep your eyes open for heavy cover areas. 
-Watch those around you. 
-Bulky coats will be everywhere during winter. Look for bulges at waist height that look unnatural.
-Don't let family members venture farther than a few steps.
-Have a family agreement that you will be the sheepdog. So you're on watch. They do the shopping, while you do your job. 
-If you need to shop, do your shopping alone and leave the family at home. 
-Look for people who seem out of place or are acting unnaturally.
-Avoid malls if possible. Small shops have less people, and are less likely to be a target for terrorists. Their goal is the largest body count with the least effort.

Hopefully, the worst that will happen is you can tell me I'm ridiculous or having a knee jerk reaction...

beautiful common sense!

well done!

I love star wars because it is about conflict. And without a toy gun, we cannot stand in the face of terrorism.  We will be unarmed.

A massive group of men and women all carrying fake weapons can be stronger than those with real ones.

If you don't stand for something then you will fall for anything.

I love star wars because it is about conflict. And without a toy gun, we cannot stand in the face of terrorism. We will be unarmed.

A massive group of men and women all carrying fake weapons can be stronger than those with real ones.

If you don't stand for something then you will fall for anything.

While I applaud your enthusiasm, I sincerely hope you can respect what happened today enough to put the feelings of others before your own philosophical ideals, at least for a short time. I like SW for the personal internal conflict, not for the violence inherent to the fictitious setting. Real lives are in question, and real consideration deserves to be implemented at a societal level surpassing personal convictions. John Nash: what's best for ourselves AND for the group. Edited by charlesnarles

What happened today is one more reason why we need to take care.

every single day, we're going to see events that compassion and love can be shared.  After all love of mankind is what the 501st is all about....

Stand strong, and stand against fear, and against gun violence and terrorism.

screen-shot-2014-10-07-at-9-14-38-pm.png

I vote we keep carrying toy guns as a show of support.

• Like 1

huh?  pure doubletalk.

no loss, by giving up the right?  Albin himself has made it a point in this debate.  read the posts on the main board.

my point will always be that if fear makes us change our lives, (carrying a toy gun with pride.) then the terrorists win.

Then I never will give up my freedom to carry an e-11, or an F11.    I am a stormtrooper.   I carry a toy gun.  I'm proud of it, just like my armor.

way too THX 1138 for me... sorry... no go.

none of the members of the 501st have ever been expected to do anything less than represent the legion with pride.

I'll be wearing my TX and carrying a lightsabre.

At no point did I use "double talk."

I'd like to start this by saying that I'm not a 501st member, so I can't read discussions on the main boards.

Here's the thing: as a member of the 501st, you do not exist to represent yourself or your opinions/beliefs. That's not how an organization works. You wouldn't go to work and refuse to carry out company policy because you were too proud to. As a member of the 501st, you represent the whole of the 501st. That means that you need to follow any rules or regulations set by the 501st. It means that you need to respect and adhere to any official requests made by the 501st. I'm all for challenging governing powers and questioning authority, but in this instance it isn't really appropriate. You're a volunteer, and your membership in the 501st is a privilege. Because it's a privilege, there are no rights associated with it. There aren't any laws securing your right to bear blasters. That's just how it is.

Basically, you're part of a club. When you're in a club, you follow the club's rules. If you don't follow the club's rules, the rest of the club kicks you out, because it doesn't make sense that one member should get to decide not to follow the rules when everyone else does.

I don't know what I'm not communicating, but that's what it boils down to. Your membership is a privilege, your ability to carry blasters at official events is a privilege. No rights are being infringed upon, nobody is being harmed, no terrorists are winning.

Edited by CommanderZel
  • Like 8