Temp use of Velcro as attachments?

Hi all - any thoughts on using Velcro as a way of securing all key parts of armor in order to get 501st approval, and THEN working on more secure/rigorous snap connections? I'm keen get approved and everything, and also want to do a good job with my kit, so was thinking rather than rushing the attachments, use Velcro as a "very" temp measure in the meantime. Any input or messages of caution?

I'm confused with your plan.   Do you want to trim, cut and glue all the plastic pieces together and then use Velcro to assemble them all so you can wear them?  Or, do you want to use Velcro to hold all the plastic pieces together so you don't have to glue them together and install the cover strips?

Hi all - any thoughts on using Velcro as a way of securing all key parts of armor in order to get 501st approval, and THEN working on more secure/rigorous snap connections? I'm keen get approved and everything, and also want to do a good job with my kit, so was thinking rather than rushing the attachments, use Velcro as a "very" temp measure in the meantime. Any input or messages of caution?

I guess it depends. I use snaps everywhere. One good reason to use velcro is on the thighs in the backs. I just had two applicants who glued them too large, and now are unhappy with a request to trim them down. Much pain could have been avoided if they had used velcro first and only glued them after a troop or two when they know what would work.

• Like 3

I guess it depends. I use snaps everywhere. One good reason to use velcro is on the thighs in the backs. I just had two applicants who glued them too large, and now are unhappy with a request to trim them down. Much pain could have been avoided if they had used velcro first and only glued them after a troop or two when they know what would work.

Or alterantively they could have tried them on with tape to see if they would fit, then afterwards trim accordingly and glue them together. I always test fitted my armour parts and measure, measure, measure! Better to measure one time more than simply glue things together.

Mine are all snaps. Two snaps. Attached to snap plates that are made of Velcro. :) Now, they didn't all have snaps to begin with - my bicep-forearm straps were only Velcro because I was ready for approval, and wanted to complete it before I moved. The Velcro in the arms held up alright, for probably fifteen events and then they began to come loose every now and then. If you're otherwise ready for approval, sure... Why not. You can - and will - be upgrading/tweaking your armor for awhile anyway. As Paul said, the thighs in particular can be pretty tricky to fit properly. I fully support his suggestion of keeping them velcroed for a few events if you're unsure about the fit.

• Like 2

This hobby requires a lot of patience. Relax and don't rush it. That's how costly mistakes happen. Some parts don't come together easily (I'm looking at you forearms!). For instance you'll need to clamp them and leave overnight so the glue cures and they stick together wether they like it or not. Don't worry the legion will be here when you're finished. Good luck!

• Like 1

Take your time, young padawan... If you use temporary attachments, nothing proves that your permanent attachments will give you a good look. Why are you in such a hurry ? You're eager to wear your costume, we all understand that, but it's a waste of time, it will not be functional more than a couple of minutes. Take your time to do it right.

• Like 1