Sebastien Doopydoo E11 Hasbro conversion with custom Arduino internals

Hi All,

This is my Hasbro Doopydoo conversion build. Not the best choice (but i realized that after i had some more knowledge about the available options for blasters). Conclusion : ALWAYS READ FIRST and take as much information as you can before buying anything.

Anyway, i have all the material so let's start with this build.

One thing that matters to me was to be able to replace the standard internals to be able to have :

- A laser bulb at the knob.

- A red led bulb to light the inner barrel (and make like the laser is generated from inside the gun).

- A sound when pressing the trigger.

To achieve that, i used an Arduino Mini pro (2$) and create a program (i can share it if anyone interested). I take some inspiration here :

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19322-arduino-a-cheap-board-for-e11-blaster-effects/?hl=arduino

but i don't want to go to something as complex. I would like to create something that does not need additional modules and can be completely embedded inside the arduino mini pro board. So i extracted a blaster sound from a Youtube video and encoded it so it can be read by the arduino and store it inside the internal memory.

I then used the same speaker and red led bulb and add just a red laser bulb.

The result is here, but really the sound on the video is awful. it's far better in real life and not worst than the original hasbro  :laugh1: : https://youtu.be/AxdkOlq7m5o

The blaster, out of the box and the Doopydoo's Kit :

IMG_1075.jpg

My first goal is to be able to open the blaster to modify the internals. I would like to add a laser pointer instead of the led

First, i cut the nose :

IMG_1076.jpg

Then remove the scope :

IMG_1077.jpg

It was really a nightmare to remove the back of the scope. The glue is VERY HARD

IMG_1078.jpg

What should happend, happend : i broke the back. I will need to replace that piece.

IMG_1079.jpg

Ok, path is now clear

IMG_1080.jpg

Argh, the top rail is also glued with the same hard glue... need to break it...

IMG_1081.jpg

I sand the legal writings

IMG_1082.jpg

And finally i can open the blaster

IMG_1083.jpg

Inside the gun

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

I removed all the internals

IMG_1086.jpg

and then some more sanding : the scope rail

IMG_1087.jpg

And the heading

IMG_1131.jpg

and the barrel bottom rails. WARNING : If you follow this thread don't make the same mistake as me. You only need to remove the 6th rail, the one on the right side of the gun if the barrel is aiming at you. I should have watched more pictures and read more documentation because i made a terrible mistake here.

So, i sand both of the bottom barrel rails

IMG_1088.jpg

and use guides to drill holes inside

IMG_1101.jpgIMG_1102.jpgIMG_1103.jpg

I was proud of the result until i figured out my mistake !

IMG_1106.jpg

I then figured out my mistake and after crying, i tried to find a solution. So my option was to make a copy of one of the additional rails used in the doopydo kit. A kind of recast for my own purpose  :0Lighten:

I used plaster to create a mold of the rail 

IMG_1119.jpg

After sanding, the result is really average, but i will try to hide that with weathering...

IMG_1145.jpg

OK, now the internals...

I start to connect the arduino

IMG_1121.jpg

I replace the standard board with a breadboard behind the trigger

IMG_1122.jpg

I added a switch on the breadboard to catch the trigger pull 

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

As the arduino shoul be powered with more than 3v (it's a 5v arduino pro), i sanded the internals of the battery compartment to fit a 9v battery :

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

Same on the cap

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

I put the laser bulb inside the doopydoo nose :

IMG_1132.jpg

And then i applied the doopydoo mod on the blaster

IMG_1134.jpg

The fold needs some sanding

IMG_1135.jpg

One thing that bother me on the hasbro is that the exhaust hole cover is on the wrong side, so i tried to create a new one using the chunk of the scope i cut previously

IMG_1137.jpg

I sand it on the good shape 

IMG_1142.jpg

and then glued it on the barrel

IMG_1143.jpg

Now it's time for painting

IMG_1167.jpg

the black coat

IMG_1172.jpg

On the side where there are holes, i covered the holes with a tape to avoid painting my red led bulb in black  :lol: I then finished the painting with a small brush

IMG_1173.jpg

I then  used silver paint for the inner barrel with a small piece of cardboard glued on the barrel

IMG_1178.jpg

End result

IMG_1179.jpg

The finished gun

IMG_1176.jpg

Edited by sebastien

• 2 years later...