Star Wars Battlefront (DICE) Shock Trooper

Looking great.  If you want to take that shine down completely, I learned from my Fett build: Testors Dull Cote finishing spray works amazingly to dull down damn near any paints I applied.  Works as a clear coat, too.  Looks like there's some reflections at the shoulders and possibly the bucket, but the legs look really dull.

Edited by bzb
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2015 at 5:54 AM, Comfy Turtle said:

I'm jealous of how fast your getting this done, but it gives me refrences to go back on when my parts arrive  :)

I'd be going faster if I HAD all my parts, lol. Someone else actually got the whole thing done yesterday, but there's just a couple things I noticed on his that I would change before submitting.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

----------

Mask it off like I did, and you should be fine. Dab liquid latex or toothpaste on a few spots to simulate paint chips. You can use an x-acto knife to cut the tape, taking care not to scratch the plastic. Scuff the areas you want red with some high grit sandpaper, do a light coat, wait 15 or 20 minutes, then do another coat. Leave it alone for a few hours after that, then rub off the toothpaste or liquid latex - some people won't touch it for a week, but I don't feel like that's necessary. 

Testors enamel paint markers are also wonderful for adding extra little bits of "battle damage." Dabbed a little white with the marker on a few spots and no one can tell the difference.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Wooooowww<br>

Now waiting for an AnOvOs kit to arrive (sooner or later). I already have a eFx bucket on the shelf and always wanted to mod it to hide the hideous gap on the frown... This project is giving me a good idea to upgrade it into one of this shock trooper!<br>

Following this!

• Like 1

Alright then. It really looks like I need to bump this CRL up on my todo list.

Luckily the Phasma CRL is on the back burner I think until the movie comes out. All the costume displays and clips we've seen contradict each other (thank you Ingrid).

I'll try to do a first pass and post it up before the end of the year.

-Eric

• Like 3

I plan to do this when my Anovos armor arrive. I'd love to help with the CRL as well, as I've been wanting to do this build as well. I've scoured high-res in-game pictures and while playing the game itself (on PC at full resolution and max settings). I put together a write-up (along with annotated pictures) and will send it to Darth Aloha. I used my ATA armor as a basis for measurements and referred to the CRLs of the ROTJ armor as well. Let's make this happen!

BTW I wouldn't base any work on the Black Series figure. That's from an ANH TK mold and of course won't have precise measurements.

Edited by Insidi0us1
  • Like 1

Hell yeah, the more the merrier. Feel free to post up some of the pictures you get, either here or in a separate thread. I could use the reference, and it would be much appreciated. 

Won't be long now before this is an established 501st costume and we start to see more people painting on those red stripes  :)

I agree, stay away from working from the figure. The game itself provides good enough reference.

Insidi0us1 sent me some good notes and marked up reference photos. I'll start a thread soon (this weekend most likely) and get writing before we all become consumed by the TFA monster.

This is a good thread to post reference images in the mean time if folks are inclined. 

-Eric

• Like 2

I can't promise anything before we get wrapped up in the TFA madness, because I'm in armor finishing mode, but I'll see what screen grabs I can get when I play next as well. Very exciting times around here indeed!

• Like 1

Did a little tinkering with the helmet on my day off.

--------------

There were some annoying gaps after trimming the ears down, but I was missing the grinder attachment on my Dremel. So I decided to fill the gaps with bondo instead. Also tried to touch up the screw holes, but I'm not that confident with bondo in general, so I'm gonna call it good right here. Gotta let this set overnight and sand it down by hand tomorrow. Should look like a proper ROTJ helmet after that bondo is hidden by some white paint!

A few more parts are on the way. Should have them by Tuesday. Still waiting to hear back from CFO about my kidney/butt.

This build is going to incorporate parts from so many different vendors.... 

MTK helmet,

CAP-W chest, shoulders, forearms, right bicep, shoulder straps, knee ammo, handplates, knee plate

AP back plate, 

ATA thermal detonator, shins, left bicep, 

FX abdomen/cod, belt,

MC thighs,

TM kidney/butt

It's a Frankenstein of sorts. I was originally going to do a second Death Trooper, but I changed my mind without much deliberation after I tried Battlefront... :laugh1:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 2

This is looking fantastic, nicely done!

I also want to see someone do the rebreather style helmet and air pack that they wear on Sullust :)

Yeah, if I had the money I would do that one as well. It looks sick. :)

Edited by T K
  • Like 1

Got some stuff from ATA and Scootch to keep me busy until TFA drops! Scootch surprised me with a few extra parts I didn't ask for, which will be great in case I mess up, and the rest will be kept for Death Trooper #2 further on down the road.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed