Reforming with a Sealing Iron

I have a junk set of ROTJ style armor (yes, it's Rubies) and I cut the butt plate from the kidney plate to make it ANH. I know it's a super huge challenge but it's Winter here and my Anovos order went in late...probably won't see it until Spring. So, with all this time on my hands, I'm going for it. Not for the 501st, it's for a buddy of mine who wants some armor but is super broke and I want to give it to him once I make it to be the best it can be. He'll flip out and smile wide if I pull this off.

Can anyone give me any advice from your own experience using a sealing iron to reform?

Obviously, I want to just get rid of the formed ridges that make it ROTJ style.

Thank you in advance. 

May the Force be with You.

Hi Scott! I'm on the FB page too where I saw your post about wanting to do this and I thought, cool man go for it!!

However, to see that you intend to pass it on to a buddy to live his dream too, that's super awesome man! I don't have the faintest idea on how to do what you're trying to do but I just wanted to say I hope it turns out good!