HOWTO: ukswrath's First Order Heavy Gunner (Flyye) Vest Modification

ukswrath

Thanks you for the kudos. To be honest there's already someone else making them, not to mention I've been having some trouble finding the correct front buckles. If something changes you'll be sure to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok then Tony, buckles. I've been in contact with all sorts of people to find the manufacturer of our elusive buckles and straps. The good news is that I've found them; one for the buckle and another for the strap. The problem lies in the fact that I'd have to purchase 1500 straps as a minimum order. I'm waiting for an email from the manufacturer to see if there ae any distributors that deal in smaller numbers. This pushes the cost up per unit but the overall cost will be cheaper for me!

The cost so far is reasonable but the numbers just don't add up. I'll end up forking out about £2000 up front for stuff that will grace by man cave drawers.

I'll post an update once I get my work email back (I've just moved post and my profile is being rebuilt). Fingers crossed for a result.

A.

Edited by Junglie Scout

Hey Andy, I was able to reach and regional sales manager here in the US who informed me that they only sell them in pack of 500 or more as you said. At that time he also informed me he was on his way to the factory in somewhere in Asia. I asked him if he could possibly send me some samples and he did. They were exactly like what is seen on the movie vest with one exception, they are about 1/3 smaller then the original buckles. I think the original buckles were blown up and 3D printed. I'm half tempted to have the same done to these. So that's were I'm at right now   

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

first off, Tony, this build thread is amazing! Many thanks for compiling this info.

Second, for anyone who is planning this build, I found a source for the Nifco slider buckles/slider straps in Japan.

They cost $3.77 a set. The straps are 120mm - too short - but I figure 2 straps together will be long enough.

I just ordered some, hopefully will get them in the next few weeks.

Link to online store: http://specialmaterial.jugemcart.com/?pid=1493760

l_1493760_0.jpg?20160426014522

• Like 2

Hi guys,

first off, Tony, this build thread is amazing! Many thanks for compiling this info.

Second, for anyone who is planning this build, I found a source for the Nifco slider buckles/slider straps in Japan.

They cost $3.77 a set. The straps are 120mm - too short - but I figure 2 straps together will be long enough.

I just ordered some, hopefully will get them in the next few weeks.

Link to online store: http://specialmaterial.jugemcart.com/?pid=1493760

l_1493760_0.jpg?20160426014522

Thanks for the props Simon. 

I was given a dozen or so of the SL20 by a Nifco sales rep. They're too small. At least 1/3 size smaller then what's used on the vest. For the moment, unless I send them to be 3D scanned and printed I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

Hola Tony,

I should be receiving Jim's TFA Backpack in the next couple weeks. Figured you might have the answer or an idea on how we should mount it to the vest. What do you think/suggest?

Albert Sanchez

F1SD: virimpact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hola Tony,

I should be receiving Jim's TFA Backpack in the next couple weeks. Figured you might have the answer or an idea on how we should mount it to the vest. What do you think/suggest?

Albert Sanchez

That's a good question, I bought one also. I'm still looking for clear enough pictures defining how it's mounted. Some believe it's mounted directly to the back of the yoke, I've always thought it was mounted via the unused upper tactical vest straps, though I could be way off base. 

IMG_6134b.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Using those unused straps. Guess we'll have to see when we receive the backpack. I'll be watching out for your tutorial...hehehe. I'm sure you'll post one!!!

Albert Sanchez

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Using those unused straps. Guess we'll have to see when we receive the backpack. I'll be watching out for your tutorial...hehehe. I'm sure you'll post one!!!

Albert Sanchez

Count on it  :duim:

• Like 1

I was given a dozen or so of the SL20 by a Nifco sales rep. They're too small. At least 1/3 size smaller then what's used on the vest. For the moment, unless I send them to be 3D scanned and printed I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

Ok, thanks for the heads-up Tony!

So I started work on my vest yesterday. I re-watched TFA and grabbed a few screenshots.

See how the upper part of the vest (which we add using the inner part of the Flyye vest) appears narrower than the main body of the Flyye vest?

27241499474_efdbe85993_o.jpg

Also visible here to a lesser extent, where the lower part appears wider than the upper:

27576826210_f5b3c0c9b9_o.jpg

Looking at the back, it looks as though the 50mm webbing is shorter. The 50mm webbing appears to stop at the point where the 2 over-the-shoulder straps cross on the back. See here:

27778616171_613f5af617_o.jpg

And here:

27778616231_d168251e0a_o.jpg

It also looks as if there is some support at the X. I wonder if there is extra material here, or if the X is stitched together to give more support??

27778616201_5fe1b9a971_o.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the picture updates, details like this I didn't have access to at build time. This also is perfect example of how the Hot Toys vest, other builders like to refer to, is incorrect.

Thanks again .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately I don't know of any stores that carry that specific mat material any longer. I believe Wyatt's FOTK belt material is the same, you'll have to ask him if he sells it or where he buys it from.

• 1 year later...

So a source for proper front rubber straps and buckles that go up the chest was never found?  These are the parts im missing on my vest from Diversity Props and he's apparently gone awol and have had to file a claim as it's been almost 6 months with no straps.  He showed them to me and promised to send them, never happened so I got an incomplete vest kit.

6 hours ago, PanzerKraken said:

So a source for proper front rubber straps and buckles that go up the chest was never found?  These are the parts im missing on my vest from Diversity Props and he's apparently gone awol and have had to file a claim as it's been almost 6 months with no straps.  He showed them to me and promised to send them, never happened so I got an incomplete vest kit.

I never found them even after scouring UK websites but then again this was a few years ago when I made this thread. I'm sure someone has the correct items by now. If you have specific detail and where to buy them please let me know and I'll update the thread.