HOWTO: ukswrath's First Order Heavy Gunner (Flyye) Vest Modification

ukswrath

Looking at your thread, good work.

Time to figure mine out.

Looks like you used drop down TK ammo boxes?

When looking at them in person the boxes seem to small for the vest. an Upgrade might just be needed on mine.

Thanks.

Yes on the ammo boxes, the inner box size. The outer are too big in relation to the clip pouches.

Thanks Daniel.

Recently released HGT pic from the movie however show the vest connections on the toy are inaccurate, at least in the front. In light of this new information I'm afraid the rear connections may be the same. I'm hoping there might be screen or behind the scene pictures floating around. If anyone has those could you please post those.

Thanks

Gents,

The slide straps you're looking for are from the RAF MK15 Passenger Helmet.

RAF_MK15_1.jpgoriginal_zpsqvadrfc2.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to work in place where these are maintained, unfortunately they won't let ME have any!!!! I'll see if I can find out the NATO Stock Number and throw it through ISO Parts, that should give us a manufacturer/distributer. At the end of the day, someone makes them!!

Gents,

The slide straps you're looking for are from the RAF MK15 Passenger Helmet.

I'm fortunate enough to work in place where these are maintained, unfortunately they won't let ME have any!!!! I'll see if I can find out the NATO Stock Number and throw it through ISO Parts, that should give us a manufacturer/distributer. At the end of the day, someone makes them!!

Hey Andy thanks for the info. If you can find a place to purchase these and a item # I can add them to the Materials list.

Vest modification

10a. Shoulder harness

Cut and sew in floor runner material to be used for upper shoulder harness. Cut and sew in new nylon webbing to be used for shoulder harness anchor.

Cut two 2" x 2' sections of floor runner material. 

IMG_5446.jpg

Now cut two 1-3/8" x 2' sections

IMG_5445-crop.jpg

Place the 2" strips through the vest 2" buckle rib side down

IMG_5451.jpg

Place the 1-3/8" sections on top of the 2" sections, this time ribbed side up. Sew the three sections at the red line

IMG_5452b.jpg

After sewing

IMG_5453.jpgIMG_5455.jpgIMG_5455.jpg

Next up, buckle and belt preparation...

17. Buckle and belt preparation 

I was fortunate enough to purchase the buckle kit only from Chris Hale on to First Order FB page. Chris is selling the entire vest complete.

This is what I purchased:

1" x 10" rubber belt (x2)

1" resin slider (x4)

Resin Belt/buckle lock (x2)

Resin Buckles (x2)

IMG_5275.jpg

First order of business, modify the belt.

Remove the last six teeth section (approximately 1") at the square end of the belt (the belt is too long). Remove the last (7th) tooth leaving the base intact.

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5283b-cropc.jpg

On two of the sliders remove 1/3 as shown.

IMG_5278b.jpg

On the opposite side of the slider cut out the section as shown. This area will be glued to the end of the belt.

IMG_5284b.jpg

Round the edges of the remaining slider then using E6000 glue to the end of the belt.

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_5287b.jpg

Regarding the buckles. Remove areas and round corners as indicated.

IMG_5281b.jpg

On each side of the buckle drill a 1/8" hole for the mounting rivet.

IMG_5302.jpgIMG_5304.jpgIMG_5305.jpg

Preparing components for painting. Sand, clean and apply adhesion promoter.

IMG_5306.jpgIMG_5307.jpg

Using matte or flat black, spray pant components. Let dry.

IMG_5311.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

Back to section 10b shoulder harness assembly....

10b Shoulder harness cont...

Installing buckle, belt, lock and sliders.

Place buckle at the end of the floor mat material nearest the vest connection buckle. Using a sharpie or other mark shoulder strap (ribbed side up)

IMG_5457.jpgIMG_5459.jpg

Using a leather punch tool or other crate a 1/8" hole through both layers of material.

IMG_5460.jpgIMG_5461.jpg

Rivet Buckle to both layers of floor mat material using 1/8" x 1/4" rivets. Use flat (rivet) washers on the back to keep rivets from pulling through floor mat material.

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5481.jpg

Remove last tooth and taper belt at opposite end of squared edge trimmed earlier.

IMG_5470b.jpg

Assembly belt in buckle. Insert lock

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

Slide all components forward in buckle towards vest.

IMG_5473b.jpgIMG_5475.jpg

Drill 1/8" hole through belt at pre-existing belt flat section which resides just outside of the buckle. Drill through the belt and both layers of floor mat material. I'll be place a rivet here to hold the belt and lock in the buckle. The river will be covered later with belt straps.

IMG_5476c.jpgIMG_5477.jpg

Install rivet. 

IMG_5479.jpgIMG_5480.jpg

Install 1" black nylon webbing belt retaining straps. These are used to give the illusion the belt is being belt against the shoulder straps (floor mat material). They will be sewn to the 2" floor mat material. 

IMG_5482.jpgIMG_5483b.jpgIMG_5483.jpg

Using 1" nylon webbing weave a 12" section through a slider and belt end as follows.

IMG_5492.jpgIMG_5493.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

Sew the ends leaving the slider to the floor mat material.

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

Section finished

IMG_5500.jpgIMG_5499.jpg

To be cont... on hold awaiting additional HGT images

• Like 1

15a. Side pouch cont...

While waiting for final details to arrive I went ahead and installed the two side pouches.

Select location. Punch 1/8" hole where mounting screws will be inserted. Apply glue on back side. Install.

IMG_5333-crop.jpgIMG_5334-crop.jpgIMG_5337-crop.jpgIMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5340.jpgIMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5341.jpgIMG_5345b.jpg

• Like 2

The NSN (Nato Stock Numbers) for the strap and ratchet are as follows:

Earshell Tensioning Strap: 22C 5624201

Ratchet Body: 22C 8339610

ISO Parts can identify the the strap but not the ratchet body. I tried to get a quote for the strap but I would've had to have a minimum order of $300 (I can ill afford that) and I guess thats a lot of straps and essentially not much use without the ratchet body.

I'll keep looking and try to find the manufacturers through other means. The numbers are good ones if anyone has access to military stores supply chains!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Andy your assistance is much appreciated.

How many straps and ratchets are in that order of $300. Also, do you have any reference pics we can see? 

For everyone - I'm still looking for accurate movie stills or other images of the connection points at the top of the shoulder, back of shoulder, and lower back assembly. **No toy pictures please, I do not believe they are screen accurate.

Thanks

• Like 1

I didn't get that far, you have to say how many you want and a target price and it got a bit complicated. Unfortunately I didn't really have time to play with the site too much, I'll have a go on friday afternoon when I'll get more time.

I'm lucky in that a friend has managed to get 2 straps and 2 ratchet bodys for me and I'll pick them up tomorrow. If thery're still in the packet then I can identify the manufacturer and try and contact them directly. Either way I'll take hi res shots of them and post them up.

Edited by Junglie Scout

I didn't get that far, you have to say how many you want and a target price and it got a bit complicated. Unfortunately I didn't really have time to play with the site too much, I'll have a go on friday afternoon when I'll get more time.

I'm lucky in that a friend has managed to get 2 straps and 2 ratchet bodys for me and I'll pick them up tomorrow. If thery're still in the packet then I can identify the manufacturer and try and contact them directly. Either way I'll take hi res shots of them and post them up.

Excellent, thanks Andy