Another First Time E-11 Build

Torin

Alright.... This is going to be my first of hopefully many builds and build threads! I am new and have been skulking around for the last month or so here on FISD. I just purchased this second hand 2014 DVH E-11 blaster(Older Phoenix kit?) and a new set of AM 2.0 armor. I am still gathering my supplies for the armor sooooo.....I thought I would go ahead and start on this build.

Tonight I started by taking all the resin pieces and trimming all the excess resin around and washing them in the kitchen sink so to have a nice clean surface to paint/glue to. I also took the original sterling stock to work that the kit came with and torched off the left over receiver piece. I am wondering if anyone has tried aluminum brazing the original stock to the aluminum tube before? I am thinking of purchasing some aluminum brazing material and giving this a go unless this has already been tried and failed...

If it came with the aluminium tube, I'd say its a DVH (version about 3), probably the first version sold by Dday, but essentially still the DVH molds. Derek will no doubt correct me. Check out my build in my signature below, basically the same parts you have.

I just used epoxy and locating 'pins' to secure my real folding stock. No idea about aluminium brazing, sorry.

Good luck. Will be watching...

Pretty sure I read that steel doesn't like to braze to aluminum, hence Dday's steel receivers. What others have done is (carefully!) use a hammer and thin nail (or anything strong and thin enough) to tap out the little rods in the pivots holding the stock's arms to the cut piece of receiver. Then you can use a plastic or metal tube to replicate the bar it swivels upon and connect that to your receiver (Aluminum-to-Aluminum braze or pegs and glue). I have some 2014 DVH parts too, they'll treat you well! (Mine had lots of big air bubbles/pockets even, I hope yours doesn't)

Thanks for the information Scott and Ian! I like your e-11 build thread Ian and will probably reference it during my build a lot :) . The front sight on my kit looks about like yours did....

OK...well I have given it some thought...and I think I have narrowed it down to two options.

1. I have come up with and idea of welding a small threaded rod to the inside of the stocks swivel piece. I will then drill a new hole in the receiver where I can then epoxy/jb weld/ other form of adhesive and screw it down on the inside with a nut or washer (Easier and lazy way...).

2. My other option is to like I think Scott was saying to fabricate a new swivel out of aluminum and melting brazing that to the aluminum receiver.

3. ....mill out a steel receiver... (I want to do a full steel sterling in the near future, but not today)

I think I am going to give option #2 a shot first. I am going to have to go shopping for a piece of aluminum rod for the donor. Drill it out then cut to fit. I am holding off on building much else until I figure out how I want to attach the stock....because if I weld I don't want to melt the resin as aluminum transfers heat fast!  ;)

Thanks again troopers! :duim:

Thanks for the information Scott and Ian! I like your e-11 build thread Ian and will probably reference it during my build a lot :) . The front sight on my kit looks about like yours did....

OK...well I have given it some thought...and I think I have narrowed it down to two options.

1. I have come up with and idea of welding a small threaded rod to the inside of the stocks swivel piece. I will then drill a new hole in the receiver where I can then epoxy/jb weld/ other form of adhesive and screw it down on the inside with a nut or washer (Easier and lazy way...).

2. My other option is to like I think Scott was saying to fabricate a new swivel out of aluminum and melting brazing that to the aluminum receiver.

3. ....mill out a steel receiver... (I want to do a full steel sterling in the near future, but not today)

I think I am going to give option #2 a shot first. I am going to have to go shopping for a piece of aluminum rod for the donor. Drill it out then cut to fit. I am holding off on building much else until I figure out how I want to attach the stock....because if I weld I don't want to melt the resin as aluminum transfers heat fast! ;)

Thanks again troopers! :duim:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ok, so I made up a rough picture tonight on MS Paint of my idea for the replacement Stock Swivel piece. It will be made from 5/8 Aluminum Rod. Drilled out to accept the original pins and rivets. I will make some steel bushings to replace the steel that originally protrudes from the side of the swivel piece. The bushings will be floating and held in place by the rivets when pinned. That will give it more durability than having the stock pivot on aluminum.

--------

Ordering some aluminum rod off the interwebs. Will be waiting for the materials to arrive...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed