MR CE helmet overhaul

I wanted to use the same color for the tube stripes that Mike used when he painted his helmet, but I could not find it at my local hobby shops, so I ordered some from a website today. I went ahead and made the pencil lines on the helmet so that when the paint arrives I'll be ready.

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to use the same color for the tube stripes that Mike used when he painted his helmet, but I could not find it at my local hobby shops, so I ordered some from a website today. I went ahead and made the pencil lines on the helmet so that when the paint arrives I'll be ready

It'd have been much easier to use my tube stripe decals...I sell them on Ebay really really really cheap...I think $2.00.

They're the absolute correct color too.

I'm impressed though at your perfect stripe-lines! Nice work!

It'd have been much easier to use my tube stripe decals...I sell them on Ebay really really really cheap...I think $2.00.

They're the absolute correct color too.

I'm impressed though at your perfect stripe-lines! Nice work!

I actually did buy some, but I just thought that since I had painted everything else, that I really should try to paint the stripes too. But, if I ever do this again(and I might :) ) I will definitely use decals because my hands aren't as steady as they used to be!

how do I post photos?

There may be a better or faster way, but what I do is first transfer my photos from my camera to my Pictures file in my computer. There I change the size and/or crop the photos. then I load them up to Photobucket. After that I click on IMG code for the picture I want to post then right click and paste it in the thread.

mrce7.jpg

See if this works. This is where I am as of tonight. The Hovis are temp until Stompers arrive. I am putting in Bubble lenses as this will be an ANH hero. The ears are from John and Ive got a full set of decals coming from Mark (Happy Dance).

The cap is perm bonded with epoxy to the back and seamless. Ive primed, sanded, primed, sanded etc ad nauseum. The paint on there right now is about six coats of Krylon Prmer sanded down with 1000 grit. Im going to use Krylon Fusion White this week and hopefully my decals will be here soon. Im waiting on knee pads from the UK right now and I still need brow trim but thats it. Im going to fully pimp this hero with pads. speakers and fans.

Don, that's looking awesome man. The latest on my ears is that a second pair is being mailed to me because apparently something happened to the first. So after waiting a month now I have to wait a few weeks more :angry: What can I do? But those ears make a difference don't they?

I will start painting the tube stripes today and I've ordered some frown mesh too, so it's slowly but surely coming along.

Don, that's looking awesome man. The latest on my ears is that a second pair is being mailed to me because apparently something happened to the first. So after waiting a month now I have to wait a few weeks more :angry: What can I do? But those ears make a difference don't they?

I will start painting the tube stripes today and I've ordered some frown mesh too, so it's slowly but surely coming along.

That stinks. Hopefully they will pay for better shipping for making you wait so long.

Those ears make a world of difference. :duim:

Yeah, they really do. I'm planning on doing the MR CE ear mod on mine (rather than ordering new ones).

I can't wait to start my mods!

It will be 2 weeks from now most likely... but I will be sure and start a thread and post pics... though, hopefully, it will be basically this same thing again. :D

I've compiled a complete list (I think) of what all I'm planning on doing, based on what Luis has done, and uploaded it. You can download it here. If you see anything that's missing, or out of order, let me know and I'll add it.

Here's the link to the PDF.

I've compiled a complete list (I think) of what all I'm planning on doing, based on what Luis has done, and uploaded it. You can download it here. If you see anything that's missing, or out of order, let me know and I'll add it.

Here's the link to the PDF.

Looks like you've got it in order Noel. But I was thinking that since you are going to modify and reuse the original ears you may be able to skip some steps. I think once you have modified them they can be put back in the exact same place so you might not need to fill in the space behind them. This also means that you may not need to completely disassemble the helmet either. I took mine apart only because I specifically wanted to use other ears and not the original ones. And after removing them you can see that big gap. Also, I read in another thread that someone modified the brow without taking the cap off. they taped the area underneath and carefully cut away at the brow.

Just something to think about. Let us know how it goes. Painted my ears today, so I should be totally done in the next few days. I will post photos of my modified CE and an unmodified one side by side.

Looks like you've got it in order Noel. But I was thinking that since you are going to modify and reuse the original ears you may be able to skip some steps. I think once you have modified them they can be put back in the exact same place so you might not need to fill in the space behind them. This also means that you may not need to completely disassemble the helmet either. I took mine apart only because I specifically wanted to use other ears and not the original ones. And after removing them you can see that big gap. Also, I read in another thread that someone modified the brow without taking the cap off. they taped the area underneath and carefully cut away at the brow.

Just something to think about. Let us know how it goes. Painted my ears today, so I should be totally done in the next few days. I will post photos of my modified CE and an unmodified one side by side.

Haha... wow... global consciousness or something, I was literally JUST wondering about this very thing!

Yes, if I could save those steps then that would be great... I will try it this way first then when I start and I'll post in my own thread to let everyone know how it goes. :)

I will still sand the whole thing, and end up repainting it all don't you think? I mean the fact I'm going to fill in the gaps is part of that.

Thanks Luis!