MR CE helmet overhaul

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Ā 

Where is everyone getting their brow trim?....mine was destroyed during the removal process. (Tried to save it, but

ripped)

Ā 

Also, how to I remove the residue (rubber) left from the brow trim?

Question:

Ā 

Where is everyone getting their brow trim?....mine was destroyed during the removal process. (Tried to save it, but

ripped)

Ā 

Also, how to I remove the residue (rubber) left from the brow trim?

Ā 

Ā 

I ordered mine from McMaster-Carr item#8507K41. They ship pretty fast, got mine the other day. I don't know what modification you have done (if any) to you're brow, but I'm going to have to alter my trim to fit. I will post pics soon.

Ā 

When I removed the brow on mine most of the residue came off. What was left I removed with some GOO be Gone. Didn't take it all off though. Then I sanded the rest off completely.

Well, I've ordered my MR CE and am now anxiously awaiting arrival!

Ā 

I want to thank you Luis for a GREAT tutorial here!

I'm still deciding what all I'm going to do to mine right out of the gate... since I have a good FX bucket right now I can spare the time it takes to do this right and be very proud of it. But, of course, I'm also anxious to just start trooping in it. :)

Ā 

So, a couple of questions:

Ā 

1) What are the minimum things you need to do to make the MR troop / 501st worthy? From what I gather they are... a) swap out the lenses... B) fill in the "gap"... c) fix the teeth (??) d) put the screws in the ears correctly.

Ā 

That right?

Things I missed? Things you don't have to do?

Ā 

Ā 

2) What is the "Squadron Putty" that Don mentioned and where do I get it?

Ā 

Thanks again guys... this is a great thread and I hope to post pics of mine on here in a month or so!

Ā 

EDIT: You can ignore those questions about the minimum... I just went back through the entire thread and really this isn't that much to do to make it this good. I think I'll just plan on doing it all.

Thanks Noel. The putty is called MMD White Putty made by Squadron Products. I got mine at a hobby shop. It dries pretty fast and is easy to sand. It shrinks a little bit, so like when I removed the ears it took three coats of putty to completely and smoothly cover the gap.

I think my ears arrived today. (giddy) Its back to work. I plan on doing this one TD... I am going to scuff the heck out of it. Should look pretty sweet.

Tried something new today. I needed to attach the cap to the helmet and fill in the gap to make cap and look like one piece. I purchased some of that 'as seen on TV' instant epoxy at Target and figured this would be a good experiment. The putty comes in clear plastic tube and comes out like a giant green on the outside white on the inside tootsie roll. You cut off a section and then kneed it till it becomes one color. I then placed it in teh male/female grooves on the top of the helmet and inside of the Cap and attached them. After that set up I used some more of the epoxy putty to fill in the to fill in the gap between dome and helmet and create that seamless bond. Wetting your fingers helps to work it in and you have about 20 minutes before it starts to kick. I also used the epoxy to reinforce some of the stress points on the lid. In the morning Im going to start priming. Still waiting on my ears and and need some brow trim but this is really starting to look up :)

Frown/tears/traps = Testors #1138 Grey

Prob just about any satin or semi gloss black

Ā 

Ā 

what paint did you use for the vocoder, and the frown/tears? I am to the stage where i need to buy paints. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would guess it's more important to replace the lenses before the hovis, correct? Do the hovis NEED to be replaced... or can that wait until I have extra $20 to get Stomper's... and do his work with the MR?

Ā 

(I'm going to be posting a lot of questions on here I think)

When I got both neck and brow trims I test fitted them, and as I figured, I had to modify them. This is what I did:

Ā 

For the neck trim I VERY carefully used a razor blade and removed half of the trim as shown in the photos. I did this because even though the rubber was soft it seemed too thick to bend around some of the contours, especially near the vocoder. Once I did that I used some super glue gel to glue it in place. Probably didn't have to, but I wanted it to be super secure. As you can see I also cut a small piece to put below the vocoder. I think it looks good.

Ā 

rg102gasket.jpg

Ā 

You will end up with this:

IMG_7326.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_7332.jpg

Ā 

IMG_7333.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Since I grinded the brow up more there wasn't a nice even edge all the way around anymore. So, again, I VERY carefully cut part of the trim so I was left with an L shape. Now when I'm ready to put it on the helmet I'll just put some glue on the bottom edge and it will still look as if it's going under the lid(see photo).

Ā 

Ā 

rg101gasket.jpg

Ā 

IMG_7327.jpg

Ā 

Here are some photos with the neck trim, Stomper's aerators, and new eye lenses installed. The brow trim is only in place with some tape. I'm waiting to get the ears before I permanently install it in place and apply the tube stripes decals.

Ā 

Ā 

IMG_7342.jpg

Ā 

58.jpg

Ā 

57.jpg

Ā 

55.jpg

Thanks so much guys. I'm very pleased with the way it's coming out.

Ā 

This is all that's left to do:

Ā 

Finish painting details

Ears

Tube stripes

Attach brow trim

Frown mesh

Padding for inside helmet. Still have original foam pieces I might reuse.

Ā 

Ā 

I had a question: I want to make my helmet as accurate as possible, so should I paint the tips of the aerators or is it ok to leave them as they are?

don't mean to hijack the thread but just thought i'd show the interior for my MR lid.

I found a cheap snowbarding helmet and ripped out the guts.

Fits me like a (very comfortable) glove now.

Ā 

P5314021.gif

Ā 

P5314022.gif

Ā 

Just needs to have proper lens', electronics and some visual greeblies to create an authentic sci-fi vibe then i'm pretty much done with it.

Ā 

Respect

P.

don't mean to hijack the thread but just thought i'd show the interior for my MR lid.

I found a cheap snowbarding helmet and ripped out the guts.

Fits me like a (very comfortable) glove now.

Ā 

P5314021.gif

Ā 

P5314022.gif

Ā 

Just needs to have proper lens', electronics and some visual greeblies to create an authentic sci-fi vibe then i'm pretty much done with it.

Ā 

Respect

P.

Ā 

Wow..awesome.Do you habe a pic of this helmet?What did you paid for it?

Wow Mark, you'r helmet looks great.

Ā 

Yes, those are Stomper's Hovi's. When I removed the ones that came with the helmet there was a little rim still left just enough for Stomper's to fit. I just installed them with the supplied washer and nut. I've added photos for you:

Ā 

IMG_7355.jpg

Ā 

IMG_7357.jpg

After

IMG_7077.jpg

Was the helmet assembled when you trimmed the brow? Or did you just "set it up" to gauge the area and then trim it separated?

I got around to painting the lines in the tear drops and on the back...

Ā 

Ā 

63.jpg

Ā 

62.jpg

Ā 

64.jpg

Ā 

Nice work on the decals!....they turned out great. B)

Ā 

If anyone is interested in using thermally-printed vinyl decals, you

can order them from me on Ebay...

Ā 

Decals!

Hope it can help someone with their modding work.

Ā 

-m