Possible Alternative ANH Holster.

Amongst all this TFA stuff, I still love watching and scrutinizing this good old Original Trilogy, even more now that I can watch it in its Despecialized Edition :). So let us rest our weary minds from TFA the time of this short thread.

Most of us have heard at least once of the infamous "Simon's Holster" which has a different profile and is fastened differently onto the belt than the classic ANH holster. This holster is the one fastened onto the belt of the original armor set that belongs to Simon from RS Props. Hence the name "Simon's Holster".

Simon's Holster:

med_gallery_12157_59_85444.jpg

The same on screen:

22477329253_4c997bc1d9_b.jpg

However, this holster is not unique on screen as I thought it was. Indeed, there is at least one twin of it, possibly two, and both appear during the same scene in ANH. Shortly after Leia, Luke and Han got out of the trash compactor and made their way back to the Millenium Falcon, they notice it is guarded by five stormtroopers.

I think you already figured that two of them have this "Alternative holster" I am talking about. Respectively, the second and the fifth from the left:

23109820611_21c1980525_b.jpg

- Let's take a look at the fifth from the left first as it might just be Simon's Holster (and because being the fifth in something, he's certainly more interesting than most :D).

23084875152_7ba5546e6f_b.jpg

As I see it, the two fastening straps are overlapping the top of the belt with the straps going on the inside, which when you think about it, is matching the way "Simon's Holster" is fastened.

Here's a diagram showing the conversion:

22706289639_c6e22817da_b.jpg

Notice the gap between the top of the holster and the bottom of the belt present on "Simon's holster" which then disappears when you loop it around the belt making a perfect match with the Alternative #1 setup.

- Now onto the second stormtrooper from the left.

23109837701_da1356a41e_b.jpg

This holster seems to overlap the top of the belt too, but with the straps traveling on the outside of the belt. Being on screen in the same scene than the previous alternative holster, we can attest that this one is definitely a second exemplary of this kind of holster.

After we can wonder why these holsters are fastened to the belt in a such different way? Maybe it's an attempt of the prop guys to make it stronger so the holster can actually house a real Sterling without getting ripped off after few minutes.

Now I know it's only two (possibly three) holsters among thirty others, but I was surprised to see Simon's Holster isn't unique as I believed it and wanted to share it because I did not read anything about it before.

I hope you enjoyed the read and found it interesting. Even though when i see how people are already so narrow minded about the number of rivets between the Stunt and Hero holsters, I hope I won't hurt too much feeling by trying to introduce a new holster shape with two different fastening ways!

- T5H.

• Like 5

we already discussed this at length several years ago.

This is a costume mistake, just like mr. no stripes.  I personally think that this design is not in line with a screen accurate representation.

We have seen folded holsters, holsters with broken straps.  I personally think that while this holster does indeed exist in ANH, it's the ONLY ONE.

I vote no on this like I did over 2 years ago.  The older threads were damaged when one of our members removed the photos, and the mockup he presented on this exact same idea.  it's like I answered the thread in the past, and here we go again with another thread.

so how many people have been approved EIB with no tubestripes?

and the folded ESB holster, where the loops are gathered together?

I have a great idea. why don't we add 2 drop boxes on one side of the belt, and one on one side.

we can start a new drop box thread...  3 drop boxes in ESB.  (it's Screen accurate.)

a duct tape thread,  a chipped sniper knee thread...  you know the drill.

NOT!

:peace:

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

WOW. Just wow. I have to admit that I haven't seen this. I still learn new things from a movie I have watched far too many times! This is what the FISD is about! *alongside trooping,  building armour and helping others of course)

Thank you all who took the time to read this :).

The bottom looks flat on the screen caps, but a lazy W on your diagram. Am I missing something?

Nop, I just did that to "crop" the holster, just like the sides of the belt :P.

we already discussed this at length several years ago.

This is a costume mistake, just like mr. no stripes.  I personally think that this design is not in line with a screen accurate representation.

We have seen folded holsters, holsters with broken straps.  I personally think that while this holster does indeed exist in ANH, it's the ONLY ONE.

I vote no on this like I did over 2 years ago.  The older threads were damaged when one of our members removed the photos, and the mockup he presented on this exact same idea.  it's like I answered the thread in the past, and here we go again with another thread.

so how many people have been approved EIB with no tubestripes?

and the folded ESB holster, where the loops are gathered together?

I have a great idea. why don't we add 2 drop boxes on one side of the belt, and one on one side.

we can start a new drop box thread...  3 drop boxes in ESB.  (it's Screen accurate.)

a duct tape thread,  a chipped sniper knee thread...  you know the drill.

NOT!

:peace:

You're missing my point Vern.

Not once in this thread I ask for a CRL update as I consider this holster thing just like the two handplate styles. No need to write it in the CRL. It's just a particularity some SW fans like to be aware of.

I think you have the connection of the second holster wrong. It looks as though it is simply looped onto the belt as it was supposed to be worm on the Imperial Fleet Troopers belt

Now that you mention it, I think you're correct. It's stupid but i didn't even think about that possibility.