Free 3D printed parts for E11 builds

Thrawn's guard

Having successfully completed my DoopyDoos E11 blaster build I have been looking back at my build thread and note that there were a few items that I modelled and printed off on a 3D printer.

In the spirit of trooper helping trooper I will be making all of these 3D models, as listed below, available to download so that anyone can print them off, or have them printed off, if they so wish for their own build. I will make the wings3D file available shortly.

1)      Replacement trigger (I accidentally broke my resin trigger as shown in my build thread). With a little sanding after printing the trigger looks and works exactly like the original resin cast trigger.

2)      A front sight housing.

3)      The folding stock cube detail.

4)      Inner bolt slot extension (basically used to make the inner bolt look the correct diameter.

EDIT 1 - .stl format download links added.

EDIT 2 - .stl and Wingd 3D files added for the power cylinders (Further files in both formats to follow for the individual parts)

Trigger 3D file in .stl format

https://app.box.com/s/svkcik6yf0000p92a77avioesjlqvhnm

Front sight housing 3D file in .stl format

https://app.box.com/s/1k3usljnmde2mog6obs1p84u5rek3kvn

Folding stock cube detail 3D file in .stl format

https://app.box.com/s/v5374ni775r8oizx9f8oz7irbmpjefyf

Inner bolt slot extension 3D file in .stl format

https://app.box.com/s/vgib5dbeao6db6rs745rwm5jg018g0hw

1 – Replacement trigger

qr152XD.jpg

2 – A front sight housing

HjQtVzz.jpg

3 – The folding stock cube detail

GZExL21.jpg

4 - Inner bolt slot extension

2BTbu2t.jpg

During the course of my build I also modelled a set of power cylinders. I scratch built my power cylinders from a number of materials however before I started to cut and carve I thought that producing a model would provide me with a visual check and to also allow me to take measurements as and when needed.

I did not put the model for the power cylinders together with 3D printing in mind as I envisaged that this may be a difficulty item to print without substantial support in any event I wanted to build as much as I could in metal therefore I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to print but I have found it most useful for reference.

I will shortly also be able to release the 3D models for all to refer to, use, edit and even try to print from if they wish.

I will have a couple of versions of the model as noted below: -

Version 1 - All components combined in to a single model.

Version 2 - The model is separated in to the individual components allowing people to use and/or edit as they wish.

Power cylinder version 1 3D file in .stl format

https://app.box.com/s/wtl8s7rz7n96iontfglpz5thlo1b7k68

Power cylinder version 1 3D file in Wings3D format

https://app.box.com/s/zpr0jcbd2ddxdjmizc9uqyd1vpkcqdtx

The 3D models were created the in a 3D modelling package called Wings3D which is completely free software available to download. If anyone is interested the software can be downloaded from the following site: -

http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=84

I can provide the data files for the model in Wings3d format however other formats including .stl which seems to be universal for all the 3D software that I have come across are also available.

I include below a render of the latest 3D model so that you can see what is included and how it looks together.

4KmojDC.jpg

• Like 3

How much for the sight!?!? I left my sight unfinished hoping to add it later! I was so dreading trying to hand make that! That is if you are willing to sell them made as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Dougal

Awesome job, Chris, and thanks for sharing these!  I am currently helping someone build a DD, and like Carl I am sure he would LOVE to have one of those sweet front sight housings.... however.. our general knowledge of computers/3D printers collectively would fit on a postage stamp.  If you or someone here across the pond could make one, I am MORE than happy to purchase it.  I'll be following this thread for sure!

• Like 1

I've been doing this for my build too.  I think that the next leap in blaster builds will come from 3D printing some of the parts and will be especially helpful on pipe builds.

I found the cube the trickiest part so far, trying to get the chamfering right.  I've not attempted the cylinders yet, I might just use yours as they look pretty good.  That said learning to model is proving quite fun.  So far I have the sight block, sight pin and the cube. 

Might have to try wings 3D too, looks a bit more advanced than 123D Design.

Good work.

I have now added the download links for the 3D models for the trigger, front sight housing,folding stock cube detail and the inner bolt slot extension in .stl format (The format generally used for 3D printers).

A link for the wings3D format files will be added soon so that anyone with the software can open up the model to view, measure from, amend etc.

I will also provide .stl and wings3D format files for the power cylinders once I have double checked that I have the correct files to hand.

• Like 2

@ Carl (Dougal), Joseph (justjoseph63), Scott (Charlesnarles) and David (=Sv3=) I wasn’t thinking of trying to make any money on these models it was more a case of looking to help as many other members of the FISD as possible.

If you are struggling to find someone to print off any of these models I don’t have a problem printing some off myself and posting them on.

I don’t know much about the cost of international postage, especially on small items such as these, however assuming that the costs are not too much I would be happy to just post them on and cover the postage myself.

@ Chris (themaninthesuitcase) the same applies to you however rightly or wrongly I understand that you either have a 3D printer or have access to one so are more interested in the models themselves.

PM me if required guys.

I will ask around and see if I now anyone that owns a 3D printer. Otherwise expect a pm and if you use PayPal I don't mind paying for shipping and what ever is needed. I am not asking for you to spend money out of pocket! Thank you so much for your work. That sight piece is going to be a perfect addition to my e-11.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be using shapeaways I think. It's an online service who offer a range of materials but generally you'll get better results than you would from most home FDM printers. Still not worked out which material I need to use but it's going to be cheaper than buying a printer, though slower and harder to iterate.

• Like 2

Just a quick update guys.

I have been playing about with printing a few front sight housings and my printer is struggling a little to print the model with the horizontal hole.

The issue here is that because the top of the hole is so close to the top of the housing the top layer of plastic tends to have some small holes. Looking back at my build thread, (page 7), I had a similar issue at the time so found the easiest option was to just fill any minor holes in the top with a small piece of green stuff (See photo below). Once painted this is not visible.

The other option would be to make the horizontal hole a smaller diameter however this is sized to accommodate a grub screw. A better 3D printer may not have a problem with this anyway.

mSH3VEq.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Chris! I used both the front sight housing and the inner bolt extension files, and with shipping from Shapeways, it comes to less than $10.

Shapeways did "modify" the front sight housing slightly, because the system felt the layer was too thin above the set screw. The minor bit they added can be shaved back off later, though I don't think anyone would notice it without knowing what to look for.

My bucket is off to you, sir.  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My next door neighbor just got a 3D printer she's super proud of, and keeps asking me if there is anything I want her to print for me. I'll have to see how these power cylinders come out! Then they'll get a home on my Rubies E11 blaster. :) I'll post pics if it comes out well!

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...