ANOVOS ANH Belt Problem

Hi all:

As the discussions wage over in the main ANOVOS Preorder thread, that topic is shifting continuously. Rather than continue to clutter up that thread, I thought it might be wise to capture this issue as its own thread, so that we as a community can discuss alternatives.

I'm sure there will be more issues with the ANOVOS armor to consider as more is revealed, but with the potential of hundreds or thousands of new 501st recruits showing up in coming months, it might be helpful for us to continue to track this.

So, to state the problem in a nutshell, here is the ANOVOS belt and holster:

11.jpg

The issue here is that the entire ANOVOS ANH armor is based on the ANH Stunt version, but ANOVOS has chosen to go with a Hero type mount. That is, four rivets in the belt to secure the holster, instead of just two. This is a barrier to 501st admission, because the CRL clearly states the following:

• Holster is made of black leather or leather-like material.
  • Holster is worn on left side of belt and is attached via two leather or leather-like material straps to the belt from behind instead of front.
    • No loops cover the outside of the belt.
  • The holster is affixed with only two fasteners at the bottom (one per strap).
    • The fasteners may be rivets, snaps, or Chicago screws. 

ANOVOS has responded to this concern with the following:

...the four rivet attachment is meant to make the holster sturdier, as two won't cut it (and past safety testing) -- if the end-user wants to modify after the fact, that's completely up to them.

Not much help.

So what are our options? Replacement, removal of the two offending rivets, are there any other things we should keep in mind about this?

As we receive our armor, I hope we can post our own solutions here as well.

Thanks,

Bill
Edited by Astyanax

Unfortunately it looks as if you may have to invest in a new canvas belt, Bill.  I would drill the rivets out and use 2 "Chicago" style screws, as the extra holes in the leather won't be seen anyway  I know it's a bit of extra work, (and cost) but hopefully you will be shooting for EIB and Centurion and it will be worth it!

• Like 1

Unfortunately it looks as if you may have to invest in a new canvas belt, Bill.  I would drill the rivets out and use 2 "Chicago" style screws, as the extra holes in the leather won't be seen anyway  I know it's a bit of extra work, (and cost) but hopefully you will be shooting for EIB and Centurion and it will be worth it!

I believe these are Chicago screws vs rivets and may easily be removed. There's a second pic of the inside of the holster/belt:

67e80ece-0669-4ab4-9286-05108cd671e6.jpg

• Like 2

That would still leave 2 holes on the belt. I can see why ANOVOS did it though - in the movie the only person who ever holstered an E-11 was Han, and he needed the support. For casual fans, they may elect to holster their side arm a lot.

Otherwise we could always go back and make the number of rivets be an EI only requirement, and thus not affect 501st acceptance.

• Like 3

I don't remember about Han, but Luke holstered for sure his blaster too. 

Honestly, I say it's a no debat. Just remove the two top rivets or chicago screws and leave the belt like that with two holes. No one cares, it will barely be visible once the belt tightened over white ABS, and you will get your approval and EIB easy.

I would like to see the "number of rivets" moved to the EIB level.  Couple reasons:

1: There's gonna be 5,000 people going for 501st acceptance in the next year, and every single one of them is going to have a belt that is wrong at this stage. They're gonna get told to take out two of the screws, they're gonna have holes in their belts, they're gonna get mad at the 501st, at Anovos, at Disney, and at other belt makers who can't keep up with demand. Much easier to make a line of text blue instead of black, no?

2: The troopers in the movie that Han and Luke steal the armor from are wearing Stunt helmets, but the very same belts that the good guys take (including the only example of the comm mike and grappling hook I know of in the movie), complete with 4 rivets on the holsters.  By that example, 4 rivets is screen accurate for a stunt kit.  

• Like 3

My opinion, the CRL says two screws. But it doesn't say no holes. We can add a small patch of material behind the holes to make it look better, but they are just holes. That shouldn't stop anyone from being approved at a basic level. With the state of some costumes that get approved, two small holes in the belt shouldn't be the cause of a lot of headaches. Not just for the GMLs, but for the applicants as well. 

FISD should agree as a detachment that removal of the screws is fine, and communicate that down to the GMLs. That way, everyone matches the CRL, technically, and if they want higher level of approvals, they can buy a new $37 belt. 

EDIT - If we're going to worry about two holes, then we need to worry about the visible stitching from the velcro as well. 

Edited by netslave
  • Like 2

You can opt to make a belt too.  It is actually not that hard if you have a sewing machine.  I followed this tutorial, since I did a Sandtrooper build.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/665-howto-a-guide-to-making-a-canvas-belt/ To make the holes for the rivets and snaps (to snap it to my ab plate) I just used a heat knife with the soldering attachment on it.

• Like 2

Why not paint the rivets white? Or glue a couple of small pieces of canvas to the rivets?

I'm tempted to try something like that. But will the new material blend right with the rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This may be something that has been discussed previously and everyone knows already but I have not found it referenced so I will go ahead and ask.

According to this site: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm The only difference between a Stunt and a Hero was the helmet.  The armor pieces used were interchanged and not specific to any one kit.  Thus aside from Han and Luke there were "Hero" TKs used on troopers who were closer to the camera and needed to have a better looking helmet.

So with that being said my question: Aside from the helmet why is there even a difference in the CRL for a Stunt vs a Hero?

• Like 1

Taken directly from the belt section of the CRL for the ANH Stunt:<br>

"The holster is affixed with only two fasteners at the bottom (one per strap)."<br>

In the current form, a belt with four fasteners would need some type of modification to meet the basic approval.

This may be something that has been discussed previously and everyone knows already but I have not found it referenced so I will go ahead and ask.

According to this site: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm The only difference between a Stunt and a Hero was the helmet.  The armor pieces used were interchanged and not specific to any one kit.  Thus aside from Han and Luke there were "Hero" TKs used on troopers who were closer to the camera and needed to have a better looking helmet.

So with that being said my question: Aside from the helmet why is there even a difference in the CRL for a Stunt vs a Hero?

It is the helmet and belt, but also to take in to account you can have the grapling hook.  Also, at the time, we noted the hand guards were different too, and the Falcon/Han guy is the only one with an MG-34.  Just a way to dial things up as you move up the accuracy scale.  Hero helmets are not that common.

ANOVOS should know better. They should've made it with 2 rivets and sent another two with the kit so it can be modified for hero advising the customer of the possibility of ruining the belt with repeated holstering. This is just an asinine issue that should've been caught on the manufacturing level. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul.kennedyjr
  • Like 3

ANOVOS should know better. They should've made it with 2 rivets and sent another two with the kit so it can be modified for hero advising the customer of the possibility of ruining the belt with repeated holstering. This is just an asinine issue that should've been caught on the manufacturing level. But that's just my opinion.

They said that 2 rivets didn't pass quality and safety testing. We all have to keep in mind that anyone can buy these, not only 501st members. They need it to look good, they need it to be sturdy and they need it to be safe. Those concerns are more important than screen accuracy for them. Yes, it's a downer for us but for them, it's better than costumer complaints because it broke or God forbid somebody getting hurt because some part of the costume broke.

They said that 2 rivets didn't pass quality and safety testing. We all have to keep in mind that anyone can buy these, not only 501st members. They need it to look good, they need it to be sturdy and they need it to be safe. Those concerns are more important than screen accuracy for them. Yes, it's a downer for us but for them, it's better than costumer complaints because it broke or God forbid somebody getting hurt because some part of the costume broke.

There are other ways to ensure safety standards and keeping it two rivets at sale. A simple narrow strip of abs sewn into the belt behind where the holster would hang is a trick lots of people use. Like I said, the people there aren't stupid. It just seems that some things are being overlooked that shouldn't be.

By the way, what is the point of the velcro under the holster attachment? Anyone know? Is the belt going to velcro to the armor at that point?

To keep the belt from sliding down under the weight of the blaster.

ON the other topic...

So the 501st now lets a company dictate the CRL? Thats basically whats happening. ANOVOS says "No, we're doing it this way, get over it." So we make an exception and let it work. That sets a precedent and whats to stop it happening again.

• Like 6