Lucky#Eleven - Phoenix Props Pipe Kit with Completion Set, Conversion Counter, Inner Barrel and more Add-Ons

T-Jay

Military issued Sterlings didn't have a wrinkle finish, (untill)

Commercial Sterlings did.

Sterling SMG's were painted with the wrinkle finish during new production when going for commercial or export sales.

British military variants were painted with smooth Suncorite 259 paint at the factory and during subsequent FTR programs.

They gave it a crackled finish to hide the welding spots, untill they introduced the brazing proces.

But the paint had by that time established itself durable.. so they all got the wrinkle paint.

Unless you find a ex military variant.

The most ones you see today, are worn down to there undercoat.

One person that has a MKII Sterling, thought his was plain black, untill i asked him to check under his pistol grip..

Interesting stuff Tr00per. The finish examples I've seen online are all over the map and this explains a lot.

• Like 1

I love this part of the build, you really start to see all the detail and work come out!

This walk through of your process is really nice, gives me loads to think about and the end result is so realistic.

Thanks Tino.

Hi Tino I was wondering if you were still intending to incorporate electronics in this build. One thing which I would be very interested to see would be a reworking of the electronics so that the sound effects created are say 3 or 4 times louder then the typical star wars blaster toys available.<br><br>

I'm not an electronics expert by any means but assume that this may need an upgraded amplifier and or speaker/speakers........just a thought

Fyi I been experimenting with this board from adafruit. It connects to the disney blaster chip module just fine and does make things a lot louder, albeit with some distortion from that little blaster speaker. 

On 30/04/2016 at 2:08 PM, SlyFox740 said:

I've been following along on your blaster build Tino, amazing work and attention to detail! Very inspiring. I was actually a bit surprised to see that you decided to go with a wrinkle finish on this. I've seen the VHT paint used before here on FSID, I've been seriously considering doing the same but I thought it had been discovered that only military issued Sterlings actually had the wrinkle finish still on them and the ones in the film were stripped and repainted a smooth matte black, It's been discussed at length on here. Either way you've done an amazing job and it looks super realistic. Awesome build thread, keep up the great work Tino!

On 30/04/2016 at 2:18 PM, Tr00per said:

Military issued Sterlings didn't have a wrinkle finish, (untill)

Commercial Sterlings did.

Sterling SMG's were painted with the wrinkle finish during new production when going for commercial or export sales.

British military variants were painted with smooth Suncorite 259 paint at the factory and during subsequent FTR programs.

They gave it a crackled finish to hide the welding spots, untill they introduced the brazing proces.

But the paint had by that time established itself durable.. so they all got the wrinkle paint.

Unless you find a ex military variant.

The most ones you see today, are worn down to there undercoat.

One person that has a MKII Sterling, thought his was plain black, untill i asked him to check under his pistol grip..

On 01/05/2016 at 1:18 AM, Addertime said:

Interesting stuff Tr00per. The finish examples I've seen online are all over the map and this explains a lot.

To be honest, I simply aimed for an extra bit of realism and therefore wanted this wrinkle paint.

Most of the reference pictures I studied showed this paint. But you experts out there know a lot more of the original part... :salute:

On 30/04/2016 at 4:27 PM, Thrawn's guard said:

Hi Tino I was wondering if you were still intending to incorporate electronics in this build. One thing which I would be very interested to see would be a reworking of the electronics so that the sound effects created are say 3 or 4 times louder then the typical star wars blaster toys available.<br><br>

I'm not an electronics expert by any means but assume that this may need an upgraded amplifier and or speaker/speakers........just a thought

Hi Chris, I still plan to install electronics like shown in update #08. For the moment, I am happy when everything is in place without any further alterations.

But the adafruit board that Sean (count chocula) mentioned seems interesting for such a modification...

On 01/05/2016 at 1:32 AM, sla73 said:

I love this part of the build, you really start to see all the detail and work come out!

This walk through of your process is really nice, gives me loads to think about and the end result is so realistic.

Thanks Tino.

Thanks Bryn. Glad you like it. Realism is on top of the list for this build – but a real Sterling still looks somewhat different…  :blush:

On 02/05/2016 at 5:18 AM, charlesnarles said:

Excellent work, and a fun read. I'll be following your footsteps closely. Keep it up :)

Thanks Scott. Still very happy about getting the Disney blaster and additional parts from you.

On 02/05/2016 at 6:27 AM, usaeatt2 said:

INCREDIBLE WORK, TINO!!!  :)

Where's your trigger guard?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner  :lol:  The missing trigger guard is the first item in the next update.

On 02/05/2016 at 7:22 AM, Sith Lord said:

Looks fantastic as always Tino. Lucky you just so happened to have a make up kit handy. Just in your handbag next to the lipstick, was it?

Caught me – how did you know :lol:  When do we get another update in your sniper rifle build?

On 02/05/2016 at 10:06 PM, BILLSID29 said:

Awesome work Tino!! :icon_bow:

Thank you Bill. Also thanks very much for the kudos in your own build :salute:

On 03/05/2016 at 3:17 AM, count chocula said:

Fyi I been experimenting with this board from adafruit. It connects to the disney blaster chip module just fine and does make things a lot louder, albeit with some distortion from that little blaster speaker. 

At first I need to get some experiences with the electronics from that Disney blaster. Depending on that, it could later get changed. Will see...

Edited by T-Jay

Sorry everybody, no update today because I am currently away from home, with very limited internet access only.

Had not enough time to set up the full content before I left, so I thought you guys would rather prefer to wait a bit longer, than to get a rushed and incomplete update...

• Like 1

Update #18     - Sterling SMG L2A3

Aaron (usaeatt2) found a missing puzzle piece: the trigger guard. So let’s start with that.

26935859991_1610145822_b.jpg
26398568114_6a465545fa_b.jpg
26910069572_f210689073_b.jpg
26935852551_e7b210d5c8_b.jpg
26970716546_95cf922436_b.jpg

Okay, now comes what we were waiting for: the assembly. Thought a little video would be best to demonstrate this. Enjoy… :D

The rear sight had been skipped in the video, so that was the next step (once the scope rail is attached, I am going to shorten that screw). Also the heads from the carriage bolts got weathered and added.

27004329285_fc1f87a9f6_b.jpg
26730376940_12e2b6932e_b.jpg

Most photos in this thread were taken at nights with electrical light and this can change the look of the weathering. Therefore I wanted to save that stage of the build in some daylight pictures…

26730789920_2df83d8896_b.jpg

26936240601_85bc57b1ca_b.jpg

26936212491_073ee09a20_b.jpg

27004629395_ef51ac0383_b.jpg

27004915335_5af3144e85_b.jpg

26910708922_2df3cc954a_b.jpg

26971388216_93c5caf04f_b.jpg

26399219614_bbf26c05dc_b.jpg

26399205704_b77933344b_b.jpg

26936432711_3670f37044_b.jpg

Thanks for reading. Next time the bolt will be moved into final position…

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 8

I second what Michael and Kevin just wrote. Its freakin outstanding. I could swear this is a real sterling. The realism reached is on this blaster is beyond perfect. The moving parts are amazing. I had to re-examine each photo to believe what I am seeing, no joke. <br>

Tino, Bravo! This blaster should be published in a model making magazine! You should publish a book on your weathering techniques.

Tino.... virtually indistinguishable from the real thing unless you're actually holding it in your hand. Now thats quite a feat!

On 14/05/2016 at 2:51 PM, kevin926 said:

Awsome! That looks great.

On 15/05/2016 at 5:31 AM, count chocula said:

AWWWESSSOOOOOME.

On 15/05/2016 at 7:43 AM, sla73 said:

that is totally on-mazing! :salute:

On 15/05/2016 at 11:50 AM, Sith Lord said:

Great work Tino. Can't wait for the final completion..

On 15/05/2016 at 12:59 PM, jkno said:

Wow!!! Superb!

Wow, the amount of comments and replies since the last update is a lot more, than I dared to dream. Thanks very much for all your support, guys! That really keeps me pushing.

On 14/05/2016 at 4:41 PM, Bulldog44 said:

I second what Michael and Kevin just wrote. Its freakin outstanding. I could swear this is a real sterling. The realism reached is on this blaster is beyond perfect. The moving parts are amazing. I had to re-examine each photo to believe what I am seeing, no joke. <br>

Tino, Bravo! This blaster should be published in a model making magazine! You should publish a book on your weathering techniques.

On 14/05/2016 at 7:32 PM, usaeatt2 said:

I would DEFINITELY buy your book on weathering techniques. Unbelievable realism!!!!

On 15/05/2016 at 10:24 PM, Addertime said:

Amazingly authentic. I'm still in awe at the weathering and aging techniques you used. 

Thanks for your words! All I did has been listed in this thread – and that is not even enough to fill a magazine, let alone a book. There are people here on FISD with a lot more talent for this. Just remember Steve’s (gazmosis) magazine paintjob or Andy’s (PlayfulWolfCub) weathering on his power cylinders. Unreachable for me (got no airbrush). I leave it up to these guys to write that book :lol:

Edited by T-Jay

On 14/05/2016 at 2:56 PM, Lichtbringer said:

It´s unbelievable how real this looks, i love it.  :jc_doublethumbup:

On 18/05/2016 at 3:12 PM, Dday said:

Tino.... virtually indistinguishable from the real thing unless you're actually holding it in your hand. Now thats quite a feat!

Thank you. Well, a real Sterling somehow still looks different. And although being praised, my model building and weathering skills are not sufficient to reach 100% of realism. But I am quite happy with how it looks now :)

On 14/05/2016 at 8:48 PM, crisisfilms said:

Really awesome stuff here. This is really making me want to get back to work on my blaster, and I hope it looks half as good as yours when I'm done.

On 18/05/2016 at 5:23 PM, cjdesign said:

Excellent work!! I haven't had much time to work on my thread but will have more inspiration when I do get back to work. ;)

Hey Adam and Carl, glad to hear that some people get encouraged and inspired by this. That means, the other 50% of this build (running the thread) are not a waste of time. :D  Thanks.

On 14/05/2016 at 11:25 PM, artimorty said:

B  R  A  V  O

even better than the real thing, and everything happened in front of our eyes...

are you planning something special for a display? this belongs to a museum...

Ehm, well, yes I had a few thoughts about how to display this and it seems to result in something rather unusual. When this build is completed, there might start a new project-thread…

Edited by T-Jay