Lucky#Eleven - Phoenix Props Pipe Kit with Completion Set, Conversion Counter, Inner Barrel and more Add-Ons

T-Jay

On 16/12/2015 at 4:38 PM, artimorty said:

Popcorn ready... Soooo waiting for this. Sure I'd learn a lot!

The Blaster Reference is surely better to learn from, than this individual thread. But I will try my best to maybe add something to it ;)

On 16/12/2015 at 7:39 PM, usaeatt2 said:

"We don't make mistakes...we just have happy little accidents." - Bob Ross

Didn’t know that guy until I searched the internet and yes, the “joy of painting” will soon be a topic in this build, too :D

Oh, and when we used this Sterling picture for the title page in the Blaster Reference, you had stated it was made by yourself. Now that photo reveals the truth. Gonna have to report you for this ;)

On 17/12/2015 at 5:41 AM, charlesnarles said:

I love it.

Thanks again, Scott, for helping me on getting some of the parts for this build :duim:

On 19/12/2015 at 10:24 PM, TK-50101 Blue Snaggletooth said:

:popcorn:

:salute:

Edited by T-Jay

Update #03     - Paint in the first build step

Okay I must admit, it took long to reach the point of finally showing some build progress and I hope it was worth waiting. In this build I am focussed on a more realistic appearance of the blaster, that will hopefully be achieved with different paint techniques compared to my last build. This is how I started.

23801589522_ccce7b65f0_b.jpg
23281694404_9260aa8c12_b.jpg
23909884785_748668a776_b.jpg
23281692644_8e7e91d82e_b.jpg

During the last 6 months I already built a few of these kits and always thought about a movable bolt. But pulling back the charging handle, exposes the bolt head. So this needed to get reshaped...

23827409741_9b4ea93776_b.jpg
23281691504_dd84458886_b.jpg
23542028979_616500cb02_b.jpg
23283116293_fccc0742d4_b.jpg
23281688714_09ba7a10b7_b.jpg
23614193660_da145886c2_b.jpg

Please feel free to leave any feedback and critics. The next update is not that far away...

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 9

I see allot of people making some area's golden color, when they are not suppose to be that...

Is there a misread somewhere in any ''how to'' thread ?

Or is it there to make the most lubricant part look rusted ?

* ^_^ talking about the sear pin (wich has a spring behind it) that never wears brow color wise from friction or anything else, even after decades.

Ofcourse it's one's own choise, but it just doesn't seem logic when stiving for accuracy.

The rest of the bolt looks ace btw!

Edited by Tr00per

I see allot of people making some area's golden color, when they are not suppose to be that...

Is there a misread somewhere in any ''how to'' thread ?

Or is it there to make the most lubricant part look rusted ?

* ^_^ talking about the sear pin (wich has a spring behind it) that never wears brow color wise from friction or anything else, even after decades.

Ofcourse it's one's own choise, but it just doesn't seem logic when stiving for accuracy.

The rest of the bolt looks ace btw!

Pics of how it should be then?

I wish my iPhone would post pics, but TJ you're very much on the right track based on my own bolt, still in straight-from-the-battlefield condition dirt/oil-wise. If anything, the clearing strips themselves are fairly "silver" on mine, but you've done a great job recreating the color and finish on the lower sections. Lots of pics online, I'll also post some shortly. Keep it up! :)

The sear and sear pin are located in the trigger group and are not part of this discussion.

As you noted, the plunger and spring should be lubricated to avoid wear.

All parts can rust, but I prefer to think of the weathering as "carbon scoring" from heavy cycling since Tino is KILLING IT with this build!!!

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

As far as i know, sterling plungers are not made from brass :)

I was not talking about rust on the bolt btw, i was refuring to the golden color on the (Plunger)''Thnx for pointing that out :) couldn't get onto the word''

But now i get the idea behind it, people are mistaken it for brass.

''Brass is not magnetic, just tested the plunger with a magnet, and it picks up''

This Plunger get's allot of friction (as you can tell from the tip)... if it was brass, you would have to swap it every single shot fired.

The bolt itself can rust (weather) for sure.... (no doubt about that)

Was refuring ''lubrication'' on the Plunger wich has a spring attached to it wich should be lubricated''

Thought it had to resamble (weathering), but looks like it should look like brass, wich it should not.

a9OkSKk.jpg

YCvkt2B.jpg

Edited by Tr00per

I stand corrected and will edit my previous post to avoid confusion.  Thank you, Dennis.   :)

Great pictures too!

It's been awhile since I've had a Sterling apart and apparently my memory isn't what it used to be.

In fact, the golden color is probably my fault.

Awhile back, I offered pictures of my early production bolt in which the plunger is rusty and the extractor is grooved.

Later, I offered pictures of a newer bolt after cleaning all parts in an abrasive media tumbler to remove any corrosion.

The later production extractors are not grooved.

Rusty plunger, early extractor/bolt:

Bolt%20-%20Early%20Extractor_zps01urtc7g

Cleaned bolt parts with later extractor/bolt:

Bolt%20-%20Parts%206_zpsjsdy0exd.jpg

Tino, its not fair to post such amazing painting skills on this forum. Totally jealous of your talent! :)<br>

Truly spectacular results on the bolt. You should be working on movie props for a living! <br><br>

Aaron, your rusty plunger is a detail many of us have happily replicated. Long live the rusty plunger and the slotted extractor! While brass may not be the correct metal used for the sterling plunger, it sure looks good to mimic a rusty one. <br><br>

Can't wait to see more on this build!

On 22/12/2015 at 8:37 PM, Twnbrother said:

Wow Tino..... that is impressive.

Mike, if you like this, I am curious on your opinion about the next update ;)

On 24/12/2015 at 10:41 AM, Sith Lord said:

Looking good Tino! Might have to go back and re-do my bolt now.

No need to do that, Ian. You built a very good looking blaster – and just recently I added a mod to mine, that you had done first :salute:

On 25/12/2015 at 10:34 AM, Dday said:

Hah, someone carrying this blaster will have to look out for the police! will be hard to tell it from the real thing, outstanding!

Thanks Derrek. You surely know, the best thing is to never carry the blaster without the armor ;)

On 26/12/2015 at 12:29 AM, Thrawn's guard said:

Tino I'm very much looking forward to watching this build. Your previous build was one of my inspirations for my own build. Great thread so far by the way.

Thanks Chris. Feeling honored to hear this – especially as your own build became very outstanding!

On 26/12/2015 at 1:33 AM, Tr00per said:

I see allot of people making some area's golden color, when they are not suppose to be that...   (...)

Dennis, thank you very much for highlighting this. Indeed I was referring to exactly the first picture from entry #37. And “Revell brass 92” was just the only available color in my paintbox, which came somewhat close to that. Although it is just a very little part, I am happy to repaint this soon - just to be sure to have everything correct.

On 26/12/2015 at 8:14 AM, charlesnarles said:

I wish my iPhone would post pics, but TJ you're very much on the right track based on my own bolt, still in straight-from-the-battlefield condition dirt/oil-wise. If anything, the clearing strips themselves are fairly "silver" on mine, but you've done a great job recreating the color and finish on the lower sections. Lots of pics online, I'll also post some shortly. Keep it up! :)

Thanks for pointing this out, Scott. To be honest, I had already thought about repainting the clearing stripes with silver. Reading your comment confirms to better do this, but it will take a while until the photos here display it correctly, because there has already been some work in the background…

On 26/12/2015 at 3:28 PM, usaeatt2 said:
Rusty plunger, early extractor/bolt:

Bolt%20-%20Early%20Extractor_zps01urtc7g

Cleaned bolt parts with later extractor/bolt:

Bolt%20-%20Parts%206_zpsjsdy0exd.jpg

Aaron, thank you for posting these two pictures. They perfectly show what this discussion was about. I had them both and took the first one as reference. To be honest, I thought it would look even more real with that third color on the bolt. However, it is just a minor correction. No big deal.

On 26/12/2015 at 4:03 PM, Bulldog44 said:

Tino, its not fair to post such amazing painting skills on this forum. Totally jealous of your talent! :)<br>

Truly spectacular results on the bolt. You should be working on movie props for a living! <br><br>

Aaron, your rusty plunger is a detail many of us have happily replicated. Long live the rusty plunger and the slotted extractor! While brass may not be the correct metal used for the sterling plunger, it sure looks good to mimic a rusty one. <br><br>

Can't wait to see more on this build!

Thanks for your kind words, Brian but I did nothing special. The effect comes from the Humbrol Metal Cote that everybody can use. That is why I state the used colors and tools and hope to someday help other builders with it.

Edited by T-Jay

Update #04     - Dark side of the bolt

The idea of a movable bolt causes more problems to take care of...

23964104556_8419b61802_b.jpg
23694177650_dd8731539e_b.jpg
23694176530_e9a4c479d0_b.jpg
23881623452_40d387d516_b.jpg
23363049683_eeacba47e7_b.jpg
23622007599_eb075a0875_b.jpg
23881620732_b214161dfb_b.jpg
23907318901_729d3302a5_b.jpg
23694170990_b4b4e4fe0a_b.jpg
23881617762_4c706eca46_b.jpg
23907316501_4707dcaa48_b.jpg
23963768556_e9a3947aae_b.jpg

Not sure yet if there will be another update this year, but latest in early January.

Thanks for reading and/or following :duim:

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 5

WOW.

It has always been my intent to replicate the business end of a magazine inside the receiver and you've DONE IT!

The5thHorseman (Germain) actually said this in my steel pipe build:

"If i could offer one suggestion, it would be to paint those rounds in the magazine with a golden fashion paint.

There are a lot of places throughout the film where you can notice them:"

Germain was referring to one of my pictures which had NO rounds in the magazine.

Only the black feed rollers inside the magazine were visible.

So, I loaded rounds in the magazine and took another picture.

Unfortunately, Germain's picture links are broken.

He posted an incredible screen grab where you can CLEARLY see rounds in the magazine through the ejection port.

The following picture isn't as good as Germain's, but it seems to show a real round cycling into the chamber:

gallery_12157_11_322337_zpsm9c1owjj.jpg

This was likely one of the Bapty hero props that fired real blanks.

Does that make it a blaster or just today's smg?

Are bullets "screen accurate"?

Sometimes it comes down to builder's discretion.

Curious though, what would the inside of a laser blaster look like?  Maybe worth exploring someday.

It's a great idea and I've never seen anyone try it!

Incredible work with the bullets, Tino!

Some of those were quite literally garbage meant for cutting up, but you made treasure out of them!

The paint really sells it as a real bullet!  Thanks for listing the colors you used - I'll be visiting the hobby store soon.

If you worked this miracle with junk, I can't wait to see what you do with the good pieces!

MIND BLOWN.

Aaron

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everybody. Hope you all had a good time with your families and friends, enjoyed the holidays and the new Star Wars movie :)

On 26/12/2015 at 11:07 PM, Lichtbringer said:

I like what you did :jc_doublethumbup:  - except the bullet-thing.

It ruins the blaster imagination completely, and makes it just a todays smg.  :unsure:

A more "blaster" looking solution would have been way better (myself still looking for a cool looking one for my all real parts E11).

Your true opinion is really appreciated. It was obvious, not everybody would like this mod and that is absolutely okay.
Instead of purely estimating how a fictional laser gun might look internally, I just preferred to go for the real inside view of the original screen-used Sterling SMG. And most probably a laser gun would not need a moving bolt at all ;)

On 26/12/2015 at 11:22 PM, artimorty said:

This<br>
Is<br>
AWESOME...<br>
Tino... Indeed you are a master builder!<br>
This is getting to a microscopic level of detail. Great job.

Thanks for your words, Curro!  ^_^ All I do is combining as much mods as possible and adding something new to it. At the moment, I am not even sure if all things in mind will collaborate in one blaster. You will soon see what I mean…

On 27/12/2015 at 6:18 AM, usaeatt2 said:

WOW.

It has always been my intent to replicate the business end of a magazine inside the receiver and you've DONE IT!

The5thHorseman (Germain) actually said this in my steel pipe build:

"If i could offer one suggestion, it would be to paint those rounds in the magazine with a golden fashion paint.

There are a lot of places throughout the film where you can notice them:"

Germain was referring to one of my pictures which had NO rounds in the magazine.

Only the black feed rollers inside the magazine were visible.

So, I loaded rounds in the magazine and took another picture.

Unfortunately, Germain's picture links are broken.

He posted an incredible screen grab where you can CLEARLY see rounds in the magazine through the ejection port.

The following picture isn't as good as Germain's, but it seems to show a real round cycling into the chamber:

gallery_12157_11_322337_zpsm9c1owjj.jpg

This was likely one of the Bapty hero props that fired real blanks.

Does that make it a blaster or just today's smg?

Are bullets "screen accurate"?

Sometimes it comes down to builder's discretion.

Curious though, what would the inside of a laser blaster look like?  Maybe worth exploring someday.

It's a great idea and I've never seen anyone try it!

Incredible work with the bullets, Tino!

Some of those were quite literally garbage meant for cutting up, but you made treasure out of them!

The paint really sells it as a real bullet!  Thanks for listing the colors you used - I'll be visiting the hobby store soon.

If you worked this miracle with junk, I can't wait to see what you do with the good pieces!

MIND BLOWN.

Aaron

Glad to hear you like the new look of your bullets. While thinking about the movable bolt, I simply got in need of something to place behind it. The resin rounds you sent with your barrels and spring cups were just perfect for this. So one thought led to another…
Also a big “Thank You” for posting another great reference picture, validating the screen accuracy of the last update :duim:

On 27/12/2015 at 2:49 PM, Tr00per said:

I've uploaded some picture's a while ago of this aswell..

http://imgur.com/a/MCqWp

Feel free to use them..

Dennis, your screen captures nail it! Especially the ones with Han and Leia holding the Sterling with bolt in backward position. Thank you very much for sharing these with us and for green light to use them.

On 27/12/2015 at 4:33 PM, crisisfilms said:

Wow, this looks fantastic. Really hope I can do something similar and half as good one day.

Hey Adam, thanks for stopping by. How are things? It’s been a while since your last build update. Hope you are taking your blaster and completion set to the maximum ;)

Edited by T-Jay

Tino... you didn't just raise the bar. You created a new Standard. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much, Mike. Although not being really sure what I got myself into.  :lol:  Well will see…