T K's DD Build

T K

First off I would like to thank all those who have shared their builds. They have given me the most wonderful guides to follow.

I was really excited to find a brown box at my door. The DoopyDoos resin kit finally came. I have already acquired T-Jay's wonderful finishing kit, so I am ready to start!

Here's all the parts (including T-Jay's kit)

mD6FWp3.jpg

I would also like to show you the DD D-ring compared to the one in the finishing kit. A world of difference!

lIAUwRg.jpg

First things first, a bath for all the parts to clean off release agent and other crap.

xkoSgfX.jpg

Next I decided to trim off the excess resin on the small parts using a Dremel. I'd also highly recommend safety glasses and some sort of breathing protection as this resin dust is nasty to your lungs.

vTC2cXL.jpg

2xAXZQN.jpg

Next came drilling out the holes on the barrel.

Sf2aQTh.jpg

dBrY0Bg.jpg

Time to replace these"screws".

NuBEgqK.jpg

pUWlFxY.jpg

I found that removing these screws was quite difficult for me... Not sure why, but they put up a fight.

This is all I was able to do today, but I hope to get more done in the near future. Any tips are really appreciated as this is my first build.

• Like 3

Hi Aaron, that was a quick start. :) Your progress looks good so far. Thanks for that comparison shot of the rings for the end cap.

Maybe you want to use your bigger drum sanders from picture 4 (upper left corner) to trim the inside of the two guards. Those perfectly match the guards and you can shape them more realistically.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32111-fisd-e-11-blaster-reference/#entry414339

• Like 1

I've been having a similar problem removing the resin screw blobs. Can't seem to drill the hole in the proper location. It's gotten so bad I'm considering cutting the whole muzzle off and ordering a 3D printed one from Shapeways...

Yeah, I'm just going to do my best then use some green stuff to recreate the proper look.

• Like 1

All righty! I was able to work a bit tonight. Here's my progress. Also changed the photos to be smaller, better for viewing. :)

I finally found a way to look at references by putting my iPad in a plastic bag. Happy day, no nasty resin! I brought the thickness of the flash guards down and the sanded down the gluing side.

vTC2cXL.jpg

Next I replaced the fake screw with real ones.

I2TkJuT.jpg

Then I worked on the trigger. I used a spring from a pen that was graciously donated by college recruiters. :)

EdiLevG.jpg

Chris, your suggestion worked wonderfully! I was able to get the proper size for the hole.

31IJ9bQ.jpg

Getting the selector and the d-ring thingy fixed for the proper d-ring. For the selector I sanded a bit to much so in the pictures below I used foam to build up the height, later i found a washer of the proper size that I will use instead.

3vqP1x0.jpg

Next came the folding stock. Then drilled the holes out and cleared out the resin and fitted the pipe insert.

WB1kIbV.jpg

That's as far as I have gotten tonight.

• Like 4

Glad to see you thinned the guards. Looks so much better.

Somehow I like the way your photos are organzied now ;)

Yeah, I'm glad you recommended that I thin them out. Edited by T K

Here is my progress! Please note that I was working and I got in the 'zone' and forgot to take photos...

The Scope and Sight

wTMIOwD.jpg

Mag

4dTgc0g.jpg

Folding Stock - needs sanding.

83NQU3u.jpg

And this is where I did not take photos... Here's what it looks like so far.

NH5YLQn.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 3

That is a huge update, Aaron. Just your clearing strip on the inner bolt seems a bit wide to me. Would suggest to check the cleaned Sterling parts in the gallery chapter. Correct width is about 6,4mm.

Are you going to do some fine-tuning on the front sight guard and the hole in your folding stock front?

• Like 1

That is a huge update, Aaron. Just your clearing strip on the inner bolt seems a bit wide to me. Would suggest to check the cleaned Sterling parts in the gallery chapter. Correct width is about 6,4mm.

Are you going to do some fine-tuning on the front sight guard and the hole in your folding stock front?

Yeah, the strip does look a bit thick, I'll be making it smaller.

And yes, I will be fine tuning the sight and the hole. I'll take some more photos of them to get your input. These are also just rough starts on the parts.

I hope to work done soon, but one of my sisters is getting married this week, so I probably won't get much done. Hopefully Friday will bring more updates. :)

And thanks for all the pointers Tino! They are really appreciated. :)

• 4 months later...

All righty. I finished my blaster.. so here it is. I did not get it as accurate as I wanted it, but I needed it finished. I also decided that in the future I will build a better one.

DilWswQ.jpg

QfsJJO2.jpg

• Like 1

:blink: What happened? No pictures of your work?

It was such an interesting start and this last update is a big jump to the finish line...

However, you said you needed it finished so everybody will understand - as long as you keep your promise to build an even better one in the future :lol:;)

Anyway, the result is looking good. Maybe add some light weathering on a few edges but even without it looks fine. :duim:

• Like 1

:blink: What happened? No pictures of your work?

It was such an interesting start and this last update is a big jump to the finish line...

However, you said you needed it finished so everybody will understand - as long as you keep your promise to build an even better one in the future :lol:;)

Anyway, the result is looking good. Maybe add some light weathering on a few edges but even without it looks fine. :duim:

Yeah, I was a bit saddened, I wanted to do so much more. But I plan on weathering this one. :) And I will make a better one in the future!
  • Like 1