Help with Claustrophobia

tugle

So I have never been clausterphobic before, but have never worn a helmet like the TK bucket either.  I was very surprised how hard I found it to breathe in there after even a couple minutes with the restricted airflow.  

This seems to be something normal, that most people just get used to.  I used the plastidip to paint the inside black, but don't think that would have much of an affect (researching I have read some forum posts where this may be the case).

So, has anyone out there done anything different such as cutting out additional slits (fans seem really common, mostly for heat, but the airflow probably helps with this too)

Does anyone have tips they would like to share how they got past this if they did something different?

I figure just wearing it around the house to get used to it will probably help (as will talking with my local garrison as I attend more events) but was looking for any other feedback the community has in general.

Thanks!

Limited visibility of your surrounds; including sigh and sound. Not a good combination if you are claustrophobic. That is a good idea to wear a helmet around familiar surroundings like your house to get used to the feeling. If you feel like you're not getting enough air then fans could help that problem. Other than the neck opening, additional holes to the helmet i don't think would be acceptable to 501st standards.

I've been trooping TK for close to 8 years and have trooped at least 100 events, and I still get claustrophobic for a minute or so after putting on my helmet. As such, I always give myself 30 - 60 seconds after putting on my helmet to calm my breathing before I step out of the dressing / staging area and into a potential crowd.

It's just something you'll have to condition yourself out of by wearing it as much as possible, starting with familiar surroundings (such as in your living room) and going from there.

Can't imagine not having a fan, I haven't tried it for longer than a few seconds. I'm sure that's a big factor, feeling the heat of your breath and all... Ugh I still always hyperventilate a little when I use a snorkel, but so far not in a bucket with fans

Edited by charlesnarles

You sound like you need a fan. I've managed to cope without, but I'll upgrade in the near future.

More airflow will make it feel more roomy.

Edited by Ryth_

I had the same problem at first.  A fan is the best solution.  A balaclava helps me too, even though you think it would make it worse.  

As others have said, experience helps.  Wear it around the house, a lot.  Start with 10 minutes and add ten until you're comfortable for an hour.

Finally, get familiar with getting it on and off.  I've got a big head so it took time to perfect the quarter turn and twist method.  The first few times trying to get it off as claustrophobia set in scared me some. 

Thanks guys, that is great stuff!.  Definitely seems to be the increased warmth from my breath - hearing my breathing seems to be part of that too.  Getting comfortable with the neckseal I think seems a part as well. I will be looking into a fan, as I can see how hot it will get quickly.  Being distracted by something certainly seems to be helping (i.e. sitting here with neckseal and bucket both on reading the forums, typing, etc).  Had it on for 2 minutes, took it off, then put it back on, and am going good over 20 minutes with it on and counting - still feels a bit strange, but certainly not panicky and no trouble breathing!  Better than I expected the first day.

I absolutely love hearing and reading about others being in the same boat, and how you saw the light at the end of the tunnel

Now I need a good straw - how do you drink with this thing on?  A trooper gets mighty thirsty in here (do snowtroopers keep a camelback system on their backs?)

To drink, it's usually easier to take the bucket off.  I've had some success with a drinking tube from a camelbak.  I cut it off about 18" long.  You can fish the tube up and bite on to the valve and stick the open end into a bottle of water.  Make sure to blow the tube empty before pulling it out or you'll get wet.  There's really no room for the full system.

Still, if you're getting thirsty that's good reminder to take a break and de-bucket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking, having worn full-faced motorcycle helmets, firefighting apparatus, and gas masks, that the fan is likely single best solution.

In the meantime, as someone stated, wearing your helm in familiar surroundings (hanging out at the house/garage/etc) is a great way to acclimate yourself.

Not sure if this will help, but, it's a trick our Platoon Sgt. from Recon taught us; when you start to get the sensation, before the actual claustrophobic state kicks in, slowly inhale for 4 seconds, then, slowly exhale for 4 seconds. Do this several times, trying not to hyperventilate. Slow, steady streams of air. Usually, about 10 times should do it. Concentrate on the breathing and the counting.

While it may take some getting used to, I assure you it works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to feel a little claustrophobic when I wore full helmets and masks for paintball and airsoft. If it's more of a mental issue, one way that helps a lot is to wear it in comfortable places like home, just like others here have suggested. Another thing that I found helps is to imagine the helmet as an extension of your own body rather than a foreign object, much in the same way you think of your clothing as being part of your person while you're wearing them.