Thoughts on the magma trooper?

pedro2931

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2016 at 3:07 AM, JohnnyHavoc said:

------------

Awesome what you make the re breather from ? i ended up droping the project.. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

------------

This my dad's armor. He got his Anovos TK back in February and already has it approved. We did this as an noninvasive mod to that armor. He ordered a 2nd back plate and we mounted the respirator backpack to that. He's got backpack straps for comfort and all the straps get hidden by the breast plate. Instead of wasting unused space he can carry essential items in the backpack along with the receiver/speaker for his wireless mic system. The pack with speakers weight about 8lbs. Its made from PVC and a lot of expanded PVC sheet and other light weight plastics. We tried to keep the weight down. The helmet respirator attachment is also expanded PVC, bolted through the helmet where the mic tips were. He can unbolt it and go right back to a normal TK.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 9:49 PM, JohnnyHavoc said:

------------

This my dad's armor. He got his Anovos TK back in February and already has it approved. We did this as an noninvasive mod to that armor. He ordered a 2nd back plate and we mounted the respirator backpack to that. He's got backpack straps for comfort and all the straps get hidden by the breast plate. Instead of wasting unused space he can carry essential items in the backpack along with the receiver/speaker for his wireless mic system. The pack with speakers weight about 8lbs. Its made from PVC and a lot of expanded PVC sheet and other light weight plastics. We tried to keep the weight down. The helmet respirator attachment is also expanded PVC, bolted through the helmet where the mic tips were. He can unbolt it and go right back to a normal TK.

Hey Johnny - This look great man! Were you guys just at the con in Florida? had some friends there with Anovos and took come pics of what looks exactly like your dads kit! would you guys be open to helping our with another pack / rebreather like you did for this one? looking to replicate the same this as you did on my TK and I like final look of yours! 

Also any more pics of this?

CHeers - Shaun  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Edited by gmrhodes13

Sure, I can post some construction photos if that will help. We were at Megacon (for a whole 3 hours). The Anovos guy was chatting up my dad about his kit so that was probably us.

Yeah any details of the build would be super helpful - appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/17/2015 at 4:40 AM, T K said:

Also, is anyone going to try to build a jump pack?

------------

That'll be a great add for troopers in hot climates. You could add a cooling system in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Long and Prosperous, you shall live"

Edited by gmrhodes13

Preliminary design and materials list
-------------

I'll list everything I can remember as far as materials.

-Framework: 1/2" aluminum bar. Its good for being light weight and being able to bend 90 degree angles without creasing.
-Mounting plate: 1/8" PVC sheet suspended in the framework by "duck head" clamps and 1/4-20 screws and nuts.
-Value sections, elbows and rigid tubing: PVC pipe and various fittings
-Value knob: Scuba tank knob
-Heatsinks: 1/4" expanded PVC sheet
-Compressor (the large tube inside the heatsinks): 4" thin wall PVC pipe
-Air filter cover ( large flat part on the left side): 0.60" styrene sheet
-Air filter cartridge (boxy part on left side bottom): 1/8" expanded PVC sheet
-Gas canisters: Empty sunscreen cans
-Burger box (blue grey box on lower right side): Vacuformed HIPS

The respirator was expanded PVC sheet cut and layered up to be virtually hollow. Styrene was added to the outside to give the details.

Maybe this weekend I can get him to suit up and we'll make a video showing off the storage space and compartments.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2016 at 5:30 AM, JohnnyHavoc said:

Preliminary design and materials list

-------------

I'll list everything I can remember as far as materials.

-Framework: 1/2" aluminum bar. Its good for being light weight and being able to bend 90 degree angles without creasing.

-Mounting plate: 1/8" PVC sheet suspended in the framework by "duck head" clamps and 1/4-20 screws and nuts.

-Value sections, elbows and rigid tubing: PVC pipe and various fittings

-Value knob: Scuba tank knob

-Heatsinks: 1/4" expanded PVC sheet

-Compressor (the large tube inside the heatsinks): 4" thin wall PVC pipe

-Air filter cover ( large flat part on the left side): 0.60" styrene sheet

-Air filter cartridge (boxy part on left side bottom): 1/8" expanded PVC sheet

-Gas canisters: Empty sunscreen cans

-Burger box (blue grey box on lower right side): Vacuformed HIPS

The respirator was expanded PVC sheet cut and layered up to be virtually hollow. Styrene was added to the outside to give the details.

Maybe this weekend I can get him to suit up and we'll make a video showing off the storage space and compartments.

Hi Johnny, Is there any way I can purchase a kit from you? I can be reached at djred5@gmail.com

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/13/2015 at 2:39 AM, DarkTrooper said:

The red armored troopers I thought were known as Magma Troopers. I guess they changed it to Crimson Troopers now and this respirator trooper is a Magma now  :blink:------------

On 11/14/2015 at 8:42 AM, xanthis02 said:

I have a Magma Trooper and this isn't it it's the if it isn't broke why mess with it statement

(Still getting caught up on the board after a few years away, so necroposting, but relevant...)

The 501st has made mistakes in the past. In '02 the Legion Council codified thumbnail descriptions of all the current costume types, and they screwed up two of them. I've been crusading to correct those misinterpretations ever since. One was the Storm Commando, which they thumbnailed as "Black Biker Scout". It isn't. About the only piece that could be carried over unmodified from a TB kit would maybe be the shoulder bells. Everything else is utterly unique -- including the Scout-inspired helmet. I'm a staunch proponent of the Shadow Scout nomenclature for the black Scout Trooper. They're in the ancillary material, many people have done costumes of them, I like them, and it fits in with the "Shadow" motif seen elsewhere with Shadow Troopers and Shadow Guards. But they're not the Storm Commando Mike Vilardi designed for the Star Wars RPG back in '93. To date, no one's ever done that as a costume.

The other error is what you guys are referring to. That same Council decision thumbnailed Magma Troopers as "Red Stormtroopers". There has been exactly one appearance of red Stormtroopers anywhere in any level of Star Wars canon. The illustrations accompanying a short story focused around Lumiya in Topps' "Star Wars Galaxy" magazine #3 in '95. They were explicitly called out in the text as Royal Guards in red Stormtrooper armor sent to accompany the mission. Even had RPG stats for them in the sidebar. Meanwhile, Magma Troopers had only ever gotten one mention. A text box in the Visual Dictionary (later quoted verbatim on the Star Wars Databank) mentioned additional types of Stormtrooper armor variants to those shown on the pages (Snowtroopers, Scout Troopers) "including tunneling underminers and Magma Troopers to quell uprisings on volcanic mining planets". That's it. No description. No illustration. Nothing. Someone on the Council had to have seen that illustration from the short story scanned without context and made the mental leap that red Stormtroopers amid fire had to be Magma Troopers. But the flames and rubble surrounding them in the illustration are from Lumiya's forces blasting their way into a defecting Imperial research installation on an airless planetoid. No volcanos anywhere.

And, later, things got messily circular. People in the Legion who did "Magma Trooper" costumes -- often sporting pauldrons and carrying E-11s not part of the original reference -- were spotted at conventions by Gentle Giant reps who asked them what type of trooper they were costuming as. So the Gentle Giant "Magma Trooper" Stormtrooper repaint is based on what they were told. Complete with the pauldron and E-11. And that statue is used as supporting reference for that being a Magma Trooper, even though Gentle Giant got that info from the 501st in the first place. :6:

So revel in your Royal Guard Stormtrooper armor. I'm working on a set myself. But I recommend ditching the pauldron, if you have one, and investing in an SE-14r for accuracy to the source material. ;) But it ain't a Magma Trooper. Thanks to nuBF, we now have a visual for the first time ever. And I like 'em.

Edited by gmrhodes13

11 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

The 501st has made mistakes in the past

Just an FYI anyone can submit information to the Legion Membership Office in regards to CRL updates, if you have proof either written or image reference then take the time to approach the LMO and request changes be made, what they may have had in regards to references years ago may not be what's available now. The CRL's don't just stop once they are created, many have updates and changes made to them, as new references come to hand or a more accurate version of the costume is seen.

It's usually those who are passionate about the costumes who ultimately create the CRL's ;) 

9 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just an FYI anyone can submit information to the Legion Membership Office in regards to CRL updates, if you have proof either written or image reference then take the time to approach the LMO and request changes be made, what they may have had in regards to references years ago may not be what's available now. The CRL's don't just stop once they are created, many have updates and changes made to them, as new references come to hand or a more accurate version of the costume is seen.

It's usually those who are passionate about the costumes who ultimately create the CRL's ;) 

I respected the chain of command and kept the debates on the SpecOps board. Didn't want to do an end run around the Detachment CO. The Storm Commando and Shadow Scout finally got separated into the two distinct costumes they are... But a more recent Detachment CO was trying to get them re-merged. As for the Royal Guard Stormtrooper versus Magma Trooper thing, they stuck to their guns that the 501st-inspired figures represented supporting evidence for the Magma Trooper designation, and refused to see the Legion's complicity in that or that it was circular reference. But neither could they ignore the hard evidence plunked down. So the "Crimson Trooper" designation is the lame compromise position for something that should never have been an issue in the first place. *shrug*

I was just gonna keep tilting at those particular windmills, unless you think a respectful letter to the LMO would actually help.

Contacting the LMO will probably do more than posting a rant on a thread that hasn't been active since 2016 ;) 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Contacting the LMO will probably do more than posting a rant on a thread that hasn't been active since 2016 ;) 

Fair. But until recently I hadn't been active on here since 2008, so it's new to me.;) And a lot of it was to get the facts out there wherever anyone is going along under bad data, I admit. Not saying don't do a red 'Trooper -- just wanting it called what it is. :deadhorse: Thanks for the advice. I'll point out I never would have gotten it if I hadn't posted my rant in a dead thread...:P:salute: