TakoTuesday's poor man DLT-19 build with printed parts

Recently I decided to try and make my own DLT using the build a blaster like so many others here. Thanks for all the pics and build logs it's helped immensely. I am not a professional 3D modeler but I decided to try my hand at making some parts for print. I want this to be durable enough to troop with so wall thicknesses and other measurements may be slightly off. I will maintain visual accuracy even if some parts won't be as strong as I'd like.

First was the muzzle device.

Actual-3DModel-01_zpsgikozwmi.jpg

Once the initial model of the muzzle device was complete I decided to model more parts.

Actual-3DModel-02_zpssznpztkv.jpg

Then I did some test prints and sanding...

Actual-Print-01_zpsugkaffs6.jpg

Due to the complex contours of some parts I will either need to print them with supports or divide them so they can be printed without supports. I prefer not using supports when possible for the cleanest results.

I will also have to figure out if I want to drill a PVC pipe with holes or print one...

• Like 1

Thanks for the measurements Bill. It looks like I'd have to make a separate set of files to be more proportionate to the PVC pipe. I think it would be more efficient and affordable (keeping with the poor man build) to have only a couple printable parts for the PVC pipe build.

AA sight base (ring?)

Actual-3DModel-03_zpsy23oryzg.jpg

Test prints assembled with barrel shroud. It's missing the bipod mount because I forgot to put it on when I took the pic.

Actual-Print-02_zpsdghbpj2x.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my current DLT build with more parts added. I am printing the AA sight base in multiple pieces to avoid using supports.

Actual-Print-03_zpsbllrysds.jpg

I've also made some progress on the DLT19 bipod model. My goal is to make the bipod functional and hopefully durable enough to troop with.

Actual-3DModel-04_zpsukthdgam.jpg

I don't think I'll be adding the spikes to the bottom of the bipod feet because it'll only cause the DLT to slide around on the tips when the bipod is deployed. Instead I am thinking of replacing the spikes with rubber feet used for furniture which will help keep the DLT from sliding around on smooth concrete floors. Not sure what I'll do about the spring for the bipod legs. I may just omit them since they're not critical to complete this build. As far as surface finish I think I will leave some of the striations visible to imitate rough tooling marks seen on many surviving MG34s.

• Like 2

More parts modeled. Lots of detail was added but may be omitted in the final design depending on how well they print. Most of the levers, pins and the rear sight will be separate to allow them to move or be pressed into place and appear more accurate.

Actual-3DModel-06_zpsdfejvhfe.jpgActual-3DModel-05_zpsrp25cfe9.jpg

My test print of this piece was successful but did not have the detailed features of the current model. It did achieve a secondary goal of mine which was to integrate the existing connectors into the final design. This will allow for separation of the barrel assembly and receiver/stock, making it smaller and more portable when transporting to and from troops.

Actual-Print-07_zpsnm9zwzyi.jpgActual-Print-08_zpsdgzitlbg.jpg

• Like 1

More parts have been modeled, printed and assembled.

Actual-Print-06_zpsd9kgvdhz.jpg

Another angle of my DLT19 so far. This is a composite image.

Actual-Print-05_zpsil0zago2.jpg

Here's a comparison with a friend's DLT-19 which was cast from a real MG34. It's not bad for just using reference photos and "guestimating" my measurements. I'm pleased with my results so far.

Actual-Print-04_zpsogb7rho9.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

great work so far. Are your files public domain ? :-)

That's a very interesting question ;-)

You've done such good job on the details. Awesome work.

Edited by TK-71715

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow wow and more wow.... i do my dlt19 blaster with pipe metod and hasbro diys blaster... buy the attachment you do is amazing... i wondering if u can share or sale this model please... im from Chile... a little far away from you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

As chaskass just said, I've been in the planning of builging one with a "cheapo" dollar store "trooper-styled" blaster, and add components to it to look like a custom DLT-19.  I got most of the parts, but needed an attachment method and greeblies.  This topic will help me out a lot.  

I own a 3D printer myself as well.