Legal Sterling Conversion In Cali

cjdesign

unique canes blaster build from sterling...

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swste11.html

"Stormtrooper Blaster is full length and weight utilizing all metal parts. The selector switch works, the trigger assembly works, and folding metal stock works. The receiver is solid metal with no moving parts. The Dummy Magazine Shell is not functional and is removable from the housing with the release button. The Stock works perfectly and swings out to lock into the spring loaded butt cap, folds under and locks into place. The Actuator Handle is welded in place for realism. This is the Original Sterling SMG Dummy SMG!"

unique canes blaster build from sterling...

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swste11.html

"Stormtrooper Blaster is full length and weight utilizing all metal parts. The selector switch works, the trigger assembly works, and folding metal stock works. The receiver is solid metal with no moving parts. The Dummy Magazine Shell is not functional and is removable from the housing with the release button. The Stock works perfectly and swings out to lock into the spring loaded butt cap, folds under and locks into place. The Actuator Handle is welded in place for realism. This is the Original Sterling SMG Dummy SMG!"

I think you'd better get the bare Sterling from Unique Canes or at least their simple conversion instead of the one posted above, which has some inaccurate parts.

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/brstprt.html

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swstbl.html

And you might be able to get more accurate Hengstler counter, scope and scope rail to upgrade it.

I think you'd better get the bare Sterling from Unique Canes or at least their simple conversion instead of the one posted above, which has some inaccurate parts.

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/brstprt.html

http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/swstbl.html

And you might be able to get more accurate Hengstler counter, scope and scope rail to upgrade it.

it was for the masses... I'm not going to buy, just an illustration of legal sterling builds out there. He says he welds a 1 inch pipe into the receiver, and basically builds a bapty.

Edited by cjdesign

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to go through with building a real Sterling blaster - or even an Airsoft version (what I ended up building) - you will probably want to use it for display purposes only. And maybeee high-profile Trooper events where you'll be on camera (assuming you are 501st... or joining). Taking it to conventions and normal events will not be a good idea. For multiple reasons - #1. It will be SUPER heavy, and carrying it around even for an hour will make you regret bringing it. Trust me.  #2. You'll have issues at weapons check. Sometimes they approve it, sometimes they don't - depends on the con. And for any troops at schools, hospitals, or charity events - it's 100% not allowed. #3. This is the biggest one for me... it's dangerous. You're going to be posing for pictures with lots of kids and people who don't know how limited your field of vision is. Sometimes with kids, they run up right next to you and you may not even be aware of it. And if you're holding that solid metal gun at waist level (AKA face-level for a kid) - you are likely to smack a kid in the face/head with it. Or even bump/scrape it up against an adult's nice clothes or arms, etc. You don't want to be THAT guy - the Stormtrooper who hit a kid in the face with a metal gun, do you? 99% of 501st guys who troop often - we all carry rubber/hyperfirm/plastic blasters. It's just way safer and easier in the long run. And they still look great in pictures! That's my advice - good luck!  

If you decide to go through with building a real Sterling blaster - or even an Airsoft version (what I ended up building) - you will probably want to use it for display purposes only. And maybeee high-profile Trooper events where you'll be on camera (assuming you are 501st... or joining). Taking it to conventions and normal events will not be a good idea. For multiple reasons - #1. It will be SUPER heavy, and carrying it around even for an hour will make you regret bringing it. Trust me.  #2. You'll have issues at weapons check. Sometimes they approve it, sometimes they don't - depends on the con. And for any troops at schools, hospitals, or charity events - it's 100% not allowed. #3. This is the biggest one for me... it's dangerous. You're going to be posing for pictures with lots of kids and people who don't know how limited your field of vision is. Sometimes with kids, they run up right next to you and you may not even be aware of it. And if you're holding that solid metal gun at waist level (AKA face-level for a kid) - you are likely to smack a kid in the face/head with it. Or even bump/scrape it up against an adult's nice clothes or arms, etc. You don't want to be THAT guy - the Stormtrooper who hit a kid in the face with a metal gun, do you? 99% of 501st guys who troop often - we all carry rubber/hyperfirm/plastic blasters. It's just way safer and easier in the long run. And they still look great in pictures! That's my advice - good luck!  

Thanks for the advice... if I build a real semi-auto gun out of it, it will be locked up in a gun safe. Right now it's still a parts kit, so it's a moot point.

Edited by cjdesign

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Purchased a solid core 10" aluminum rod. Painted it with Eastwood crackle coat and epoxied the back part of a demilled barrel to the top. Now I have a solid structure for my parts kit to rest. From separate parts kit to a nice looking display piece. Onto the doopy's...

hGx7JOZ.jpg

Inserted into shroud:

myPHwKc.jpg

with pistol grip:

IAnG22r.jpg

slide on stock:

5hAQ2nm.jpg

complete:

uTuZcxf.jpg

rOPaCUx.jpg

4NtZLP0.jpg

Very nice idea. It might not be 100% accurate, but you won't have any issues with the law

Thanks! I'm happy with the overall result. I took it one step further and secured with 3 large zip ties and it held together quit well. I was able to handle it like a real prop. It's a great display piece and will most likely not see the light of day.

It has great weathering and characteristics that I will try to recreate on my current doopy's build.

Wish me luck!!

Edited by cjdesign