themaninthesuitcase

Themaninthesuitcase DoopyDoo build

Hi Chris,

Going to give this a go, I have placed my order on shapways.. thanks for all yr work!

Cheers Bryn

• Like 1

Thanks Bryn!

For now I'll stick the link here until the shop is a bit more full/I get told where it's supposed to be.

None of the parts have a mark up on them.  I can set one but I haven't as I want to give back.  The price is what shape ways charge for the part but saves you the hassle of uploading and waiting etc.  It also means I can monitor the success rate of the prints in each material etc.

I've added the power cylinders and the stock cube for now.  I will add the flash guards after I test the new model, and the other bits once I've tested the fit more.  I'm also going to try sprue the pin to the block to save some cost.

Currently parts are available in white or for a bit more black flexible plastic.  If people would like other materials, like the metallic plastic, let me know and I can enable them.

link: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/suitcaseprops

• Like 1

Thanks Chis,

I am on holidays at the moment and i suppect that the printed parts are waiting for me at my local post office.. Will look out for the new flash guards..

Will post some pics when I get back onto my build.

Cheers bryn

Just got an email to say the first few parts have printed successfully from the store!  There's parts in all 3 materials so will be great to see how they come out as I'm thinking of the black and metallic for the parts I need to re-order.

In the grand tradition of spending all your pay on the day you get it I've ordered the updated flash guards and a new front sight unit with the larger hole.

The flash guards I decided to try "metallic plastic" and the sight is in black strong and flexible, so the same as the other parts just in black. The metallic is just a curiosity, and may look better if the paint chips. The front sight again is to try out the material.

I also ordered some 5mm OD brass tube to make a pivot for the stock cube with.

I also had a thought about a way to smooth the powdery finish on the parts, especially the power cylinders. Whilst you can order the parts polished it costs more and for most a quick rub on some sand paper is fine. On the power cylinders there's lots of bits that the paper and polishing system wouldn't reach. So after some reading I've decided to try some humbrol varnish which is self leveling. I'll test this on the old flash guards or front sight and see how that works.

• Like 2

Uh, please keep us updated on this. Have seen videos to smoothen the surface with Actone vapor or by spraying pure Acetone on the material.

But these methods only work with ABS plastic. My shapeway parts did not react in any way when I dripped pure Acetone on them.

Depending on the part, a rough surface is no problem. On the power cylinders however, it needs to be smooth - and there are a lot of "hard to reach" spots on those... :)

Edited by T-Jay

Uh, please keep us updated on this. Have seen videos to smoothen the surface with Actone vapor or by spraying pure Acetone on the material.

But these methods only work with ABS plastic. My shapeway parts did not react in any way when I dripped pure Acetone on them.

The Shapeways parts I received were done in white nylon - if yours were the same, maybe that is why acetone didn't react?

I received the updated front sight in black flexible plastic and the flash guards in "metallic" plastic.

24150900804_5e57b0f7b6_z.jpg

3D printed front sight, on the sprue by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

As you can see the front sight is now on a sprue to reduce cost, and the grub screw hole is fractionally larger. I used a M4 x 5mm cone point screw and it's a great fit. The larger hole makes it far easier to thread now too. The print quality on this also seems much better, the roundness of the holes and pin is spot on, unlike the white part. This could be the material, the updated layout or even just a different printer. Either way much happier with this part and it's the one I'll use.

24411391339_6c43b72eca_z.jpg

New front sight by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Here I've used a torch to highlight the assembled part, no glue. You can see the grainy finished well here. A bit of time on a sanding sponge will fix most of that though. The sprue was remove with a scalpel but you could you anything from a box cutter to some side cutters. The scalpel just means I don't need to do any more cleanup.

If you want one its now available on the shapeways store. As before, I see no profit if you buy one, just the raw parts and shipping cost. I've also added the stl files to the link I shared before.

24661235232_cd40eca2e8_z.jpg

3D printed flash guards by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

I also received the updated flash guards. I went with metallic so when they inevitably take a chip they might look a bit better. Whilst the parts sizing seems good, I'm yet to remove the sprue to check on the blaster, the finish isn't so good. It's incredibly grainy, much worse that the other materials, which is disappointing. I'm sure I can fix it with the sanding sponge but I have disabled the material on all the models. I haven't enabled this on the store yet as I need to check them for fit first.

I also got some Humbrol matt varnish to try test as a help to fill in some of the grain. I tested this on the old flash guards and sadly it seemed to react with the material. However I did hit the power cylinders with my, now well worn, sanding sponge and it seems much better. I'll get a new one and give it a 2nd go. I think with that done a couple of coats of primer and some careful sanding it should be okay.

• Like 3

Just ordered the power cylinders, thanks.<br>

Any link to a counter box or scope.<br><br>

I have the Dooley pipe kit on the way so I'm collecting my materials and parts <br><br>

Thanks in advance <br>

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Chris<br><br>

This has been a really useful thread for a noob like me who is just starting out with my first build. <br><br>

I think it is amazing that you have spent your time developing spare parts for 3D printing and have happily allowed others to use them. Myself included in that last statement. I have received my parts from shapeways and now need to find the time to progress my build.<br>

I just hope I can do your parts justice. <br><br>

Thanks for your hard work making my life easier.<br><br>

Cheers<br>

Brian

• Like 2

Hi All,

So i have started to used some of the prints in my dooply build, here are couple of pics of the bolt end in the folding stock.. I think it looks pretty good!

w0OEYKvl.jpg

THxeS65l.jpg

EPykSY1l.jpg

Cheers Bryn

P.S

a couple of shots of my hand made front sight mod against the print..

7lXNITbl.jpg

NxyvZZtl.jpg

am working on power cylinders now!

Edited by sla73
  • Like 2

Hello there chaps,

Have done some work on the power cylinders, here they are before painting. Doing the red wires at the front was a bit hard as i think the print of the capacitors are sitting forward more than they do in the pics from Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) replicas...

Anyway pretty happy, lets see what they look like painted..

vEbmDsOl.jpg

oYQLNmil.jpg

307byHql.jpg

EJfAQuql.jpg

Cheers Bryn.

Edited by sla73
  • Like 1

Looks like you've got a pretty good build happening there Bryn. Why don't you start your own build thread and show us everything!

• Like 3

Doing the red wires at the front was a bit hard as i think the print of the capacitors are sitting forward more than they do in the pics from Andy's (PlayfulWolfCub) replicas...

Just had a look at his and I see what you mean, mine stick out the back a lot more. I probably could reduce them on model. Editing existing parts is a pain on 3D models!

I always figured the cylinders where more of a 1st draft but I'm not sure when I'll go back and address these. I also need to find some proper measurements. I looked everywhere and only found 1 set of measurements (which is what most of this is based on).  Even the playfulwolfcub PDF doesn't have any measurements for most of the parts.

• Like 1

Looks like you've got a pretty good build happening there Bryn. Why don't you start your own build thread and show us everything!

Yea i know, i should lol :)..  I have been threatening myself, to do just that.. And the last thing I want to to hijack Chris's thread!

Edited by sla73

Yea i know, lol :)..  I have been threatening myself to do just that..

Are you on our local forums aswell? Share the love there too :)

• Like 1

Are you on our local forums aswell? Share the love there too :)

Hi Ian, Yep.. I am :)

Just had a look at his and I see what you mean, mine stick out the back a lot more. I probably could reduce them on model. Editing existing parts is a pain on 3D models!

I always figured the cylinders where more of a 1st draft but I'm not sure when I'll go back and address these. I also need to find some proper measurements. I looked everywhere and only found 1 set of measurements (which is what most of this is based on).  Even the playfulwolfcub PDF doesn't have any measurements for most of the parts.

No worries Chris, I think they still look good..

There will soon be a little power cylinder comparison in my current build thread.

In a few weeks I hope to reach the point of installing the add-ons to turn the resin Sterling into an E-11.

In one of these updates I am going to compare the 3D-printed power cylinders from Chris with a very rare metal version from Andy (PlayfulWolfCub).

What I can already say is, Chris did an incredible job on his 3D design. It is very close to the real thing...

• Like 2

There will soon be a little power cylinder comparison in my current build thread.

In a few weeks I hope to reach the point of installing the add-ons to turn the resin Sterling into an E-11.

In one of these updates I am going to compare the 3D-printed power cylinders from Chris with a very rare metal version from Andy (PlayfulWolfCub).

What I can already say is, Chris did an incredible job on his 3D design. It is very close to the real thing...

Thats nice to hear! The goal was an affordable option that was about right due to the doopy supplied ones only being fit for the bin. I tried to make them as accurate as I could given poor reference I had so to hear they are close is brilliant!
  • Like 1