Sentry71

Sentry's ANH E11 Build

Today, I attacked the section I dreaded most - the power cylinders.

Turns out, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The Dremel made short work of the existing resin fuses. A little ABS work, a modeling saw to cut the fuses from the aluminum bar Tino provided, and some green stuff magic - and the parts are ready!  I'm letting the green stuff cure overnight, so that it is less likely to move around during final assembly of this part.

power_cyl1.jpg

There are a few things I did NOT do: I did not thin the base, and I did not reshape the section holding up the main cylinders. The base probably would only be noticed by other troopers, so I'll leave that for a bit and see if my mind changes on that. I like the form on the support section, so unless there is a really compelling reason, I may leave it as is.

power_cyl2.jpg

I don't have a photo of the capacitors (used some spare 40K sprue), since those were just finished. I'm also deciding on how I want to put the red insulated wire in place, as it seems there are a few ways that can be done, according to the different tutorials I have read.

If I can borrow the neighbor's workshop tomorrow, I am hoping to drill out the scope and bend the scope rail. I would like to get to painting before the weekend, since this might be the last nice painting weather for the year. 

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

Power cylinders were finished off yesterday, and I was able to get to work on the scope rail.

I ended up adding the details to do the "A" style power cylinder support, though my side angles may be a bit shallow going toward the base. I also took a lot of time before settling on how I was going to put the red insulated wires on as well. I'm really happy with how they came out, though.

power_cyl3.jpg

Bending the aluminum was ok, but grinding out the tongue for the front of the rail was a challenge. My cutting wheels didn't seem to want to cut, so I ended up using a bench grinder to get the basic shape, and then went back to a sanding wheel to get the form of the outer barrel housing. Overall, I'm glad it worked in the end. 

I put the scope and counter on the rail for a test. Everything seems to be in the right position.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 3

The rest of today's work involved cutting out the front sight guard, the end cap clip, and a bit of work to create the recesses for the lenses in the scope, and the window on the counter.

parts1.jpg

The counter needs a little love to clean it up still.

The scope was not drilled all the way through, but has enough space in the cavity behind the lens locations to give it a little depth. I would rather not use glue to hold the lenses in, considering how CA glue will frost the lenses, so I am going to see if I can find the right size O rings, and use regular white school glue to hold those in place. Black Sugru would probably work well, but I only bought white (for my bucket, when it arrives).

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

My Shapeways order arrived today!

I ordered the front sight housing and the inner bolt slot extension, using the 3D models provided by Chris (thanks again!!). The total order including shipping was around $10, and took six days to arrive. I ordered the parts in "white strong and flexible", which turned out to be nylon. This is important because the inner bolt extension was a little too tall for the slot I put it in, so it needed to be reduced slightly. When I tried to Dremel the material, the nylon was melting rather than "sanding". I did end up using a sanding drum to work the excess off slowly, and the finished item sits perfectly into the slot. I cut a bit of ABS strip to mimic the clearing strip and glued that to the top of it.

I also added an ABS "cover" to the counter to smooth it out. Edges were covered a bit of green stuff as well, to try and even them up. It may take another layer to square up before it is complete, however.

shapeways_parts.jpg

I'm debating on whether to cut a dovetail slot into the top of the blaster, or just round off the base of the front sight housing. I've seen a few threads explaining the process of cutting out the dovetail, but considering my luck so far with the front of this blaster, I'm not sure I want to tempt fate. 

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 4

Very nice work so far. Try the dovetail mod - there is nothing that can't be fixed with your green stuff :D

Seriously, do what you feel comfortable with. If you have a bad feeling about cutting into the pipe, just round the lower base of the front sight housing.

• Like 2

Great work on your build Gary. Definitely try the dovetail mod. It was a fairly straight forward approad with low tech tools. I carefully measured exactly where I wanted the dovetail channel and used my trusty Tamiya mini hobby saw to make the angled cuts. The rest of it was done with some carving tools to chip away the resin and then use a variety of small file to level things out and get a smooth surface. The end result is more pleasing and as Tino said. If you cut or remove too much here or there, the green stuff can be used to repair your mistakes. Just take your time and keep looking at the reference photos of that part and how it looks. Good luck if you decide to try it!

• Like 1

How would you rate the strong and flexible plastic other than the sanding issues? Would you use it again or would you change to something like the acrylic or maybe even the one with metal powder in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris, I would rate it highly. It is definitely strong - I haven't tried to flex it. :D

Even though the material is a little difficult to work with using a Dremel, sanding it with sandpaper leaves a very smooth finish, even with 220 grit. Once I was able to grind the bottom down to about the level I wanted, I sanded the bottom smooth. It takes a bit of work, but worth it in the end. I would happily spend the $10 over again (and literally half of that cost was shipping).

Since I know I will be painting over it, I didn't order it with any colors. Using black or metallic might be good as a base for weathering, but that isn't something I was concerned about.

Brian - good point about the hobby saw. I didn't consider that. I have the saw and the files, so I could probably use the saw for the initial cuts, Dremel the excess middle out carefully, and finish with the files. Thanks for the suggestion!

And as Tino said, there is nothing that can't be fixed with green stuff!

------

UPDATE: Using the suggestions above, I was able to do this mod in less than 15 minutes, with just the hobby saw and the files (and a little 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around the files themselves). Thanks guys for the pointers on how to make this happen!

sight.jpg

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 3

HE DID IT ! :jc_doublethumbup:  Very nice - and very fast, woah. Looks damn good.

• Like 1

Awesome dovetail channel! Great to see you did it and it looks perfect. 15 minutes is a record! I think sat there with the hobby saw that long thinking how I was going to make my first cut. Keep up he great work!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone... I was surprised how quickly it went as well, and have to attribute the speed to the tools I was using (and having a plan based on other threads I had read).

dovetail_diagram.jpg

(Apologies for the MS Paint level of detail here - obviously NOT to scale)

First two cuts were done to set the outside (red).

Next two cuts were done to remove wedges of material and clean out a lot of the area that would need to be sanded otherwise (blue).

This left a very small amount of actual filing to be done (green).

I wish I could say it was skill, but it was more a combination of luck, skill and positive reinforcement from the community here. :)

And a pic of the detail after it was all finished, green stuff'd and pins added to the sight guard itself.

sight_guard.jpg

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

Nice build so far!

Looks like allot of detail is going into this :)

Just a small tip... (it's the little things, right)

The screw in the grip would be better if the slot for the screwdriver is pointing to the LO CK position ''lock''.

The FR EE ''Free'' position would mean that the whole trigger group would come loose..

Cheers :D

Edited by Tr00per

Temperatures were just at the edge of allowable for spray painting, so I took a chance today. 

The surface came out a bit splotchy in some areas, but overall it looks ok. I still haven't weathered it, added gloss to the handle, or put the lenses into the scope, but everything else is basically in place. So, 95% done.

painted1.jpg

Metal areas were painted with GW Boltgun Metal, with Mithril Silver used on the clearing strip and other shinier surfaces.

And of course, I had to do an action shot with the pseudo-armor.   :smiley-sw013:  (Hood/bucket on just didn't look good, so you get my face instead.)

action.jpg

Still a little work to go, but I am so happy with the results - and kind of sad that the project is about over.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

Knowing exactly what you mean, Gary :)

Can't wait to see the lenses in your scope and the weathering on this blaster...

Last night was scope night. :)

After dry brushing a bit of brass paint onto the scope, I added eyeglass screws to the side of the scope body, and glued them into place. 

Then, I added my small lens to the front end. Unfortunately, it wedged itself into the opening a bit oddly, and when I tried to remove it, I ended up pushing it all the way down. So, there it will stay. I had to touch up the front edges, and in the process, I apparently specked the lens with paint - and didn't notice until today. I can't use the other lens from the monocle, since it was ruined in a failed attempt to adhere it to an O-ring. So, it will stay as is.

The larger lens was set carefully onto a ring of green stuff inside the hollowed out scope body, and then gently removed, leaving a nice impression in the green stuff for the lens to sit on. Once the green stuff dried, I painted it black. The lens set very nicely in place, but still had a bit of space around it. So, I used a 7/8" rubber O-ring to "fill in" the area. Not ideal, but it works.

scope.jpg

The entire body of the blaster was given a light dry brush of metallic grey, to bring out the edges. It worked better in some areas than others. I took a different black (semi-gloss) paint, and painted over the grip, the section of the counter that is supposed to be plastic, and the T tracks. I like how the difference in sheen gives it more character. I found my "smoke" ink as well, so I added a wash of smoke in areas that I expected could see a bit of powder burn (muzzle, flash hole, ejection port, and charging handle slot). I tried not to let it get too thick (brush on, wipe off immediately), but of course there is always a spot or two. I think it worked out well.

smoke_ink.jpg

Edited by Sentry71

So, I am calling this one DONE. I love how it came out, and I have everyone in this thread to thank for the kind words of encouragement and the sharing of your knowledge to make it happen. My bucket is off to each and every one of you!  :smiley-sw013: 

The only mods I am intending (eventually) are:

1) to change out the counter number to match my TK number, when it happens

2) add the serial number onto the bolt

A few last hi-res pics for those that like that kind of thing.

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

final5.jpg

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 3

I forgot the most important part!

Commence eating of the gummy bears!  Sehr gut!

Thanks Tino!

gummi.jpg

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 3