Force Awakens Heavy Gunner cannon build

Looking at this picture, what an awkward way to shoot. The gun though supported by the mono pod, is being balanced with the right hand holding the Geisha post (as Germain puts it), and the left hand is on the trigger at a 45-90 degree angle? If this is correct, to artist has obviously never held a gun before.  

• Like 2

The rear telescopic monopod is there as a stabiliser for when the blaster is being used in a static position where the need for free-form swivel / elevation is not required. :)

Heavy%20Gunner%20blaster.07_zpsk1iavkkc.

B)

Clint, brilliant work matey, really loving this build. :duim:

Edited by Billhag
  • Like 1

The rear telescopic monopod is there as a stabiliser for when the blaster is being used in a static position where the need for free-form swivel / elevation is not required. :)

Heavy%20Gunner%20blaster.07_zpsk1iavkkc.

B)

Clint, brilliant work matey, really loving this build. :duim:

Wow, you England guys keep pulling out the surprises! :) Hadn't seen that angle before. Cool! Any chance you could also pull out a functional accurate stand that I can slap on this thing? ;)

I've been busy repairing and adjusting my TFA the last few days, but I did manage to get my hardwood side pieces for the trigger area cut out and glued. It wasn't nearly as easy as it should have been because my available tools jump from a dremel up to a miter or table saw. Cutting this and keeping any of the curves intact was a total pain, but I did find some cool mini saw blade Dremel attachments that helped a lot. You'll notice that the shape is different than the base pine wood trigger. That's because of the more recent pics that showed a slightly different shape than I had originally determined. I'll dremel and bondo it up to make it nice and even and smooth.

20151112_211147_zpshwpap63v.jpg

20151112_205938_zpsw0jqutnd.jpg

20151112_210916_zpsiimjpreu.jpg

20151112_210919_zps9hn7nshp.jpg

What did you do for the harness? I looked everywhere for a Flyye FY-VT-C011-BK but can't find them in stock. I find the O/D ones on Ebay though...but then you need to do a good dye job...

What did you do for the harness? I looked everywhere for a Flyye FY-VT-C011-BK but can't find them in stock. I find the O/D ones on Ebay though...but then you need to do a good dye job...

I actually ordered that component from Chris Hale, who formed the white boxes, molded the rubber straps and everything. I'm not sure what he sourced for the vest. I'll post pics later.

Ok, I finally finished up the trigger area last night (minus the little extension that hangs down in front. I'm pretty happy with it. The proportions are a little off after seeing some more pics, but I did cut some pieces to fill out the inside area bit and get closer to the proportions from the pics. I know for one thing the bottom bulge on the front of the handle isn't quite right, but I didn't want to rely on bondo for significant pieces because they may too easily break off. 

Insert pieces to shrink the hole a bit and get closer to proportion.

20151113_205952_zpsbyxdunkr.jpg

Bondo work...

20151113_230624_zpsdh0geqhz.jpg

20151113_230616_zpscdgr2orb.jpg

With sanding and then glazing...

20151114_091338_zps6801tgsl.jpg

20151114_091351_zpsrcbuksxd.jpg

20151114_091345_zpsha4rk9gx.jpg

And then a coat of primer to find smaller imperfections. A touch more glazing should finish her off.

20151114_093423_zpsmtebl6er.jpg

20151114_093432_zpsizuldbzi.jpg

20151114_093442_zpswlsgityo.jpg

• Like 2

I actually ordered that component from Chris Hale, who formed the white boxes, molded the rubber straps and everything. I'm not sure what he sourced for the vest. I'll post pics later.

Thanks - we're getting closer to premier so really want my vest done by then.

That vest looks mint and looks more comfortable than the one I served with. Mr. Hale would make a stellar "SAR Tech" for the military. Loving the progress on your BFG and can't wait to see the rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, got some work done on the last piece that I was hesitant to start. It's the weird pop out vertical box thing behind the trigger. After getting the stock and trigger and top box done, it was a little easier to figure out the proportions since once you start building one of these, you really have to follow proportions of your own gun vs the pics. Anyways, here's the first part of it.

20151115_140053_zpsclfjwdg3.jpg

20151115_140110_zpsw5oaceve.jpg

20151115_140122_zpswwzyj8w2.jpg

I also have two guys working on the 3D prints for my greeblies so hopefully one of those comes out. It's been tricky and required re-working and re-slicing to get it more printable, but I think maybe I have it figured out now.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-14%20at%209.01.5

• Like 2

I'm loving this thread. And pretty much any thread discussing the heavy gunner (my dream build).

Thanks Ben!

Here's another update. I was actually quite excited to get this piece framed out because it was pretty tough to figure out. The remaining parts to it should go pretty fast now that I have it framed out and the majority of the pieces built.

20151117_205510_zpsoe9iys0t.jpg

20151117_205458_zpsf53dkiu3.jpg

20151117_205451_zpso6qfuorw.jpg

In other exciting news, I received pics of one of the two 3D printing sources I'm trying and the parts look fantastic! Very little cleanup. Let's just hope now that the scale is right because I really have no idea until I put it on the gun.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-17%20at%209.01.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-17%20at%209.01.3

• Like 1