What are the Pros Cons and Qualitys of AM 2.0

AM 2.0 armor quality  

5 members have voted

1. 1. 1 to 10, 10 being tops please rate AM 2.0 armor

there are tons of am 2.0 builds on this site. pics, tutorials etc - check um out. I choose the am 2.0 because I discovered it fit my body type better and in the 2.0 run they redesigned each piece of armor to be more accurate.

A big plus is that it comes trimmed but to each his own. It's all subjective.

Edited by cjdesign

I ordered AM 2.0 because of the wait time and cost. I like that it's pretty substantial in thickness and I've only gotten a small crack in an obscure spot that isn't noticeable at all. I did however use MTK for the helmet instead of the AM helmet. I also have a chest, back and shoulder bridges from another maker and to me they seem more fragile with less give than AM. It was easy (for me) to build but I didn't get the newest chest and back with my kit therefore won't be able to apply for Centurion status. If I had more money and patience, I probably would have ordered something else, but I am happy with my AM kit.

Edited by cm325i

Tim wanted to know "What are the new improvements?" That site clearly shows the differences in the versions. that's all. I'm not advocating for any person or entity. Take this with a grain of salt... I acquired mine via Trooper Gear

Edited by cjdesign

Tim wanted to know "What are the new improvements?" That site clearly shows the differences in the versions. that's all. I'm not advocating for any person or entity. Take this with a grain of salt... I acquired mine via Trooper Gear

I do see where you are coming from and how you are trying to help.  :duim:   The only reason I chimed in is because according to Mathias in the thread that I posted, this website does not show the differences between the versions.  According to Mathias this website is selling NE and not AM2.  So the difference you see in those comparison photos are the old AM and NE.  Not AM2. 

I just wanted to post that thread on there for Timothy to read so he would know that he wasn't looking at AM2.  ;)

I have the AM 2.0 kit, I really like it.  I had originally chose RT-Mod, but long story short it didn't happen, and I was able to snag an unclaimed kit from AM's last run in August, so within a month I had my armor.  I'm 5' 11'' and average build, long arms, long legs (I wear a 34'' inseam w/o heels), long torso.  The length of all the pieces has been perfect so far, no trimming down at all.  (RT-Mod will fit troopers up to 6' 5'' and 230 lbs, I think, give or take how the weight's distributed).  

Nice thickness, feels like it's going to hold up.  A lot of return edges to trim, which I don't mind so much, but again, to each his own.  The hand guards are HUGE and I trimmed about 1'' off.  The kidney, butt, and I think it was abs all had shim tabs, so if shims were needed, that would be a benefit.  I trimmed them all off (easy, straight lines), so if you don't need shims, one more thing to trim.  To my knowledge, the 2.0 chest is okay for Centurion, unlike 1.0 (even the untrained eye can see the difference between them), but the back plate will need to be swapped out for Centurion.  It came with bubble green and a flimsy sheet of flat green.  Also came with ANH Hero and Stunt decals, so if you're like me, and doing ESB, you'll have to order new decals (if doing decals, Centurion ESB requires decals).  I'll be replacing the lenses with flat smoke (I really don't like green- personal preference).  I'll also most likely be changing out the Hovi tips, if you don't, they'll need to be painted black (they come gray).

It's not 100% symmetric, if that means anything to you, like one bicep has the thumbprint dent, one doesn't, one interior forearm is more curved at the top (for elbow bend) than the other.  I've seen threads where people add a thumbprint dent and trim the lesser curve to match the deeper one, I've seen them leave it.  

AM came at recommendation by several of my squad members, and the price was good, as was the wait time.  I used troopersupplies(at)hotmail(dot)com for ordering/questions.  Good customer service.  

I have a ESB build thread up, too, if you're interested.  I like that even if there's not a lot of ESB threads, they'res a ton ANH, and most of it is the same, so lots of easy to access help, which is huge for a first-time builder like myself.  I'm working on the helmet now, and should have new pictures up this weekend.  

So, long story short, so far, I'm very happy with my AM; I'd recommend it, as long as the above are noted, and personal preference and all.  If you want more details or specific pics, PM me.  Hope that was helpful!   :)

here are the am 2.0 pieces...------------------

Quote:

" The "new suit" in some of those comparisons (mytkarmor.com) is a suit we pulled for a little while called "NE". This suit is no longer made due to some recast claims on a couple of pieces. The AM 2.0 molds are newer than either of those shown in those pics. The site needs to be updated. " - TG

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

what's wrong with the back plate? :huh:

"but the back plate will need to be swapped out for Centurion."

No idea.  The CRL just says "AM back plate is replaced with a more screen accurate version" for Centurion (you're good for basic and Expert Infantryman).  I have a feeling if they were side by side you'd probably be able to spot the difference.  If anyone knows I'm curious if there's a specific defect or it's just not up to new standards.  

Edited by coulsonavenged

Am 1.0 is not accepted. AM 2.0 is ok!!

quote: "- 2.0 Back plate completely redesigned to be more accurate and acceptable for all levels of approval" let's spread truth...

nhUjVwS.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Am 1.0 is not accepted. AM 2.0 is ok!!

quote: "- 2.0 Back plate completely redesigned to be more accurate and acceptable for all levels of approval" let's spread truth...

Well sweet!  We're you find that?  I guess the CRL just isn't updated to reflect 1.0 v. 2.0 (they did so for the chest- it specifically states 1.0 chest needs to be upgraded).  I always thought the CRL picture looked an awful lot like AM 2.0, but it's a small picture, and I'm still learning subtle details, so I just figured I missed something...

Well sweet!  We're you find that?  I guess the CRL just isn't updated to reflect 1.0 v. 2.0 (they did so for the chest- it specifically states 1.0 chest needs to be upgraded).  I always thought the CRL picture looked an awful lot like AM 2.0, but it's a small picture, and I'm still learning subtle details, so I just figured I missed something...

Changes to the AM 2.0:

-Helmet has been completely redesigned to be more accurate in overall size, and tube size.  Still maintains our 3 piece design for durability.  Trim lines and screw dimples have been added for easier assembly

-Overlap strips have been removed from the Calves and thighs and will require butt-joint / cover strip method of assembly.  

-Calves have been remade to be more accurate, fit better, and no more over lap strips..

-Thermal Detonator has been redesigned with a new custom extruded abs tube in the correct gray color, with new control pad and caps.

-New shoulder straps, also including smooth ones for TD builds.

-New abdomen and knee belts, more accurate.

-New drop boxes, includes inner drop boxes

-New more accurate knee plates

- chest completely redesigned to be more accurate and acceptable for all levels of approval

- Back plate completely redesigned to be more accurate a d acceptable for all levels of approval

- biceps modified to only one spoon and overlap removed for butt joint / cover strip assembly

-forearms completely resculpted to be more accurate and overlap removed.

- Completely resculpted shoulder bells to be more accurate