Gaskets material question/review

zeroskillz

So I'm not a fan of the thought of wearing rubber sleeves, so I bought some shiny fabric to make some more breathable gaskets. Do these pics below look like it will pass muster? Essentially it's just shiny fabric over the headliner material a lot of people use for neck gaskets.

Also, the CRL says the shoulder, elbow and knee gaskets "shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges", but the neckseal doesn't specify shiny or not:

Neckseal
For 501st approval:
  • Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. No hair or skin should be visible around the neck area. 

Should the neckseal be of the same material? Or will the one I have for my classic TK suffice?

Thanks in advance!

-Ted

gasketTest1.jpg

gasketTest2.jpg

(oh, and let me add that searching up 'rubber fabric' on google may take you to some...erm..."special" places)

Edited by zeroskillz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What material is this? I'd love more mobility around my shoulder joints.

It might be "lame". I'll see if I can verify. They have it at both my local JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. It's thin and stretchy. I spray mounted it to the headliner material available from JoAnn's (mounted to the foamy side) that poeple use for the neck seals. Then a lot of sewing lines into it. A lot of sewing lol.

There is a seller on the boards here selling cloth versions (and rubber), in case you don't want to make them yourself:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31019-imperial-gaskets-more-upgrades/

Here's a pic of some of my progress:

fotk_armgasket.jpg

Here's mounting the headliner foam shape to the shiny cloth:

fotk_armgasket_setup.jpg

I spray mounted it to keep the fabric from bunching up as I sewed the lines into it. (Cut out foam shape to pattern, tape fabric down to counter so it won't move, hit foamy side of arm shape with spray glue--light cote, drop onto fabric, flip it all over and smooth out the fabric). 

Also, mounting the shiny cloth to the foamy side means it moves easily through my sewing machine. My machine really does not like feeding the foam by itself. 

Edited by zeroskillz

It might be "lame". I'll see if I can verify. They have it at both my local JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. It's thin and stretchy. I spray mounted it to the headliner material available from JoAnn's (mounted to the foamy side) that poeple use for the neck seals. Then a lot of sewing lines into it. A lot of sewing lol.

There is a seller on the boards here selling cloth versions (and rubber), in case you don't want to make them yourself:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31019-imperial-gaskets-more-upgrades/

Here's a pic of some of my progress:

fotk_armgasket.jpg

Here's mounting the headliner foam shape to the shiny cloth:

fotk_armgasket_setup.jpg

I spray mounted it to keep the fabric from bunching up as I sewed the lines into it. (Cut out foam shape to pattern, tape fabric down to counter so it won't move, hit foamy side of arm shape with spray glue--light cote, drop onto fabric, flip it all over and smooth out the fabric). 

Also, mounting the shiny cloth to the foamy side means it moves easily through my sewing machine. My machine really does not like feeding the foam by itself. 

My wife would like to give you a job

• Like 2

Has been confirmed that the material is Lame. <br>

Since it is tough to find that here in NV. We are using vinyl with foam backing. Gets the job done in time for the premier, since other gasket makers are on back order.