Weathering

themaninthesuitcase

I've got my DD kit and assorted tart up kits on order and so have been thinking about the painting stage of the build.

Would a product like rub and buff work for weathering vs the silver/black layers of paint and sandpaper approach.

I feel this method would give better chance to fix any screw ups at the weathering stage. Though it make be a shade harder to weather the right parts.

If so what colours would you go for a silver or more of a pewter which I think would be more in keeping.

I used the "dry brush" technique, Chris.  I watched this video on Youtube, but scaled it back quite a bit to make it more subtle, as he went a bit heavy for my particular liking.  I used silver paint, and mixed a tiny amount of black in with it, and used a slightly larger brush.  You can experiment a bit, and if worse comes to worse, hit the areas with the black spray paint again.

For the scope, you can purchase the Testors or Humbrol brass color, and use the same method.  Just don't go too heavy on any of the weathering.

Edited by justjoseph63

I'll give that a watch.  I probably should mention I want "light" weathering.  Don't think hard used battle worn ala Sand Troopers more death star freshly issued but with those inevitable nicks these things pick up and hint at what it's made of (or not made of in this case)

Hi Chris, maybe you also want to check chapter #29 (weathering) from the blaster reference thread...

As sometimes it gets hard to separate between painting and weathering (depending on the used technique), it might make sense to also have a look at chapter #28 (painting).

• Like 1

I agree with the dry brush technique. a stiff bristle brush works best. start with a dab if paint and take it to a dry rag til almost all of the paint is gone, and just brush over the edges in a back n forth motion. it's easier to build up the color than to take it off. just my two cents