E11 and movie theatres

Just curious.... I plan on attending the premiere on 12/17 and wearing my suit for a little before the show at 8pm.

Unfortunately today we live in a time where we have shootings in movie theatres. Has anyone ever encountered push back for having your blaster with you? I think most people would realize it's fantasy but there always is that "one person".  I can't imagine this would be an issue 5 or 10 years ago but things have changed.

If you have encountered any issues how did they get resolved? It should be mentioned that I am going with my family and not a sanctioned 501st event. I was just going to go for a little before the movie and then go enjoy the film.

Some theaters have posted on their website that weapons are not allowed. AMC in particular has this message on their Star Wars tickets page:

Costume Policy:

AMC does not permit weapons or items that would make other guests feel uncomfortable or detract from the movie-going experience. Guests are welcome to come dressed in costume, but we do not permit masks. In short, bring your lightsaber, turn it off during the movie, and leave the blaster and Darth Vader mask at home.
Edited by hupspring

unfortunately  most cinemas have the no weapon or face covered  policy. Shame because a trooper without gun or bucket defeats the point. IF you have your armor ready maybe your garrison can allow you as a guest trooper. I would ask in their boards. 

We're trooping specific events and can wear whatever we want. But they'll know its us. If I walk into a movie theatre in full tk load out...I expect a sudden lead allergic reaction.

Just signed up for 3 troops at the local Cineopolis theater.  Their official corporate policy for these events is that (prop) weapons and full costume are allowed while "working", but that weapons shall not be pointed at anyone at any time, including those taking photos. (Common sense).  Helmets/masks must be removed inside the theater.

As a bonus, they are setting up a charity drive at our location!

The only bad part about these troops is that with 11,000 people expected, I may end up having to park in a different area code.  :D

I spoke to a manager at Cinemark and was told "inside" the theatre you can not wear "masks, face paint, or fake weapons". However, one can be outside the theatre taking pictures or whatever. I would imagine this would be a policy one will find in most theatres.

Edited by ProjectFirestart

• 5 weeks later...

I did see a post about LFL saying not to bring blasters or side arms to the premier, due to the recent events in Paris. Do not know if this is true or not.

Edited by TK-Sonic

I spoke to a manager at Cinemark and was told "inside" the theatre you can not wear "masks, face paint, or fake weapons". However, one can be outside the theatre taking pictures or whatever. I would imagine this would be a policy one will find in most theatres.

Sounds even worse... if it's risky to wield a blaster and a helmet inside a private space like a movie theater for fear of being mistaken as an active shooter, seems like it'd be damn-near suicide to carry a WW2-analogue submachine gun with your face covered (which is illegal in public anyway) outside on the street... Surprised that a manager would even suggest doing that as an alternative.

Edited by jjarmoryinc

Well you'd at least be required to have an orange tip, if not a giant yellow flag that says PROP or something. I'd hope anyone there would recognize the context is very different than even the Batman tragedy, with explicitly invited and fully identified / background-checked 501st members :( This is why I'll be going as a Jedi instead, at least for this particular premier.

The LFL request was made to costume groups in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. No such request was made in North America, that I've been made aware of as of yet.

• Like 2

From what I've heard this has been changed to all regions now

Yeah ... it now applies to ALL events and ALL regions.

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=80612

:angry:

What's your best non-weapon Stormtrooper pose?

Both hands on belt, or one hand over guest's shoulders and other on belt, or if two guests arms over shoulders, or if child, or shorter person, both hands on their shoulders when they're in front. If two kids, then one hand on their shoulder to either side works... Usually while trooping, my blaster is holstered, so this rule makes no difference really.

Both hands on belt, or one hand over guest's shoulders and other on belt, or if two guests arms over shoulders, or if child, or shorter person, both hands on their shoulders when they're in front. If two kids, then one hand on their shoulder to either side works... Usually while trooping, my blaster is holstered, so this rule makes no difference really.

Thanks for this. Makes me a feel a lot better that I might not look too weird without my hands on a blaster. I never know what to do with my hands in public anyway, so holding a blaster was supposed to help. ;)

If this "request" is in effect for, say, the first few weeks of TFA's run, we're also going to have Star Wars movie premieres each year for the next several years to think about, so we might need to open our minds to new non-weapon possibilities long-term. I'm allergic initially, but I can get used to it. I love the "dummy in the holster" idea.

I would also think that broad, rapid compliance to what LFL/Disney is asking might help ease their concerns. Call me naive, but maybe if we always do right by them, trust can be achieved.

And I do like the idea that I can slow down a bit on my blaster builds. :) Too many projects!

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

It's in effect until LFL gives us notice to say otherwise. Leave blasters at home, do not bring them to a trooping event...<br><br>

When kids ask to for me to take my blaster out, I usually say no, as would a police officer, or a soldier... We are military are we not? Sometimes I take it out for the "action shot" but it's usually holstered, with responses "it's against rules, or laws, to have a drawn weapon". To me it adds to the illusion of the Stormtrooper as being a real entity.

Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 1

For those not keeping up with the changes, LFL revised the policy a bit last night. They are still requesting that we leave blasters at home for all Disney/ LFL troops and movie premieres until January 7th. They would prefer that we follow the policy for other troops, but essentially will defer to local units. Legion command is working hard to stay in constant communication with us and LFL on this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1