Ruthar's AM 2.0 TD Build Thread

Plan on doing a run of these? Would be kind of cool to troop with at events where blasters are not allowed at. 

I don't think it would be worth it for anyone to purchase, to be honest. In reality, it was far simpler to build than a set of armor, so anyone on here can do it with a little bit of time. :) Perhaps posting up a guide somewhere would be helpful? Though I don't want to take away from Starbuck's build over on MEPD which is what I based my build on - I made sure to send him a message thanking him for his guidance as I couldn't or wouldn't have done it without the pics. :P

Well if I change my mind, I will be certain to let you know if and when a run starts up! :P

Tested the handplates this afternoon - they seem to hold up well. I originally had them just glued to the gloves, but that was certainly not going to last as they had already begun to pull off. They fit quite snuggly around the gloves and don't seem to move despite some wild arm flailing (for science!) so I think I will call these a success for the time being. At least until I manage to find latex or silicone cheese grater plates! If anyone knows anyone who makes those by the way, do let me know if you can - the folks on MEPD didn't seem to have answers and I'm sure the cheese graters are much rarer than the regular ANH latex handplates.

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

• Like 1

Neat idea! What glue did you use on those straps? E6000? I've never had success with that stuff, seems to take forever to dry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I used E6000 for nearly everything in the armor build, but for the handplates and their straps I went with a gel adhesive by Scotch. It's pretty much the same thing (and slightly more expensive than E6000), but it seems to set quicker than the E6000 does which was great here as the clamps tended to slip into the crevices of the cheese grater handplates. In hindsight, I should have just used two very thin pieces of wood to keep the straps pushed down against the plates and then clamped those instead, but you learn something new everyday I suppose. :P

I probably wouldn't even have to make a mold, to be honest. I could probably just use the underside of the handplate to cast it. That being said, I have literally no idea how to even go about that. :P

I probably wouldn't even have to make a mold, to be honest. I could probably just use the underside of the handplate to cast it. That being said, I have literally no idea how to even go about that.

I think amazon had a silicone kit for like 20 bucks. I've used it and it's pretty nice, you could make a little mold box around it, pour that stuff on a voila, nice clean mold. Then try your silicone or plastic or whatever casting material

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I will investigate the silicone stuff down the road - for now, these newly stitched handplate straps should hold just fine. :)

Some other things this evening - installed a bracket for my Aker voice amp in the chest piece. Waiting on the iComm to arrive this week and I will be making a bracket on the left for that as well. Also installed some better looking mesh and the Aker mic in the helmet. Here are some shots:

The bracket behind the chest piece:
IMG_3694.jpg

With the Aker amp:
IMG_3695.jpg

Mesh (clamped down with magnets) and mic (clamped down with painter's tape):
IMG_3696.jpg

Nice setup Taylor

Thanks, Tony! I've been ooing and ahhing at your electronics and bucket interior, so I had to at least include something for now. :P

And on another note, I'm pleased to announce that I have been accepted into the 501st as TD-12110 this morning. Thanks to everyone here for all your help and advice - words cannot describe how floored I am over how helpful and friendly this community has been. Can't wait to put the bucket on and get out there in the name of the Emperor! Here are some of the approval shots:

2015-11-27-2776.jpg

2015-11-27-2775.jpg

2015-11-27-2769.jpg

2015-11-27-2773.jpg

2015-11-27-2778.jpg

2015-11-27-2823.jpg

2015-11-27-2782.jpg

2015-11-27-2809.jpg

2015-11-27-2800.jpg

2015-11-27-2797.jpg

2015-11-27-2794.jpg

2015-11-27-2803.jpg

2015-11-27-2793.jpg

Another member of the Northeast Remnant and I were discussing the shin armor as well as he thought the same thing. From what I understood, the "curvy" parts of the shins are on the inside to match the more prominent muscles there whereas the "straighter" sides go on the outside. For reference:

quads-glutes-hamstrings-calves-1508D42B3

Obviously my muscles are hardly as toned as this diagram, but that's the guideline I used to put them together. Here are some shots:

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

Another member of the Northeast Remnant and I were discussing the shin armor as well as he thought the same thing. From what I understood, the "curvy" parts of the shins are on the inside to match the more prominent muscles there whereas the "straighter" sides go on the outside. For reference:

quads-glutes-hamstrings-calves-1508D42B3

Obviously my muscles are hardly as toned as this diagram, but that's the guideline I used to put them together. Here are some shots:

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

Thanks for providing the explanation.  Like I said, it could just be me and maybe it is, but something appears "off"...like they're on the wrong legs.  I have the AM 1.0 kit, and the shins are contoured specifically for each leg.  When they're worn on the incorrect leg, it appears "off" and that's the feeling I'm getting right now.  Not trying to be judgmental, just want your TK to look as good as it possibly can. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for providing the explanation.  Like I said, it could just be me and maybe it is, but something appears "off"...like they're on the wrong legs.  I have the AM 1.0 kit, and the shins are contoured specifically for each leg.  When they're worn on the incorrect leg, it appears "off" and that's the feeling I'm getting right now.  Not trying to be judgmental, just want your TK to look as good as it possibly can. :)

No worries at all, I certainly appreciate the feedback! :) I certainly wouldn't want them on the wrong legs either, so I just wanted to put out the thought process here to make sure I was thinking about it the right way.

A few more detail things as I get ready for my first troop this weekend. With 40+ members going, I'm quite excited!  The iComm came in the mail today, so finished up the electronics. Got some foam for the storage bin to make sure things are decently protected, and put some extra foam on the bottoms of the shins as the velcro I had down there was taking layers of the boot paint off. Hopefully this will stop that from continuing.

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

I will spend a little time tomorrow practicing suiting up and walking around with the electronics and things. Want to have a decent feel for being suited for a good chunk of time before Saturday's troop. It's a no blaster troop as well, so I'm looking forward to bringing along the electrobinoculars instead. :)