Very special troop request fulfilled

PiettLives

Following the request from our FISD XO TK-66668 "MechaPumpkin", I'd like to share a troop that I was honored to be a part of. I'd become aware of a family looking for a "Darth Vader" for a sick child. I'd actually suited up for a fund raiser the family had done in October of last year but didn't know it was them until digging further. Their son Hudson was diagnosed with stage IV Neuroblastoma (Cancer) on September 6, 2012 and wasn't responding to treatment anymore. Their doctors had given him about 2 weeks to live.

Although his family didn't tell him I'm sure he knew. After the last Dr visit his parents asked him what he'd like to do and his response was "I'd like to battle Darth Vader in a lightsaber duel!". Without a second thought I contacted our best Vader here in the Tampa Bay Squad and coordinated a visit at their home ASAP. I suited up as well but more to support my squadmate to share the weight of this troop.

We suited up downstairs on a rainy day and I made my way upstairs to announce that Lord Vader had heard that someone had challenged him and he was here to accept. His older brother Grayson was also there to share in this with Hudson. I had made a bunch of "pool noodle" lightsabers and brought them along to let them choose their weapons. I stepped aside and stood guard and watch as SL-5754 spent the next 1.5 hours battling and talking with Hudson.

The family watched from a distance and let the boys have their fun as we fulfilled a 4 year old's dream. Just a few weeks later Hudson was one with the Force. Brian and I attended his Celebration Of Life and brought along our buckets. At the end of the service they showed a video they had made right after that last Dr visit where Hudson and his brother dressed as Vader (Hudson) and Obi Wan (Grayson)as they had their own lightsaber battle with special FX added. The end of the video had photos of our visit.

I've trooped 90 times in my TK armor...this time...I was never more honored to suit up and bring smiles to a little boy and his family!

Thanks for reading

48756d98-c16b-4637-9104-6666361aec7a_zpsf3qsxaza.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 14

Thank you so much for sharing this, Ken.  That giant smile says it all, and I think this is one troop you are going to remember for a long, long time.  Great job, gentlemen.... great job indeed.

• Like 1

Very great story Ken and main reason I joined. Great job and I'm sure it was amazing to be a part of. Buckets off to you both for great work. Very inspiring.

• Like 1

This is such a touching story... I know many people who think that things like this or Make-A-Wish charities are a waste of money that should instead go to research but they couldn't be more wrong. Thanks for sharing OP!

I'd like to know if you'd allow me to share this story on my Facebook profile for my friends and family? I'd have to translate it in French(I'm from Quebec) and only if you're ok with that. I just feel like it's such a heartbreaking story, yet I gives me faith in people...

• Like 1

David, the family has asked that the photos not be shared without their permission. If you'd like to share my words then of course...feel free to do so. Thanks to everyone who posted above. I was truly honored to help the family and wanted to share my story with my TK brothers and sisters. 

David, the family has asked that the photos not be shared without their permission. If you'd like to share my words then of course...feel free to do so. Thanks to everyone who posted above. I was truly honored to help the family and wanted to share my story with my TK brothers and sisters.

This is totally understandable and I respect that for sure. This is a private matter and it must be very sensitive for them. I wouldn't want to cause them any harm however involontary. Thank you for being so generous to him and his family.

This is an amazing and moving story, and in my opinion, the height of why we do this. Hell, it's the height of why you should do anything. To spread joy to all, and especially those who need it most. What you did will help the parents whenever they grieve (which will never truly end). When they ask the one question, "Could we have made our child's short time on earth any better?" they will think of this day, and be at peace with the answer. I recently did an almost identical troop, and although incredibly difficult, it was also extremely rewarding. Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 1