RS armor ABS vs. PVC

I've been talking with Andrea at RS for a few days now about an armor build and I believe that I'm going with the PVC option due to her suggestion that it would be more durable than the standard ABS construction plus it is whiter and shinier than ABS. My concern is will the PVC be as detailed and sharp as ABS? anyone want to chime in with their own suggestions?

I've watched a few videos on how pvc works and the video on the anovos shadow trooper build helps kind of line out what is required of pvc. I'm not an expert but i know that for starters it requires a specific glue for better binds. IMO PVC might be a more durable option, but you could always look it up on the hardness scale. 

I have the PVC armour from RS and it's brilliant white just like you see on screen. I went to Manchester and looked at both and the abs is off white and I didn't like it. That's just my opinion mate. As for its sharpness and detail its exactly the same.

• Like 1

The original armour is not bright white and is the same colour as the ABS RS uses. PVC forms the same as ABS so the sharpness is the same but the PVC is more rigid in comparison. If you want screen accuracy with the metal brackets, go for ABS. If you want an idealised bright white trooper, go for PVC and use snaps and elastics because the PVC is too rigid for the brackets (in my opinion).

• Like 5

Just to clarify when I say on screen I meant what you actually see when you watch the movie. I didn't mean screen Accuracy of the origional material used. In my opinion they look whiter on screen than when I looked at the abs in the workshop

And the feedback I'm getting from RS is that their PVC is more durable for trooping in. I'm way confused now. I have a basic understanding of plastics and understand that ABS is more flexible but the PVC should be tougher. Lucky for me I am very cautious when it comes to my collectibles toys, clothing, whatever. I can seem to make almost anything last forever. I just want the best there is and I don't mind paying for it. But I want to make a wise and informed decision before spending that much cash. The PVC just looked cool to me because its brighter. My biggest concern is after I have it which one will be easier to repair if the need arises.

I have RS PVC but bought in 2012. They seemed to switch to a more rigid PVC since. I ordered replacement parts and the white color didn't match up as it should have and it seemed a bit more rigid to cut. The original PVC kit I have was very thin but also very flexible. Only cracked at the neck so far where I had too much of a return edge . I had it stored on a hanger and the stress on that area caused the crack. My fault for not providing proper storage.

The PVC is certainly brighter than the ABS so I think if you want something with that stands out, go with the PVC. If you are the type of person who wants to go all screen accurate , certainly ABS.

I think they both are prone to crack one way or another . You will be using it for trooping and there is always a risk of some wear and tear. I went through the same confusion about what to buy. Either one will be great. 

Repairs, from what I have read and heard are easier with ABS. 

I have been carerful with my armor at the few troops I went on so far and it has held up well. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I have a set of the RS ABS with the HDPE bucket. I love it, and it will never see a trooping event. The ABS is very thin, very bendy, and I would be afraid of breaking it, and for the cost. no thanks. my plan was always to keep it in the collection as the closest thing I will ever have to owning a real one... I would say, go with the PVC if you plan on trooping with it.  if you are a purist, like me. go with the ABS. :)

• 6 years later...

Hello everyone, 

I am new to this forum and I have ordered from RS my stormtrooper suit - selected ABS vs PVC - has the opinions changed since 2015 on which is better for trooping since 2015?  There are so many threads on this and varying opinions so I guess like technology maybe opinions have changed.

Would love your input.

thank you.

A good thread here on the subject 

Another thread here

And here

Most of our local troopers who have purchased a RS kit have gone for ABS

Also an interesting read here online

• Like 2

Thank you so much this help.  When I get my suit I will offer my thoughts and photos for more feedback and information for everyone. 

Thanks from Canada!   Looking forward to joining soon!  

• Like 1