Sign in to follow this  
Wick

Just a question about rivet...

I wondered if this type of rivet could replace the "Split Rivets"?

2015-10-13%2019.19.35_zpsm2gpwgo1.jpg

2015-10-13%2019.20.07_zpsd23dt25x.jpg

2015-10-13%2019.19.52_zpsfidohrfp.jpg

2015-10-13%2019.19.42_zpsc1rjqvwy.jpg

The only problem I can foresee with that is that it looks as if there would be too much of a gap on each side once you attached it, and you could not make it fit tight enough against the armor, which is usually only around 1.5 mm thick.  

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Rivets are only required at this time for level 3 Centurion status. Even so, the note only states that the originals used split rivets. You don't need to unless you are going for actual replication of the screen used suits -- i.e. beyond Centurion. The only real requirement (and again, only for the highest level of approval) is that the head be rounded or domed, and of the correct size.

I am a believer that it's much easier to do simple things as rivets up to Centurion level right off the bat as opposed to using something like paper brads, etc. and then having to change them out later on. You don't need to for basic approval but why not do it right if you plan on putting something there anyways?

I say yes, these rivets (CAP, or speed rivets as they are called) can replace the Split rivets for Centurion as long as their head has the right diameter.

After all, we accept the opposite for the ammo thigh pack rivets (split rivets instead of CAP rivets are accepted).

The only hazardous thing is that these rivets aren't as secure as split rivets. But if you don't plan to make your side rivets functionnal, then it doesn't really matter.

Edited by The5thHorseman

The link John (TyWebb1075) posted to Echo's sales thread has a bonus...  If (when) you make Centurion, he will refund the money you paid for the rivets, (minus postage).  Truly the meaning of "Troopers helping Troopers"!