Move Along Helmet

Ok so ive had this T*E hdpe helmet laying around for about a month or so and now that im back from holiday i wanted to get this little beauty finished.

When i got the helmet i wasnt sure what i was going to do with it but after getting it signed by Tony Forrest at C 13 this weekend i decided it was going to be a move along helmet.

This is how it arrived about a month ago

TEHDPE010.jpg

TEHDPE009.jpg

TEHDPE008.jpg

TEHDPE007.jpg

I thought the brow was going to be too low for a move along helmet so today i took off the ears and drilled out the rivets and moved the face plate down quite a bit and then drilled and re riveted it back together. These hdpe helmets are really soft and a couple of times i thought i was going to rip the whoe thing to pieces, slowly does it...

Before and after

TEHDPE011.jpg

TEHDPE017.jpg

Then i cut out the teeth and removed the rubber trim and its time for some paint

TEHDPE026.jpg

TEHDPE027.jpg

TEHDPE028.jpg

Hey Scott i was going to do this esb style also, until i had it signed that is...

Anyways the first coat and a half of paint has gone on, i took a pic while it was still wet.

When you read in these threads that paint does not want to stick to this plastic i dont think you really realise how true that is. After the first really thin coat was dry i rubbed a small part with my thumb nail and the paint just came stright off :o

I will give it another coat tomoro and then see how were doing, hopefully i will have this finished by the weekend...

TEHDPE037.jpg

Hey Scott i was going to do this esb style also, until i had it signed that is...

Anyways the first coat and a half of paint has gone on, i took a pic while it was still wet.

When you read in these threads that paint does not want to stick to this plastic i dont think you really realise how true that is. After the first really thin coat was dry i rubbed a small part with my thumb nail and the paint just came stright off :o

I will give it another coat tomoro and then see how were doing, hopefully i will have this finished by the weekend...

TEHDPE037.jpg

Hey Mark,

I went through the same thing almost a year ago when I painted my HDPE bucket, I remmember I had to remove the white paint and start again from scratch. My only advise is to prepare the surface before apply the paint, just try to scratch slightly the helmet with a scotch brite pad. After that, I applied a very thin coat of paint(krylon fusion). Then I sprayed the helmet with multiples coats (three coats) every 40 seconds more or less. Then I put the helmet away for a week. It is very important to put away the helmet for a week once you apply the white colour. This will help to create a stronger bond between the helmet and the paint.

I hope this help ;) , other than that I really like the way the helmet is looking so far.

Cheers

A

Armando is right about putting the lid way for a week or so,i know we all want to get these projects of ours done and dusted but sometimes time is our friend.

I found a UK contact for Krylon paint,(yes mate you can get it in the UK) i will PM hes details phone number etc.

My sandy lid was done by first using wet and dry paper all over ,even took off the ears so i didnt miss any area,then washed the dust off.

then just sprayed the lid with krylon gloss white.first coat you could not see,left for 30 seconds or so then just built it up with 4 layers with a gap of about 30-40 seconds.then i think i put the lid on the top shelf for about 8 days.

I was able to use wire wool on the lid to take the shine off areas as i was making a sandy then used pastal chalks,grey,sand,burnt umber,yellow,cream for the weathering.

It took all that with no chipping or flaking.

2469875354_f7e3d0530a_o.jpg

:D

Armando is right about putting the lid way for a week or so,i know we all want to get these projects of ours done and dusted but sometimes time is our friend.

I found a UK contact for Krylon paint,(yes mate you can get it in the UK) i will PM hes details phone number etc.

My sandy lid was done by first using wet and dry paper all over ,even took off the ears so i didnt miss any area,then washed the dust off.

then just sprayed the lid with krylon gloss white.first coat you could not see,left for 30 seconds or so then just built it up with 4 layers with a gap of about 30-40 seconds.then i think i put the lid on the top shelf for about 8 days.

I was able to use wire wool on the lid to take the shine off areas as i was making a sandy then used pastal chalks,grey,sand,burnt umber,yellow,cream for the weathering.

2469875354_f7e3d0530a_o.jpg

stukatrooper what a cool looking sandy lid would love to see more photos , :duim: armando lookin forward to seeing the progress on your lid

:D

stukatrooper what a cool looking sandy lid would love to see more photos , :duim: armando lookin forward to seeing the progress on your lid

Hey Kev, I got done with my helmet a while a go :rolleyes: , you can see some pictures here if you like

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=1669

Hey Peter,

What a nice lid you have there :duim: I love the used look you apply to it. I went in complete different direction, trying to emulate the "shiny troopers" from the Death Star. Yes you are right Peter, time is your friend, I took my time with mine I think it paid off.

nostripe02.jpg

Cheers

A

Thanks for the tips guys i will check out the link you sent me Peter.

I have just given the lid a third coat and will leave that to dry. Ive been putting on a coat of enamal and leaving it for 24 hrs in between. Today i tried scrapping a bita and i didnt get through to the plastic this time but to be honest if it peels off it adds to the look :D

I will take some pics tomoro when i come in from work as by the time i get to work on this it is always getting dark and the pics come out a bit crapy...

Regarding Krylon Fusion paint, if you read the can it says that you should let it dry for 7 days. I think it says you must apply the paint layers in 30 second intervals until you are satisfied, then let it dry 7 days.

Its ok im not using the krylon paint on this :rolleyes:

Ok i have 3 coats of paint on this now and its starting to look more like a trooper helmet. The khaki is quite hard to cover with white so i may put a final coat on. The good or bad news (depending on your point of view) is the paint no longer falls off at the slightest touch.

Here are some more wip pics for you good people...

TEHDPE040.jpg

TEHDPE042.jpg

TEHDPE043.jpg

TEHDPE044.jpg

TEHDPE046.jpg

TEHDPE047.jpg

Ok i have just painted the frown, traps and vocoder and didnt really have the best time..

The paint didnt seem to want to play nicely today and i think more went on me than on this lid. The grey seemed rather thin and watery today maybe it was the high heat i dont know. Anyway the right ear had to come off to fully paint the trap and what a fun job that was. Trying not to peel off all the paint was a job in its self but never mind...

TEHDPE050.jpg

TEHDPE051.jpg

TEHDPE052.jpg