helmets for larger heads

Forgive me if this has been asked before.  I've tried to do a forum search to see if that has happened and didn't come across anything so here goes

I've seen how there are various posts about armour fitting various body sizes, heights, genders and ages but I thought I'd check before making too much of an investment in a stormtrooper suit but seeing as I have a very large head and "one size does not fit all" when it comes to me.  Are the helmets kind of a standard size or can they accommodate someone with a larger head?

I did ask this on someone else's post and so I realise it may get edited or deleted or modified

Edited by scarecrow23

Forgive me if this has been asked before.  I've tried to do a forum search to see if that has happened and didn't come across anything so here goes

I've seen how there are various posts about armour fitting various body sizes, heights, genders and ages but I thought I'd check before making too much of an investment in a stormtrooper suit but seeing as I have a very large head and "one size does not fit all" when it comes to me.  Are the helmets kind of a standard size or can they accommodate someone with a larger head?

I did ask this on someone else's post and so I realise it may get edited or deleted or modified

Most helmets are big enough to fit all sizes of heads. If you really need a bigger helmet, I believe Rt-Mod helmets are a few % bigger vs the normal ones.

I have a big head and had a hard time finding a comfortable bucket espeically once you put all the electronics, fans etc.... I hooked up with Tony who I purchased my electrornics from and he said the best helmet for me would be the RT-mod. Well I got it in and it fits like a glove. I just put some fans in it and it is a little difficult to put on but once you are in it is awesome!!! Hope this helps out.

I've got a big head too. I found that playing around with the padding helps. That can adjust where the helmet sits front to back. By pushing it forward a bit, I found a lot of room. I still have to put it on sideways and twist, that's pretty common.

rt-mod has replied to me to say that he is backlogged for ages with orders but with regards to helmet size, it seems even his aren't going to fit me so I need to either somehow work out how to build my own or find someone who can modify an existing one.  That is, if I cant find a way to try one on

hey Dean,

how big/tall are you?

I always believed to have a rather big head, too, but I never ran into issues even with a Standard sized helmet fromTM.

If every single maker bows out, perhaps it is better you go with a vader ...

Tell us more, perhaps your fear is not valid.

I have the head of someone probably 7 feet tall but I am 6 feet tall.  My head/hat size is 26 inches or around 67cm.

I'm hoping to be able to try one on at some point and I may find that helmets fit me fine but based on current information, they wont

I bet you could wear a normal TK helmet. You just won't need padding, just the chinstrap to hold it steady.

You could mock one up roughly using a pepakura file and some common cardstock paper. Theres a fantastic one here (scroll down a bit for download).

It'll take a while to assemble, even roughly, but it's scaled true so it should give you a very good idea of fit.

Edited by Grimmers

• 1 year later...

Scarecrow23--Greetings! I'm brand new here.  But I was wondering if you have an update on your big helmet search?  I'm in a similar boat as you.  I'm 6'3 and I tried one of those The Black Series helmet sadly it's a no-go for me too.  So I measured my head and I'm sitting at a 26 1/4 inches.  I was just wondering have you had any luck in your search or what is your current progress?  Any knowledge that you could share with me would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you :)