Team Armor Build [NE]: ESB in Northern California

Haribon72

• 2 weeks later...

More information on the ESB handplates.

In the beginning, we had to understand the CRL for ESB hand plate requirements and research many scenes from the movie.

We came to conclusion that they are many different ESB hand plate shapes shown (in the movie).  We don't think a standard stencil was used within the Lucasfilm costume department.

During our research, we also noticed that the biceps didn't have any evidence of the "J-hooks and bicep straps" (unlike the ANH TKs).

Here are some photo references for everyone to ponder.  

12891498_636045253209384_279307553092742

12671909_636045306542712_444061425411430

12916920_636068796540363_332835122988472

12524404_636068819873694_698166126396066

We discovered that these hand plates weren't properly cut out.  This is the hand cuff scene on Chewbacca on Bespin.

12916336_636068826540360_212875325490766

12440283_636068829873693_290184075206679

It was definitely hard to identify the sewing patterns on some of the Stormtroopers.

12440631_636068866540356_773186746530622

This hand plate is missing a sewn thread.

12916947_636068926540350_737417926552036

12916873_636068959873680_124700857199588

12592507_636069089873667_216940276562103

I hope the images help.   Should any ESB TK vintage photos arise (especially behind the scenes or actual artifacts from the movie), we'll be sure to share it here.

I'm always checking out "Star Wars Vintage Photos" on Facebook for updates.

Edited by Haribon72

Very helpful images... thanks for posting those.

It looks like at least the more arcuate ridge on the handplate always faces the pinky, and the straighter one the thumb, but otherwise they don't seem very consistent in the cut or attachment.

• Like 1

Well thank god I didn't attach straps to my biceps... Is it a huge deal if I strap my handguards? Also I see that the wrists of the handguards kind of are flared is that what you're talking about Walter?

Hey Walter, so what's the big to do over bicep hooks? Whether or not to install them due to screen accuracy or L3 approved?

Hello Tony,   In 2014, one of our garrison brothers had to put on the bicep straps.    Here's the link and statement by Locitus:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27490-tk-24336-requesting-esb-eib-status-mtk405/?p=348464

After watching the movie scenes over and over, there's no evidence of bicep straps (unlike ANH).   I just want to ensure we cover all our bases for Omar's EIB and Centurion application.

If there's evidence that we missed, please let us know.    =)

I found more screen shots to share.

12322786_636045296542713_721697952004953

12901243_636068793207030_709281378762881

hahahahah!   This trooper is missing the sniper knee.

12919863_636811379799438_573832119719339

And this behind the scenes photo . . . 

12891138_636811143132795_517271571413903

Edited by Haribon72

Well thank god I didn't attach straps to my biceps... Is it a huge deal if I strap my handguards? Also I see that the wrists of the handguards kind of are flared is that what you're talking about Walter?

You can strap your hand guards for basic approval.

If you're applying for EIB and Centurion, you will have to sewn them to your silk or latex gloves.

The discussion above was about the various shapes and sizes of the ESB hand plates.   There are different types (all acceptable).    The flared out hand guards is one of them. 

Hello Tony,   In 2014, one of our garrison brothers had to put on the bicep straps.    Here's the link and statement by Locitus:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27490-tk-24336-requesting-esb-eib-status-mtk405/?p=348464

After watching the movie scenes over and over, there's no evidence of bicep straps (unlike ANH).   I just want to ensure we cover all our bases for Omar's EIB and Centurion application.

If there's evidence that we missed, please let us know.    =)

I found more screen shots to share.

hahahahah!   This trooper is missing the sniper knee.

And this behind the scenes photo . . . 

Are you concerned about accuracy or approvals?

150px-TK_esb_handplates.jpeg Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

• These shall be clam shell, or snowtrooper-style hand plates and not the trapezoidal design seen in A New Hope. The hand plates shall be mounted securely over the back of the glove.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• If rubber gloves are worn the hand plates are affixed via an elastic strap over the palm.
  • If silk or satin gloves are worn, the hand plates have the correct visible stitching pattern using black cotton, with a five point/star pattern, equally spread out with 2 on each side and 1 in the middle front, and needs to be double stitched at each point.

150px-TK_anh_stunt_gloves.jpeg Gloves

For 501st approval:

• Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

• Gloves shall be black rubber or rubber- like chemical gloves or black silk or satin.

You can strap your hand guards for basic approval.

If you're applying for EIB and Centurion, you will have to sewn them to your silk or latex gloves.

The discussion above was about the various shapes and sizes of the ESB hand plates.   There are different types (all acceptable).    The flared out hand guards is one of them. 

The CRL doesn't have a Centurion Requirement column for Gloves and handplates and it doesn't say they have to be sewn, there are 2 options. This is where I'm confused.

150px-TK_esb_handplates.jpeg Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

• These shall be clam shell, or snowtrooper-style hand plates and not the trapezoidal design seen in A New Hope. The hand plates shall be mounted securely over the back of the glove.

• If rubber gloves are worn the hand plates are affixed via an elastic strap over the palm.
  • If silk or satin gloves are worn, the hand plates have the correct visible stitching pattern using black cotton, with a five point/star pattern, equally spread out with 2 on each side and 1 in the middle front, and needs to be double stitched at each point.

150px-TK_anh_stunt_gloves.jpeg Gloves

For 501st approval:

• Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

• Gloves shall be black rubber or rubber- like chemical gloves or black silk or satin.

The CRL doesn't have a Centurion Requirement column for Gloves and handplates and it doesn't say they have to be sewn, there are 2 options. This is where I'm confused.

Whatever is required at L2 is required at L3 also, if applicable.

• Like 2

So they don't have to be sewn.

• Like 3

Thanks Tony and sorry for being pain I just really want to make this the best I can. I dont have the satin gloves and already have the other parts. Sorry Walter as well. I just wanted to be clear on this because I'm really following this thread closely for my build.

• Like 1

Thanks Tony and sorry for being pain I just really want to make this the best I can. I dont have the satin gloves and already have the other parts. Sorry Walter as well. I just wanted to be clear on this because I'm really following this thread closely for my build.

You're not being a pain, actually it's a good question I was just too lazy to give you a thumbs up  :duim:

• Like 2

Thank you Tony for jumping in and helping Dave out.

Dave, you're doing fine with your build.  Just take your time and feel free to ask questions.  Tony and I are here to help.    :salute:

• Like 1

Are you concerned about accuracy or approvals?

Hey Tony,

The ESB hand plates we're aiming for approval with the hopes that our findings and how-to demonstration will be highlighted someday.   There were no clear instructions before our time and we'd like to share with the community our findings.   Just a small contribution to help future ESB builds. 

As for the ESB bicep hooks, please advise us if Locitus's statement is still valid.   I know they gave our garrison brother a hard time about it.

Edited by Haribon72

Hey Tony,

The ESB hand plates we're aiming for approval with the hopes that our findings and how-to demonstration will be highlighted someday.   There were no clear instructions before our time and we'd like to share with the community our findings.   Just a small contribution to help future ESB builds. 

As for the ESB bicep hooks, please advise us if Locitus's statement is still valid.   I know they gave our garrison brother a hard time about it.

Thanks for sharing Walter. It was my ESB regarding the bicep straps but I don't believe it comes down to approval without them. It is more a matter of speculation since the ESB suits were mainly re-purposed ANH ones right? The common consensus is most of J hooks were damaged thus not used while filming ESB. The bicep straps were there on most of the ESB suits but since the J hooks are missing the bicep straps slid out of sight on many of the TK actors.

Locitus' position was two fold - 1) having the bicep strap helps our armor look more fitted and 2) it is reasonable to believe that they were still on some of the suits. IMO, it would be correct either way but in the end it's how we appear to our fans right? And don't we want to look our best all the time while in the public eye? The movie set suits only had to look good for a few minutes on screen and could get away with some ill fitting armor parts, we are not as fortunate. I have been in armor for 8 hours straight for my longest troop.

I for one am glad to have the bicep straps. Not having the J hook is fine with me.

But if you look closely at this TK's left bicep, you can see the horizontal black line of the bicep strap. But since his arms are so long the bicep is hanging much lower than on most of us.

gallery_14191_5_62104.jpg

• Like 2

I went with nomex gloves and elastic strapping on my ESB hand plates for basic and EIB approval. I was advised if I want to continue to use the same hand plates, I would only need to don a set of rubber gloves. 

IMO, I would go this route for two reasons: 1) fabric gloves give you more options for breathable fabrics, 2) you can use the same hand plates for your Basic, EIB, and Centurion approvals. Just need a set of rubber gloves to use for approval.

Good luck and no problem asking for help, just make sure the question hasn't already been asked dozens of times  or  isn't readily available by doing a little research first.

I have always said. I'm no one special, if I could find the information, anyone can!  :duim:

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 3

I think the bicep elastic was a must IMO, if not the bells would have been flopping all over the place, and echoing what Mathias said. The "J" hook is, and will always be optional. Most of the accuracy clan will tell you today NOT to use "J" hooks anyway because they inadvertently hold the bicep higher then it should. The lower edge should reside directly in front of the elbow with little to no gap between it and the forearm. That said we all know that armor position would be unbearable after a while of trooping. Can you say pinch point? Regardless, neither are required at any level of approvals because they are not seen.  

• Like 3

I went with nomex gloves and elastic strapping on my ESB hand plates for basic and EIB approval. I was advised if I want to continue to use the same hand plates, I would only need to don a set of rubber gloves. 

IMO, I would go this route for two reasons: 1) fabric gloves give you more options for breathable fabrics, 2) you can use the same hand plates for your Basic, EIB, and Centurion approvals. Just need a set of rubber gloves to use for approval.

Good luck and no problem asking for help, just make sure the question hasn't already been asked dozens of times  or  isn't readily available by doing a little research first.

I have always said. I'm no one special, if I could find the information, anyone can!  :duim:

Oh you're special all right hahaha

• Like 4

Time to remove the ANH scope.  I'm using a Lenox close quarter hack saw to remove it.

1401390_624889430991633_1493454492492385

12841207_624889437658299_9144770702486611654783_624889467658296_1668144600431287

Why do you say "ANH scope" here and why did it need to be removed for an ESB build? It looks like you've hacked off an M19/M32 scope off your blaster. Is that right? While the M19 certainly did appear in ANH, it was even more common in ESB. In comparison, M38 scopes are significantly more rare in ESB and more prevalent in ANH.

Edited by Nagedzi
  • Like 1