What to expect/typical troop?

Millar007

Hi all - hoping to be able to get my 501st membership in the new year (armor will be arriving shortly), and I'm spending lots of time reading various threads about the build. But one thing I'm curious about is what to actually expect at my first formal troop. Obviously they're all different, but any general insights??

I have no idea what a TK troop will be like, yet, but I am having a blast with my Tusken.

Best way to get a good feel is to be in contact with your local squad and volunteer to handle with them. You can be their eyes, since visibility is limited with buckets on. You can carry their camera or a phone to record the smiles that kids have when seeing troopers. Even parents have huge smiles when holding a blaster next to a Stormtrooper.

Most of all, just have fun and the kids will have fun!

• Like 2

Some great advice from Jeff there!  A few things you might want to remember on your first (and all troops for that matter) are:

1.  Be prepared-  Double (and triple) check your armor and make sure you have all your accessories before leaving your house, and be hydrated!  I would suggest carrying a small repair kit in your bin as well, with items like white duct tape, CA glue with accelerator, etc.  There is a great thread here for this:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/45-chookabooms-emergency-troop-kit/

2.  BE ON TIME.  When you sign up for a troop, they will have an arrival time, (usually an hour or do before), and a "step off" time.  The hour gives you the chance to get your armor on, and make any adjustments.  If there are no "handlers", any fellow trooper will be glad to help you help you out.  The POC (point of contact) person for the troop will give you any details you might need beforehand, (directions, special notes).  Feel free to ask them any specific questions.

3.  Be aware of you surroundings-  Due to the limited visibility in a bucket, watch out for curbs, steps, obstacles, children, etc.

Also, be patient when people ask for photos, especially children.  Often, they will ask "Can I hold your gun"?  That is entirely up to you.  A lot of us have spent a great deal of time building our weapons, and they (especially the resin cast) can be damaged if dropped.  Many of us carry Hyperfirms for this reason.   

(Side note):  Always remember to NEVER point your weapon at a child for any reason, not even for a photo.  It's just tasteless.

Try to answer the call of nature before suiting up.  (Trust me).

Just as Jeff said, volunteering to be a handler while you wait will give you invaluable insights, and you will also get the chance to meet some of your fellow 501st members.  Most of all have fun!

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

I'll pile on the notion of being a handler first.  That will help you understand the environment without the extra burden of the armor.

The only other thing not covered in the other posts is to be ready to have your picture taken.  A lot.  At a larger event, you will probably need your handler's help to get through the crowd if there are time-sensitive portions of the day.  Also, look at some pictures from previous events and see what poses work well.  Figure out what to do with your hands and blaster in advance and you won't have to fumble around during picture time.

Have fun!  

Pretty much what everyone said. Have fun! Smile even though they can't see it. Get into character, you are the elite of the Empire; but don't be afraid to act silly, especially for the kids that might be afraid. Also, I find that if a kid is unsure about you, holding your E-11 to the side and leaning forward to give a high-five helps out a lot.

People love taking selfies with a TK. Ask them to turn the phone sideways; makes it easier to get the pic. 

• Like 1

They are right on track.  I forgot to mention that once the costume goes on, we become celebrities and many, many people will want photos with us. People of all ages. I don't know how many grandparents have taken pix with me to send to their son, their daughter, or their grandkids.

Another fun activity while suited up is the Photobomb!    If you see someone taking pictures near you,  step off to the side, but still in view so they will find you when they look at their pictures later, but didn't realize you were standing there.  Here's one from Saturday when I was walking past a photo and stopped for a moment. I kept walking and they never made a comment about me.
p3sjDTY.jpg

Just having a little fun!

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 1

I LOVE photobombs!  Chris also was right on the money when he mentioned that small kids will often be apprehensive, or even scared when they see you.  What I do personally when I see this is to raise my arm, and slowly wave my fingers up and down, as if say "hello"!   I also tilt my head to the side a bit, or do something funny to set them at ease.  The high five or fist bump also helps a lot!  Speaking of which, I learned a cool thing from a fellow trooper... he does the "exploding" fist bump, then says "ALDERAAN"...  (The kids may not get it, but the grown-ups certainly do).   Not advisable if there is a "Princess Leia" character anywhere near, though...  ;)

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Definitely look up your local garrison/squad/members and get involved.  I third being a handler- it's actually a lot of fun in itself and since viability is so poor in most helmets, they need extra eyes.  You can also learn a lot by watching and helping them suit up and take off, as to how things go together and what's optimum for comfort and wear-ability.  Also take a ton of pictures while you're at it, and offer to take pictures for attendees so they can get in the shot with their kids if they want.  

High fives seem to be very well received all around.  Some kids are going to be afraid no matter what, others will run right up and start telling you their life story (which is usually hilarious in itself).  

• Like 1

My first troop...the only advice I got was - "Just pick someone you know...then follow them closely and pretend you know what you are doing. The rest will come and In no time you will be a pro. When you put that bucket on in public for the first time...you will understand"

Spot on.