"Split Butt Plate"?

Hello all,

Quick question for the group. It was recommended to me that in building (or having built) my armor I modify it with a "split butt plate". The reason for this being beneficial is, as I understand, three fold.

1. It makes it easy to mount the armor on a mannequin with the supporting post going in the small of the back.

2. It makes it easier to sit. I know it is ill advised to sit in the suit but if I am standing for long periods of time I may find it necessary. I do not plan on making a habit out of it.

3. I have also understood some 501st(s) require this modification.

I have reached out to RS Prop Masters as asked them to perform this modification and they only respond with "we don't recommend you ever sit down in the suit". I have been unable to get an answer as to whether or not they can or will perform this modification.

So I guess I am asking for a consensus from the group if this modification is beneficial? What exactly is the modification? Have you all performed this modification on your suits? If RS is unwilling or unable to do the modification and you recommend it how  would I go about having it done? This is my first suit and a very big expenditure for me. Based on my limited knowledge, skill, and tools the last thing I would want to do is damage a perfectly good suit unnecessarily.

The reason I am asking this now, as I don't have the suit, is that if you all feel it is beneficial I will try and implore RS to do the modification.

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

RS has this already.

This mod is for older generations of armour where the butt plate is integral with the kidney plate as a larger piece.

Original film used armour pictured:--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Like real old armor.

I haven't recently seen any armor where the lower back is still one piece ...

With RS you can rest assured, they will make it correctly.

Anyway, sitting in armor is not recommended, but if you practise enough, you will at least achieve some kind of lounge slouching.

Like real old armor.

I haven't recently seen any armor where the lower back is still one piece ...

With RS you can rest assured, they will make it correctly.

Anyway, sitting in armor is not recommended, but if you practise enough, you will at least achieve some kind of lounge slouching.

LOL.  I have mastered this one.  Although, getting up from this position requires considerable leg strength and dexterity.

Is there an art to sitting in these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious to know this too.  I plan on wearing my suit to Ep VII and there's no way I'm going to stand during the whole movie...haha.