Newbie ESB Build

Recently I started a thread in ANH but have decided to go ESB.
The kit is a AM 2.0 . So here we go!
Started on the helmet let me know what you think. Letting the black dry as I will be cleaning it up and starting the gray tomorrow.
My question is do you think I need to trim the ears to a lower profile?

Mandatory Information

Name = Michael Howard

TK ID = 

FISD Forum Name = Superbee

Garrison = Golden Gate Garrison

Armor = AM 2.0 

Helmet = AM 2.0

Blaster = HyperFirm

Height = 6'1"

Weight = 235 LBS

Boots = TK Boots

Canvas belt = TKittell

Hand Plates/ Gloves = AM / Chemical Rubber

Electronics = Acker & iComm

Neck Seal = Darman

Holster = Darman

image_16.jpg

Edited by Superbee

They painting Looks good so far! Well done.

Did you use the decals that were sent with your kit? I used them on my ESB Bucket and realized after finishing it they were ANH style!

Does anyone of the more experienced ones know if this can be an issue for approval? I believe it will be, yes?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Edited by BenFriday77
  • Like 1

Great to see your build on FISD Mike! Plus another ESB TK for our garrison too :)<br>

I think you are on the right track so far. The helmet is the toughest part and rightfully so, as it is the one part people look at the most, so just take your time.<br>

Any slight over paint can be cleaned up with the tip of a toothpick dipped in paint thinner if necessary. That's what I did to sharpen up any details.<br>

The ears should be fine for basic 501st approval. Keep up the great work.

Edited by toybiz

Great to see your build on FISD Mike! Plus another ESB TK for our garrison too :)<br>

I think you are on the right track so far. The helmet is the toughest part and rightfully so, as it is the one part people look at the most, so just take your time.<br>

Any slight over paint can be cleaned up with the tip of a toothpick dipped in paint thinner if necessary. That's what I did to sharpen up any details.<br>

The ears should be fine for basic 501st approval. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Adam , you have bin a great help and also Tony and Chris . Thanks guys .

Detonator help please ! &lt;br&gt;<br><br>

The blue tape indicates 1 1/16 inch aluminum clips that I do not have yet but they are exact measurement . The overall length of the detonator is 7 5/8 inch . Detonator controls are straight from manufacture to me it looks narrow , as it does not overlap the blue tape halfway on each side . Is this a problem ?????

image_13.jpg

Edited by Superbee 70

I've also started trimming on my forearms let me know if this looks like I'm going to be cutting too much out the one on the right is original one on the left has been trimmed.

image_12.jpg

image_11.jpg

Edited by Superbee 70

Someone asked me in another post what tools I'm using to cut out helmets and other parts of armor here's a pic!

image_14.jpg

image_15.jpg

Edited by Superbee 70

Ok fellows it took a little time but I've made my first cuts !!!! Started the forearms , Does this look right ??????

image_19.jpg

image_21.jpg

image_20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,<br>

They look about right, but it's all about how they fit on your arms. I personally believe armor isn't designed to be a second skin but it shouldn't look like there's room for a jacket either.<br>

The wrist area should have all the return edges removed and a small lip on the elbow side to give the illusion of armor thickness.<br>

Keep up the great work and take your time!

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 1

They painting Looks good so far! Well done.

Did you use the decals that were sent with your kit? I used them on my ESB Bucket and realized after finishing it they were ANH style!

Does anyone of the more experienced ones know if this can be an issue for approval? I believe it will be, yes?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hello! I found these references on Starwarshelmets.com.

You should be fine.

newesb_decalcolour.jpg

newesb_decaltube.jpg

The author, Jez, did a great article on the ESB helmet.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/newESBChristies.htm

Hello Michael, great start on your ESB build.   We'll be following you to the finish line!   :duim:

Detonator help please ! &lt;br&gt;<br><br>

The blue tape indicates 1 1/16 inch aluminum clips that I do not have yet but they are exact measurement . The overall length of the detonator is 7 5/8 inch . Detonator controls are straight from manufacture to me it looks narrow , as it does not overlap the blue tape halfway on each side . Is this a problem ?????

image_13.jpg

Michael, if you haven't ordered TD clips yet.... please reach out to Tony (UKSwrath).   You should be able to get them pretty quick.

Here's a game plan for your TD:

1. Measure the grey pipe to 7.5 inches and mark it. 

2. Minus 0.25 inch, mark it, and cut the pipe.  This will leave at the 7.25 inch mark.

3. Add the end caps and that will give you the 7.5 inch requirement.

IMG_6119.JPG

4. Add the TD clips, drill the pilot hole, and install the screws.

5. At this point, you can gauge the TD controller plate like this . . . 

IMG_6143.JPG

Here's an original TD from LFL archives.

gallery_12157_51_33329.jpg

Edited by Haribon72

Thanks for chiming in Walter I really could use your help ? I'm on the local list for mentorship . ( hopefully not for too long ) I've got Tony Adam and Chris all on speed dial on my phone ! Lol! <br>

My problem is that the centerpiece on the thermal detonator is too short I will probably have to add a little shimming to it to get it to the right length to match the center of the screws . I'm going to get with Tony and order some clips . i'm still working on my shopping list . I really appreciate all the support in my new long journey , thanks again guys !

• Like 1

For the record, all you need to focus on Michael is the CRL requirements (below). The face plate, tube diameter and end cap width will all vary between armors. Most of these differences won't make a lick of difference with approvals.

Thermal Detonator
For 501st approval:
  • (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.
    • The cylinder is between 2” (50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

For level two certification (if applicable):
  • Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.
  • Like 1

For the record, all you need to focus on Michael is the CRL requirements (below). The face plate, tube diameter and end cap width will all vary between armors. Most of these differences won't make a lick of difference with approvals.

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

• (A.K.A. O2 canister) attaches to the center back of the belt.
  • Detonator consists of an all grey cylinder, without silver stickers or silver paint.

• The cylinder is between 2” (50mm) and 2.68"(68mm) in diameter with white end caps on each end.
  • The white control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer style detail closest to the right end cap.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.

Thank you , I've read so much lately , and learning everyday .

Here's my progress to date and have been working on a few items when the kids are down thanks for looking

Cut and trimmed , first try at paint , I may try again .

image_33.jpg

TD waiting on clips .

image_34.jpg

Edited by Superbee 70